Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I was close to you I would sell you a good one and take yours in on trade. I would then sell yours for parts. As others have said there are lots of parts missing and the doors look to be cut down tall doors. The faceplate looks to be for the lift off door version short 39. Sorry to say, but being your first pump I would probably not try to do that pump with all the missing and mismatched parts.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Face plate pictured was used on pumps w/ Lift-off doors. Tall 39's had embossed TOKHEIM alum faces & a Visi Ring around glass w/ tabs bent behind face plate.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe thats the key! He just needs a pair of lift off doors (and a lot of other stuff)

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Maybe thats the key! He just needs a pair of lift off doors (and a lot of other stuff)

Currently they ARE lift off doors, since I don't have anyway of mounting them smile

If I was out west or in the middle of the country I'm sure it would be easier to find a pump, seems to suck around New England. I'm just looking for an unrestored pump because I like the look. I want to install the pump next to the front of my garage. But...I also started off with one pinball, so I'm sure they will multiply if I can find them smile

Last edited by Smithwicks; Mon Nov 07 2011 09:48 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe someone here has a pair of Tall 39 w/o adv glass in top & w/ rust/damage on bottom that can be cutoff.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The thing everyone above has avoided telling you is that you have purchased a parts pump. If you had a copy of my Gas Pump Identification and Value Guide book, you would be able to see what LRA means, and what that pump's value is. What they are not telling you is that it will probably cost you more to buy the parts you need than it would be to go out and buy another 39 or any other pump.
Tokheim made three different short 39 and two different tall 39's, you probably have parts from all of them.
Now, I know guys will start to respond that I am trying to discourage you, I am not, I am telling you and I hope many others who are looking for their first pump, is learn something about pumps before you buy the first one.
I go to party's where they serve cake, I scrape off the icing, I want to get to the cake. That is what I have stated above.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Ok, here is what I think. The doors for your pump are the lift off style of door and do not look to be modified in any way. You can tell this because of the vent on the bottom of the door. Your pump might be a hinged door pump, looks like it to me. I am betting that if the doors are three inches too short, that you have a pump that was cut down by a bulk plant or jobber back in the day to make it more streamlined. This was common practice. To get doors that will fit onto your pump, you are going to have to find some original tall doors and cut them down. I think this pump needs many parts to make it complete again, probably better off selling it and putting the money into one that is more complete.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

S
OP Offline
S
Well thanks for the info guys, we all learn as we go in any hobby. When I first started off collecting coin op I bought a a few "Its just a fuse" pins, now I know exactly what to look for so I don't waste my time and money on a dead horse. I accept the fact I ended up buying a "parts pump", I'm not into it for too much, and if I had to sell it, I'm sure I could recoup. As I have mentioned a few times, I have had zero luck finding a pump in my area that was not $$$$$. If anyone in the RI/MA/CT/NH area has an old clunker (Parts complete), pm me. Otherwise, I may Frankenstein this thing to look decent enough to display for what I wanted, until one pops up.

Thanks again for all your input smile

S
OP Offline
S
After closer inspection, it does appear to be a cut down "Tall", the doors are for an older "short" like before mentioned. In the pics you can see the welds and bodywork on the exterior...Sigh...

You could buy four frame rails, and two side panels and convert the rest of your parts into a short pump. Probably not cost effective though.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
The thing everyone above has avoided telling you is that you have purchased a parts pump. If you had a copy of my Gas Pump Identification and Value Guide book, you would be able to see what LRA means, and what that pump's value is. What they are not telling you is that it will probably cost you more to buy the parts you need than it would be to go out and buy another 39 or any other pump.
Tokheim made three different short 39 and two different tall 39's, you probably have parts from all of them.
Now, I know guys will start to respond that I am trying to discourage you, I am not, I am telling you and I hope many others who are looking for their first pump, is learn something about pumps before you buy the first one.
I go to party's where they serve cake, I scrape off the icing, I want to get to the cake. That is what I have stated above.

Jack Sim

Thanks for the info Jack, I realize I have a "Parts Pump", and that cost to restore would out weigh gain, but I still have options with this pump and know I will not take a hit, with what I have into it. I have a basic knowledge of pumps (From a year of looking and reading up online), but I do not have a working knowledge of every pump made. Everyone makes an impulse buy now and then, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. O, and I already ordered your book off Amazon. Thanks again.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
why not shorten the frame & side panels a bit to match the doors you already have? i've done that on a few pumps that were severely rusted at the bottom. you could cut at the bottom where all you need is a good straight line & a couple cutoff wheels. i would do that way before i would start throwing more money at parts that still might be off a bit.

Last edited by sellersrodshop; Tue Nov 08 2011 11:05 AM.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I agree with sellersrodshop, don't cry over spilled milk and make lemonade out of that lemon. I'd cut the rest down, find another faceplate, find a nozzle hook assembly and put it all together. If you just want a pump, and can live with the fact that it's not 100% correct, continue with this project. Your friends and family won't know if you don't tell 'em.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yep...chop what you have to fit your doors. chris

S
OP Offline
S
If anyone wondered what happened to my "Parts Pump", here she is. She is not perfect, but turned out nice IMO. Thanks again to the members who gave me good deals on parts!

Last edited by Smithwicks; Thu Nov 08 2012 07:39 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved