Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Speaking for myself, I haven't cut back on the hobby... Just posting on the 2 websites.

Honestly I lose patience with a lot of the "new collectors". The amount of information that is readily available is unlimited, but instead of doing research themselves they expect the membership here to "regurgitate" values and uses for items and..... as if they were baby birds that are helpless.

Collectors who started collecting BEFORE the internet, before the collector books and before the magazines; were able to determine values. How do you think the Author's of all these works came up with the values for their guides? They did their "Homework", they actually did some research themselves. Why can't those who have all these resources available to them at the touch of a key stroke right now, do the same thing?

I have even read posts here where a new member will berate the membership because they didn't answer fast enough or didn't give the answer or value the "newby" wanted to "hear".

Honestly even the most gruff and the biggest "Pains in the ***" on Old Gas (I've been told I'm towards the head of that list along with db) will answer questions if asked politely. And more than a few new people have asked politely.

I haven't met a Collector yet, whether in person, by phone or by email who doesn't want to advance the hobby.

By the same token I haven't met an experienced collector yet, who will readily help anyone who belittles them and their knowledge.

So has there been a "Mass Exodus" of Experienced Collectors leaving the Hobby? Honestly, I believe the answer is no. Has there been a drop in participation by those same collectors on the different websites? The answer has to be a resounding, YES. They are still collecting, maybe not as much as a few years ago. But they are still collecting.... Some because of people who have abused their generosity, will not post photos of their collections. Some because of attacks on different websites, just lurk.... And some just leave the 'net, but for the most part those who collect... are always collectors...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, You are spot on with your comments.The net is a wonderful tool today for the advancement and pleasure of the world of collectors,but hustle and beating the bushes and some luck got most of the veterans where they stand today! Just my 2 cents!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, you've said a lot of the things that I was thinking of.

In my opinion, its not that were leaving the hobby, were just leaving this forum. There has been a HUGE lack of etiquette here lately! There has been a HUGE amount of "He's picking on me"! And PLEASE dont forget, the the frivolous posts, or "I wish I was closer". Now I've had run ins with a few of the forum members, whos actions have been unlawful! And frankly, I'm tired of it.

I chose to keep the peace, and not name names, or cite certain situations, in answering this. But the fact still stands, I for one, will only participate here in a limited manner, and will most likely only lurk, until some of this stuff gets resolved.

Last edited by Thunder II; Thu Oct 13 2011 06:22 PM.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Just to say something that was brought to my attention last weekend at a swap meet. Every and I mean every person I talked to that has or is on Old gas has said to me that they are tired of the bickering and would not go here as often because of it. People as I was told and I completely agree are not use to some peoples humor or joking and actions if they do not or can not see them personally.
I DO KNOW that sometimes my remarks or humor may not be taken right by someone who isn't around me all the time. I just do not realize it until sometimes it is too late.
Many people are still here, but as the last person said just checking in now and then and not posting.
We still look for things, and seek help from the many more long time collectors to help us in our projects or just to talk.

But I was shocked at how many people said to me that the bickering just was too much.

For what it is worth.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think both Bob and Thunder are right on with their comments.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Great posts by BOB, Thunder II & Craig Osbeck. THANK YOU!

I also agree with Thunder II (page 2) that OLDGAS is the BEST FORUM on the web. I have met great veteran members from this site & learned a lot from them & continue learning from them. I may be new to this hobby (since 2005), however, I bring in over 20 years of experience in antique collecting (Americana + American Steel Toys). So, I have an advantage. I know one thing I learned over the years that a beginner MUST RESPECT & LISTEN to a VETERAN collector. Never ARGUE with one!

Also, IMO, veteran members should also respect a new collector that decides to decorate his/her garage with fantasy signs + lenses, restored signs, reproduction signs + lenses.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Thunder,Craig,Tara and all.May I make a suggestion?Might you ask others to read this thread?Hopefully this discussion really can help shape the hobby for the better.

I'm doing just that around here and discussing thoughts posted on this thread with several collectors.The discussions seem to at least get them to thinking about how we do things.I'm just saying to me it's worth a try.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Old Iron, I would, literaly, have to point fingers and call people out on the floor. Thats not my place here on Oldgas. As I've said before, this is THE best forum on the web!. Our Moderators do a GREAT job here. But there are a few people, that feel the need, to stir up the stuff. People need to understand, whats right, and whats wrong. I've seen WAY too much WRONG, and I'm tired of it. Its not, "He's picking on me", its just WRONG!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Thunder.I understand.I really do,particularly "I'm tired of it".

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I feel that experienced collectors have reached out time after time without any noticeable results. Late last year, earlier this year was a thread similar to this one letting the newer collector know that if they wanted help or to ask questions all they had to do what post a question or comment..... Was like the traffic in Death Valley in August. Nothing but vultures circling over-head.

Comments were made to experienced collectors on other threads, showing and expressing disdain to them and their knowledge.

So some more took a break from the site.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like going to a Bar, if you go often & stay long enough there will always be someone that wants to start a fight.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I was waiting for you Dick.

Craig
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well I guess I'll chime in; The obvious reason some leave is because they fall on hard times or become i'll. I really think some of them leave is because thier HEART wasn't in it. I worked gas stations and garages as a teenager but didn't really start collecting until I was in my thirties. I didn't get into it for the money, hell I did'nt have any then with a wife and two kids. I got into it because i fell in love with this stuff and bought only with the money left over after paying all the bills and taking care of family first. We live in a society now where we want it all now. I know DB gets jabs about the 36-b tops and we clash most of the time but I think I know why has them, his heart is in it. The ones in it with thier wallets only, probably won't stay in it. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oilease55
I know DB gets jabs about the 36-b tops and we clash most of the time but I think I know why has them, his heart is in it.

LOL, For years I couldn't find a top for my SHELL Twin, then I started buying them as I found 'm.
These are my Kids.

K
K
Dick, They have square heads with flat tops... They must be your kids... Sorry... I couldn't resist...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved