Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#281859 Fri Oct 28 2011 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have driven this same road for an endless amount of times and it never registered to me that there was a sign along the road until this summer when I bought my Model A in the same town! Somehow my feeble brain was able to register the fact that there was a pole sign hidden under some local advertising. Maybe it was the fact that the sign belonged to the same place that stored my car, that the connection was finally made in my head!
On the trip to retrieve the car, I inquired about the sign pole and the person in charge told me that she would ask the board of directors and get back to me on it. A couple of months had passed and I had more or less forgotten about it because anytime that you get a board of directors involved, someone will object or decide they want it for themselves and there is no sale!
Well, lo and behold, I got a call last week that outlined the procedure to obtain the sign, and if I was in agreement, I could come and get the sign! Yesterday I loaded up my tools and a torch, along with one of my nephews to help and headed out to get the sign. We borrowed a local loader tractor and the rest was easy beans! Lowered the sign onto my trailer and we were out of there.
I've got it home now and I just have to use a little paint stripper and get the old paint off the porcelain. The original sign looks to be in pretty fair shape and maybe the paint that covered it was a sort of protection over the years. Thats probably why I hadn't noticed it before, as the paint was covering the Texaco star. You would think that the shape would have grabbed my attention but it didn't!
WELL, REMEMBER--"KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN"--ITS STILL OUT THERE, and probably right in front of your nose, like it was for me!

Texaco resized.jpg up close Texaco--resized.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K W FRITH #281864 Fri Oct 28 2011 11:52 AM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Very cool! Make sure to include some pics of it cleaned up. Neat story!

Mac

Mac #281897 Fri Oct 28 2011 02:44 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Nice find Kevin!!!!! there Are about 5 of those signs local all painted over with original poles. I'm sure my neighbors would love the sign if I put it up lol The stuff is still out there you just have to look!!!!

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Fri Oct 28 2011 03:04 PM. Reason: Sp

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #281902 Fri Oct 28 2011 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SAW A COUPLE UPSTATE LAST WEEKEND AND I KNOW OF SEVERAL IN JUNKYARD ALLEY RIGHT HERE IN DEER PARK, LONG ISLAND....ON THE POLES.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i know where a gulf polesign is thats been painted over & also a cities service done the same way...i also, after living here for 15 yrs, just noticed a really nice pole with lights standing at the end of my street. i knew that the bldg was an ols station yrs ago, just never noticed the pole standing on the other end of the lot. i'll try to get a pic one day when i'm out & see if it can be identified. the pole is a hex/octo shaped pole with the upper horizontal pole having the spearpoint tips. it has the spotlight topper & two smaller porcelain lights to light the missing sign.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HERE'S ONE FROM LAST WEEKEND....

THERE USED TO BE ONE OUTSIDE AN EATERY (TEXACO) ALMOST IN FRONT OF JOHN MANCINO'S HOUSE IN BOUCKVILLE, NY.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
That one is on Rt 22 Doc at least 3 in that area!!!!

57tbirdkid #281930 Fri Oct 28 2011 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
That one is on Rt 22 Doc at least 3 in that area!!!!

I only saw 2, Keith. The 2nd one came up so quick....I couldn't get my camera quick enough....doing it on the run LOL!

Yes route 22, took it north to New Lebanon.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
There is one at a garage on the right across from the train station near the Jail, one at a service station further up, and the one you posted. Pretty cool they are still standing and being used.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved