Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#273584 Mon Sep 12 2011 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Having bought 3 old pumps of various makes, a few weeks back, I'm finally getting around to cleaning them up and part of the process for me is to gut the pump out! Now I am not a stranger to this process and I can usually gut any pump out in under an hour!
Along comes the "BENNETT 371"! My god the engineer that designed this thing must have laid awake at night, trying to dream up creative new ideas to make it difficult to work on! Some of the bolts that are necessary to remove can only be reached thru a lengthy and organized process in order to access them! This dirty rotten thing took me about 2 1/2 hours to nget gutted out! Thank goodness for the sawzall!
Maybe part of it is difficult because I always gut them out at the farm without any help and that means they are standing up the whole time. It would be a little easier at times if I could tip the darn things over to access some of the harder bolts but I'm not offered that luxury.
It would be interesting to hear from some of you other pump guys, as to your thoughts on the biggest PAIN IN THE @$$ to work on! I'm sure there are some opinions out there!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K W FRITH #273602 Mon Sep 12 2011 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have built a few Dual-Dual Bennett guts in a Universal frame, two pumping units, two motors, two meters, two computers, with electric resets and 3/4 main and 1/8 reduction Skinner Valves...HEAVY!!!!!the same with Tokheim tired

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
K W FRITH #273627 Mon Sep 12 2011 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The guts were installed before the skins were put on at the Bennett factory. If you remove the skins the bolts would have been easy to get to. Those are a bear to gut with the skins on !
The hardest pump I ever gutted was a Tokheim double blending pump. I am talking about the Tokeim blender not the Wayne blendomtic. This thing was a monster inside!
Heavy son of a gun!!! Sore back material for sure.
Rob

Last edited by Gas Pump Rob; Mon Sep 12 2011 09:39 PM.
Gas Pump Rob #273659 Tue Sep 13 2011 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yep Bennett 371 is probably the worst I have worked on. I hate the clamp brackets on the pipe frame. You can't get to all the nuts because the skins are in the way. I end up using the sawzall, hammer and prybar to get them off. Love the pump though as they are one of my favorites.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #273662 Tue Sep 13 2011 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A dremel with a cutoff wheel would probably work really well on the clamps that can't be reached. Just cut them off.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved