Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paddy I was just kidding with you... I want to move more the country but three things are stopping me, distance to starbucks, cable internet and my wife. If I two out of the three I would be happy, I wont say which two...
I have cable internet and would die without it. With that said I hooked up whats called tethering to my cell phone, it cost me an extra $10 a month on top of my blackberry data plan, I can have internet from anywhere I have phone service. I will check the Aumman and Matthews auction thing on line the next time they have one. Maybe that was

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
S
I live about 6 miles outside of town, no cable, no dsl. The 28k dial-up was killing me. Could have gone with satellite, but heard there are issues with it. I just this month went with a wireless service that uses line of sight to strategically placed dishes on towers. $100 to install, $45 a month. I have a dish that looks like a satellite dish, but it's pointed at a tower about 4 miles away. It's quick, like 512k or something like that. Love it. Course, now easier access means more surfing and buying stuff....

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sure is alot of choices...like too many items on a menu....maybe wireless is the way to go..
Paddy has the need for speed.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
This wont solve your problem immediately;however, you (and as many people you can get) should call and write to your Public Service Board (or whatever the agency is called in your area) and demand cable and or DSL service to your area. Most boards require ISPs to add coverage to rural areas as part of licensing. Most ISPs delay this as long as they can. Its truly a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. Keep on them.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
D
D
We had Wildblue and it worked quite well. Then DSL was made available. Sell you all the Wildblue stuff cheep.

Hunter71
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One of our salesmen has Wildblue at his home office...cell phones do not work there. He says it's great but he had dial-up before that.

Heard talk of another of our guys going that way also so perhaps we have a use for the equipment Doug if Paddy or another oldgasser is not interested. I'll check that out.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Like it goes....a country boy can survive..
Thanks everyone

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hughes net has nationwide coverage for satellite high speed internet connection. Provided you have clear view to the southwest. It isn't cheap though. Good luck.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Hey Powerlube...don't apologize...that's good Jersey humor...

P
P
Wildblue works for me.....sometimes lose the signal during thunder storms.....but otherwise service is dependable.

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
S
S
I'm with Jim, go wireless. A few years ago I was in the same boat (dial up only). I bought an "Air Card" for my laptop and it worked very well. I finally got DSL about a year ago and makes everything else seem snail paced. I still use my Air Card when I'm on the road or even when the DSL is on the fritz.
Key thing would be to find which Cellular provider has the best coverage at you residence and go with them. Most providers have Wireless Cards and some even give you a 30-day trial period. Good Luck...unless you are bidding against me on E-bay, then stick to dial up, hehe

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
how secure is wireless?

Paddy
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think you should just give up, get frustrated, and threaten to quit posting on Old Gas.

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
I hope that was a joke, Hemibird.

Normal Internet traffic is not secure. It is remotely possible for a snooper to see email and Web content in transit.

That is why everyone should make sure that any sensitive information like credit card numbers should only be entered on a secure site that starts with "https://" instead of "http://"

The second concern is someone hacking into your network to get into your computer or on the Web posing as your identity. That is why everyone who has a local wireless network in their home should configure the optional secure setting. It is not that hard to do, but it really cuts your risk.

The Wireless Broadband system is set up to be secure from intruders because it protects the wireless company from outsiders getting in free to their network. In the process, users are protected too.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i have wireless for my laptop & dsl for my home pc........

if going wireless you will need a good wireless signal (same as your cell phone signal} where you live or wherever you will be using it....its very easy to set up a secure wireless connection, however you should always use the other protection, firewall & anti-virus..........

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved