Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#283709 Mon Nov 07 2011 03:59 PM
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
As a young collector, it is very hard for me to "remember" most of the items I collect. One important part of this hobby to me is the history behind items in my collection. Documentation of the stations where the items came from has a significant value to me. I have found some of my best items at the stations or through the relatives of people who owned local stations. Pictures next to the items in my collection really help complete the story. A while back I was in a local re-sale store and asked the owenr if he had any gas sation items. He said I have something, but he was not sure what it was. I looked at it and identified the item. It was a near mint globe that came from a local station. The owner of the station's son needed money and sold it to the owner of the re-sale shop. The station still stands today and has the original leaded glass that states "Berkshire Auto Co". This is one of the few items I have that I know the background on. I know the story is legitimate because I know the family who was partners in the station and have seen detailed pictures of it. If anyone else has items in their collection and has photos of them in use- please post them. I think this would make a good showcase topic.

Here are some pics of the station and Globe in 1940.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Provinance (sp?) is important in a lot of historical objects. I've been trying to get my Mom to put cards with family stuff for years.

Even without pix I am guessing if the collectors on here include an index card with where something was found and the history about it (if it came from a station somewhere for example) it would not only help them if they decide to sell the item down the road, it would help their heirs as well.

Just a thought...

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I do an average job of documenting where I aquired an item and when I got, it with pictures if possible. My wife and I spent four hours at the Library in Peoria Illinois to trace the history of "Fabers Motor Fuel". Found out they only had 6 stations, all located in Peoria, Ill. between 1920 and 1940.all the info is in a plastic folder hanging on the globe.

Norm Huff
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I am the proud owner of the "RM" & "Manhattan" signs shown here on the Dallas, TX Raybestos-Manhattan building. The Grey-Rock sign came from the same plant but is not pictured. The person I got the signs from was the Nephew of the Gentleman on the far left in the photo "Mr. Brown", who was the "head honcho" of the plant. I also have a set of Gulf station "Men" & "Women" restroom signs, that were given to me by the son of the owner of a Gulf station in Centerville, TX. I know the history of a few other items in my collection, but all to often things have changed hands too many times and their history is forgotten. Thanks for the posting!

hpqscan0001.jpg
Dallas, TX Plant

100_3397.jpg
My Home

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Stating the obvious, the Grey-Rock is shown in the photo and not the Manhattan....

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
57tbirdkid.
I love researching the history on items I find. Not enough for me to have found something. I want to know Why? When? Where and more.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I try to document my maps in an Access database: I especially like to know which came from estate sales because of their relevance to highway history. Haven't made many finds in that area lately, however.

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
The sad thing is so much stuff Is being thrown away from many estates and shops. Some people just think some of the stuff is junk when it is a part of service station history.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Fri Nov 11 2011 06:47 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved