Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#273112 Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00 PM
OP Offline
I am going to start the disassembly of my pump in the morning, and just wandering if there are any tricks of the trade that I need to know?

I went out this afternoon and sprayed PB Blaster on all the nuts and bolts so they could soak overnight.I have built a few old cars so I am familiar with the pain in the _ _ _ rusted bolts!This is the first visible that I have taken apart and I just want to make sure I dont break the original glass cylinder!!!!

G&B full pump Pic.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
55gasser #273133 Fri Sep 09 2011 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When taking the glass out turn each nut about 1/2 turn each day and I believe the guys soak the white caulking stuff, can't remember what it is called, with brake cleaner to loosen it up. This takes the poressure off the glass a little at a time and in an even fashion. If you start taking the nuts all the way off in one shot in an uneven manner the glass may crack or explode. It may take a few days to get the cylinder out.

Keith

Last edited by keithia; Fri Sep 09 2011 06:48 PM.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #273136 Fri Sep 09 2011 06:59 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
After you get the top and glass out, lay it on it's side. The skins support alot of the pump assembly and if the casting that connects the pump to the base is broken it will cause your skins to bend after you take the one side off. Richard

keithia #273143 Fri Sep 09 2011 08:08 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: keithia
When taking the glass out turn each nut about 1/2 turn each day and I believe the guys soak the white caulking stuff, can't remember what it is called, with brake cleaner to loosen it up. This takes the poressure off the glass a little at a time and in an even fashion. If you start taking the nuts all the way off in one shot in an uneven manner the glass may crack or explode. It may take a few days to get the cylinder out.

Keith

Man,I was ready to start twisting wrenches in the morning.Now it looks like I had better twist them slowly!1/2 a turn a day? How many days should I do this? Most of the white chalky stuff has already fallen out so I guess I am ahead of the game in that area. I guess there was a reason I thought I should ask this question!!!!!

Last edited by 55gasser; Fri Sep 09 2011 08:10 PM.
55gasser #273146 Fri Sep 09 2011 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can actually get a jump ahead by picking at and removing all of the caulking that you can. I believe that this takes some of the pressure off the glass too. When you loosen the bolts, take the turns on opposite bolts, meaning that you should loosen bolts directly across from each other, in sequence. Keeps the pressure uniform around the cylinder. I've never broken one by loosening too fast but I've talked to plenty of people that have!
The best advice in the world on these is to take your time and if you're in doubt, STOP, and ask questions!
After you have the cylinder out, lay it on a couple saw horses with the side down that supports the pump assembly. Then you can unbolt it without problems. Good luck and be sure to take picture for reassembly!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #273150 Fri Sep 09 2011 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pump good luck gasser.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
LC 336 #273154 Fri Sep 09 2011 10:37 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am really surprised that everyone is telling you to grab that wrench and start turning. Keep in mind, something might happen next month that might put this progect off for months, so my advice is to grab that camera and take pictures everytime you remove anything.
I have a St. Louis Visible waiting to be finished, it has only been two years since I took it apart, (actually for me that isn't very long), but when I get back to it, it will be very easy to put together because I took over 200 pictures of it coming apart.
Things come apart easily, it is remebering how they go back together that is hard.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #273168 Sat Sep 10 2011 06:13 AM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
All great advice on the glass and I too take pictures of the disassembly. Some timers hits us fast.

Thanks, Phil
OP Offline
Thanks for all the advise guys! The camera is on the work bench.

I have the bonnet removed,(the birds must have loved these visibles) took a wire brush to all the bolts and relubed,all the white chalky material has been removed and vaccumed out of the groove.I put a good amount of oil around the bottom of the cylinder to help soften up the cork gasket.

Now my question is do I remove the center section out of the top assembly or do I remove it as one unit?

How do you remove the gallon markers? Do they just slide in the hole (Ha Ha) or do they screw in?

55gasser #273213 Sat Sep 10 2011 09:48 AM
OP Offline
I went ahead and removed the center section out of the top and figured out how to remove the gallon markers.One of the set bolts on the gallon marker was a PAIN.It was already striped out and coroded and I had to bring out the vise grips! But I got er done!!

I have went around in a cris-cros patern and loosened all the cylinder rods.(THIS WAS AND IS NERVE RACKING!)

So far so good! (lets hope it stays that way)

55gasser #273251 Sat Sep 10 2011 05:04 PM
OP Offline
Well,it was a successful day! I got the cylinder removed without breaking it! Everything went pretty good,had to use alot of PB Blaster a little heat and alot of muscle but I have got it disassembled.

I didnt have the patience to do the 1/2 turn a day as recomended.Once I got a 1/2 turn on all the rods some were loose and I could tell there wasnt much pressure on the cylinder so I went for it.I may have just got lucky!

The worst problem I have as far as rust goes is the bonnet.(darn bird nest) The top was packed full of nesting material and I guess every time it rained it got wet and ate away at the metal.Anyway I have a hole about the size of a baseball. Right now I have it in the electrolysis vat so in the morning It will probably be bigger than a softball!

G&B Bonnet.jpg G&B cylinder.jpg G&B disassembled top.jpg G&B disassembled bottom.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved