Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27967 Wed Nov 27 2002 11:31 AM
J
JUNIOR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello, I got my 1st gas pump a few months ago and have just started to restore it. I have have a few questions, if some of you could help a new guy out.

Do you have any tips or tricks that would make my project easier?

I've taken out the pump, to make it lighter. I've also taken it all apart and sandblasted the smaller pieces at work. The doors and sides will be beadblasted later this week. I've painted everything in primer until I can get an autobody friend to paint it.

My pump was a shell, but Im making it into a JOHNSON. Is there anywhere I can find INFO on thier pumps? I've looked all over the internet and found nothing. I think the colors on my pump will be white/orange. I would go black/orange but I don't want it to look like a Harley pump (not that there is anything wrong with that). I just want it to turn out nice. Thanks for any help you can give.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#27968 Wed Nov 27 2002 02:08 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey Junior , it shoulds like your doing O K with out any help , but myself , i git the decals , pump plates , globes , for the pump then i look for the paint to match the items . look in the front of this website under pump parts , use any of them but i like gas pump heaven , good luck .

#27969 Wed Nov 27 2002 08:05 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Most of us don't refer to a pump as a Shell or Johnson pump, we refer to them by who made them, such as Bennett, Tokheim, etc. You never mentioned the manufacturer of your pump and the model number. Many pumps lend themselves to some nice color scheme. If you want to read about pumps you might check out my gas pump website, it is filled with articles that I wrote for "Check the Oil!" magazine. www.crspub.com

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 11-27-2002).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#27970 Mon Dec 02 2002 09:46 AM
J
JUNIOR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Jack,I had no Idea what brand of pump it is. I couldn't find any tags or labels on it anywhere and I couldn't find a pic of it in your book. Last week I did find a Wayne stamp with # on the bottom of the base when sandblasting. I checked in your book but didn't see anything again. It is similar to the (blue/yellow)pump on the cover of the book, but it has no area for the "wayne" glass?? Maybe its just a lower model of that? I'll get picks up as soon as I can get ahold of a dig. camera. thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

#27971 Mon Dec 02 2002 01:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Junior, Some other things you can do to make your job easire is label everything. I cant count how many times in the past I found a screw I couldnt remember where it came from. Try to piece your pump together back on its frame before you have it painted .Sometimes pieces can be warped when sandblasted and its better to find this out before you paint than after and risk scratches. Make shure your elecrtical is all wired correct as to prevent fires and shocks. And most important take plenty of before and after pics and post them here when you are done.

#27972 Thu Dec 05 2002 08:37 PM
There is a johnson globe on ebay right now. It ends on the morning of dec. 8th.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved