Print Thread
#27822 Thu Sep 18 2008 06:18 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hi All --

I have a National 360 with porcelain panels that are in pretty good shape. They were covered in several layers of paint, which I'm in the process of removing with aircraft remover. The porcelain underneath looks real good, but a little dull. What is the best way to polish this back to a nice shine? I've got some Turtle white polishing compound I was thinking of using. Also, I've used Feed n Wax on some signs before, but wanted to see if it was possible to restore the shine in the porcelain before "applying" a shine to it.

Thanks
Chris

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#27823 Thu Sep 18 2008 03:49 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Never had much luck polishing porcelain.....usually just made them worse. I have clear coated porcelain though and it does a good job.

#27824 Fri Sep 19 2008 02:43 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
You cannot polish it, the surface is too brittle to accept a shine. Because enamel is not a level surface, polishing tends to grind it flat and ruin the coloring. Simply remove rust stains and grease with lye and/or acid and apply the clear coat. The results will be beautiful! That said I have yet to see an enameled panel with a "dull" appearance after cleaning. That stuff is gorgeous and impervious to the elements!

Antique? It's new to me.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved