Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#280273 Wed Oct 19 2011 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
blacktee member Doug has asked me to start this thread w/pics for him....

Hi Doc

Thanks for helping me. Let me know any costs. I will forward those photos that are pdf. I know nothing about this stuff. : )

Are you familiar with what is called a Texaco Chimney Cap globe ? If you have the globe books you'll be able to find it there. I'll also send you a photo or two of one. It's a wide body globe made around 1918-1919 ? Remember what we're dealing with here is a "Wide" body globe. 8 or 9 inches is my guess. Also it has a screw on cap on the top. Reason being, I'm not sure. As I remember it's not large enough to change a light bulb ? What I've found is the same globe in a narrow body. The photos came from Boston around August of 1917. I've taken a magnifying glass to the original small black & white photos in this magazine, and it clearly looks like a narrow body. Also several others have said that it's not a normal Chimney globe.

Thanks Doug

4th from left:

and close-up:

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Awesome globe! I've been told the chimney top globe was designed to eliminate the build up of gasoline fumes, which could cause an explosion within the pump.
Rod van Pelt

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
rvanpelt #280291 Wed Oct 19 2011 06:14 AM
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
Exactly what I understood about them too Rod.

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have the globe just to the right of the one Doug pointed out and enlarged. It is, however, about 7 inches wide. Mine is not a chimney top but you can see on the top of mine where the chimney top mold had been altered to "plug" the hole for the chimney. Note the white outline of the "T" on both globes. When I pictured mine on here I was told it was a repaint since it was outlined in white. This shows that the white outlined "T" was used much before the late 50s and probably came before the black "T".
Rod van Pelt

Last edited by rvanpelt; Wed Oct 19 2011 08:38 AM.

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
rvanpelt #280323 Wed Oct 19 2011 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
2nd pic from top on this thread page shows same globe I think....

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229104&page=30

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Probably the same concept, but I heard the hole was to help dissipate the heat so it wouldn't ignite the fume.....but it is probably the same thing. Man, that collection makes me want to throw my Texaco collection away.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved