Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27195 Fri Jun 04 2004 09:09 PM
D
DL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
A few years ago I had ad glass inserts that read "Skelly Keotane". I threw them away, never thinking they may have value. What was keotane? A premium gas or low-lead? And would those glass inserts have been worth anything today? Just curious. Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#27196 Sat Jun 05 2004 10:11 AM
Skelly Keotane was a premium grade gas brand from 1956-71, superseding the earlier premium Skelly Fortified or Supreme. Skelly ad glass often has red, white and blue colors with stars and stripes making them nicely graphic. They are certainly collectible. The very long skinny ad glass used on 1960s modern T pumps are not as in demand as the older ad glass around a foot in length. Even the plainest of old ad glass are "keepers" in my opinion. Several nice pair of Skelly ad glass on eBay this past year have gone over $50. Most sell for way less. Here is an example:

Your Keotane probably had a white background with red and blue lettering and logo. Newer ones had no logo, just lettering.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#27197 Sat Jun 05 2004 11:45 AM
D
DL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, Oldgas. It must have been a newer one, because it just had red, white, & blue lettering. Probably wasn't worth much. I threw away a whole bunch of gas memorabilia a few years ago, thinking it was worthless. And this was before ebay (and before gas memorabilia collecting became such a huge hobby). Wish I'd kept a lot of that stuff.

#27198 Sun Jun 06 2004 10:19 PM
P
P
Hi DL, Which way did you throw them?? I'm not a vendor, strictly an overenthusiastic collector of Texas-based companies. Inevitably, I wind up with quantities of other items. I have about six good Skelly globes lurking around the garage right now, but no real interest in them. They are admittedly too attractive to hurl at the coyotes that come around and howl at night, so some day they will go to a swap meet. I've found a surefire way to thin out the garage -- take stuff to a swap meet and put on prices low enough to ensure that you won't have to lug them back home. Invariably, someone comes along and grabs it with both hands and grins all the way to the
parking lot. Everyone seems happy -- I have a bit more room in the garage and enough spare change to keep us in refreshments, and the buyer has a new treasure for his collection. Someone out there collects almost everything!! John

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved