Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27440 Tue Jan 17 2006 10:03 AM
Tokheim Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
What do you guys do for pump keys for pumps that used door and panel locks? Are these keys available or do you drill and replace the lock, or some of both?

This Wayne 70 I have has a locked access panel on the side where I imagine you reach in and unlatch the doors from inside, it would be nice to have a key. Probably all the same but maybe not. (Would have been very handy the night I ripped it off the standpipe.)

I know that Tokheim for instance used a TPX key for generations, maybe even back to the 300's and 39's? Those I have.

Thanks,
Tok

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#27441 Tue Jan 17 2006 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I replace the lock and keys. You can get them at any local hardware store. I have not had a problem getting in one yet but you may take the glass and faceplate off and maybe reach in to unlatch the doors.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#27442 Tue Jan 17 2006 10:40 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
This is a task but if you take the pump to your locksmith they can make a key to open the lock. If it is rusted or corroded then I drill it out & replace it.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#27443 Tue Jan 17 2006 06:06 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Hi Tok. If the lock assy is in poor shape and can not be cleaned up I replace it. If it is good and you can remove the lock cylinder from the lock, I use a pair of needle nose plyers and pull out the little brass key slots. After re-assy. you can use a flat head screw driver as the key. Richard

#27444 Wed Jan 18 2006 05:15 AM
Tokheim Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info/input fellows....I'll admit I figured people would say:
Same model pumps use the same key, and we all have a ring of them that we've acquired over the years.
How can it be a restoration if you change the lock....KIDDING!
Since the glass and everything is secure and intact and the lock is in good shape on this specific 70 I think I'll try a batch of misc. pump keys our service guys have first and maybe I'll get lucky. Then certainly one of the options below.
---
I mean above!
Here's to us all getting lucky.
---

Thanks again, OLDGAS IS THE KEY TO PETRO KNOWLEDGE!

[This message has been edited by tokheim (edited 01-18-2006).]

#27445 Wed Jan 18 2006 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Tokheim:

You can 'make' your own key if you want to mess around with it. It'll save you hauling the pump to your local locksmith.

Once you find a key that will insert into the lock itself, go to your locksmith shop and purchase 3-4 blanks of that key style.

Once home, 'paint' the keyed side of the key blank with an 'El Marko' or other type of permanent marker and insert the key into the slot. Wiggle the key as if you were turning it in the lockset a few times and remove the blank. Using a small triangular file, file down the areas where the marker has been scraped by the key indexes inside. Just take a little off and then re-mark those areas. Keep repeating these steps until you don't see any more witness marks on the key blank. Some areas will be shallow and some will be deep - but sooner or later you will get enough material removed for the key to work.

You might eat up a couple of key blanks getting it right - but it works and it'll save you the $20 -$30 charge at the Locksmiths.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved