Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The BIGGER the BETTER....The MORE the MERRIER!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
The BIGGER the BETTER....The MORE the MERRIER!

LOL it does not appear that's the case

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What just happened?It looks to me like we just lost a member who seldom posts because of his collecting preferences.I may well be mistaken,but I thought that sort of participation was exactly what this thread was trying to encourage.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Quote:
BUT now it has become more of a FLEA MKT [Beer signs, bicycles, lic. plates, soda bottles, condom/kotex machines, trucks, cars, soda/gumball machines, parking meters, Non Petro For Sale items, entertainment TV shows,
or how people load their truck at Home Depot (which I got a kick out of BTW).

I love it all, but aren't those all in a completely seperate section from the gas & oil, a section that you can simply choose not to click on if you're not a fan?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well...it's not like they HAVE to read this, or they HAVE to come to this website daily. People will find something to complain about, even when it is free.

Anyhow...I would never consider myself and expert or a vet. in this area of collecting or any other. I started with gas and oil stuff when I was 10ish with my dad, now I am 32. I learned a lot in 22 years of paying attention in conversations, at shows, on the internet, at auctions, you name it. I had very few people around me to hand me knowledge about the hobby. Growing up, at the shows I was really the only one my age. I learned usually on a first hand basis. I still and will always ask questions...NO ONE knows everything.

First and foremost I am a collector. I do buy stuff, sell stuff, trade stuff and I do it in a large manner. However...I collect stuff first and that will never change if I can help it.

At last...

I by no means know a lot of people, maybe more than some but less than most these days. I get a minimum of 5 calls, emails, or in person questions a week on the value of something, whether it is gas and oil or not. Most of them I know personally, but a lot of them are referrals from friends. It's the same story most of the time after I talk to them for 2 or 3 minutes.

"I'm a picker" is what they tell me.

Generally, I help them as much as I can. But in order to be what you say you are, you can not ask value questions on everything that you come across. There is a quote that the "pickers" use quite often..."You have to pay for your education." I have bought stuff and found out that is wasn't worth what I paid for it. I have also unknowingly sold stuff for far less than what it was worth. THIS IS WHAT PAYING FOT YOUR EDUCATION IS. You and only you can gain this knowledge. The more that you learn on your own, the better of you will be. Tips from others are helpful, but you have to put in the time/make the mistakes to succeed.

S
S
All I can say is...wow.. I can see why more people don't post in these forums. I thought that part of the enjoyment with this, any hobby was partly the satisfaction of helping others learn through the sharing of personal knowledge you acquired over your years of collecting? I have answered the same questions posted by "Newbs" in other forums, and have no problem doing so, how else is someone going to learn when starting off? I guess I could just tell them to figure out how to use the search feature, call them an idiot for asking it, and tell them to "get off my lawn", but that is just stupid. Also, on the subject of "original parts as opposed to repros", that will be the day I blow $500 for an OE sign and another $600 for OE globe and stick them on a pump displayed outside. People will purchase what they can afford, and what will make them happy in the end. I am a petro newbie, but I can tell you that when my, as I have been told "Parts Pump" is done, with its repro signage and globe and most likely screwed on doors, I will be content knowing that I enjoyed my time putting that pump "Almost" back the way it should look and that others won't be in my driveway scrutinizing every part that is not "up to code" (I have at least learned NOT to post a photo of it when I am finished).
Sorry for the slight rant, but the original question posed has definitely been answered in the reply's, and even with the positives, the negatives will stick out and anyone new who reads will most likely remain in the shadows, afraid to ask that question, that one question that could have given them the basic knowledge to start them in a new satisfying and enjoyable hobby.

Last edited by Smithwicks; Thu Nov 17 2011 08:50 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Smithwicks,

I don't consider that a rant at all.In my mind it is a very well thought out post that explains your position with no doube about what you think.You said things that needed to be said,IMO,and coming from a newer member I think all should take note.

Thank you.BTY,I put pop plates and globes on my outside pumps for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Smith,
I agree someone would be crazy to spend $500 for a sign and $600 for a globe to go outside on a pump. I think everyone here understands that and understands reproductions are needed for the pump restorers. It's undated reproductions are the issue! If a guy wants to buy 10 $125-$250 repop globes or signs for decorating that is fine also.

I think guys including myself are just tired of being used for questions over and over for some "picker" to buy something to resale and never even offer it here. I have helped many guys and have had guys help me and we are all friends to this day! If a guy wants to start collecting and needs help... i am sure every one will help them. Everyone comes to this site for "right now" answers and don't even want to spend :10 trying to find an answer or for that matter buy a book. I have tons of books i have bought and go to auctions, gas shows and talk with other collectors over my 11 years collecting to know what i know and i still don't know it all and have to ask questions from time to time.

If some guy wants a pump to go with his car or out in front of the garage and needs help please post. Don't let guys venting about how they feel stop them from getting answers to there questions. Heck just last month had a guy call me wanting a pump... told him i didn't have any i wanted to part with. He called me last week and bought one and already painted it. I went over to his house, gave him an old Vic's 66 catalog and Jim Treadways number because there was some things he was wanting. Had a blast chatting with him and him telling me the story with the pump. Is a collector... not yet but could be!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You will have all kinds in every hobby. The more valuable the commodity and the smaller the supply...certain types will "rise to the top". People that are genuine "good" people don't mind helping "newbies" or repeating an answer to a question every once in a while. I have met some genuine nice people in collecting gumball machines, jukeboxes, and petromobilia. The stuff will all be gone one day(along with us) and it won't matter anyway. I have seen guys scheming over acquiring stuff and have seen guys simply give something away because someone took an interest in it.I think some people just take things too seriously..me included. We could all just lighten up a little and have more fun.
Let me post this question to you "enthusiasts": Have you ever been told that you were going to die and then your priorities changed instantly? They will...I will promise you.Not trying to be a downer but think about it. The most you can give someone is yourself...time, knowledge, etc...
Did I rant ???LOL
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pay it foreward! I sure try!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like a plan KW! Count me in...

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Smithwicks
All I can say is...wow..

Jarvis hit, one, the nails on the head... At least, one of the ones, that irritate me. Thats my opinion. I wrote it, I own it. Dont let that scare you away.

I'm one of the folks, that gets a bit miffed when somebody BUYS something, THEN asks "whats it worth?"... Worse than that, they then offer it for sale, AFTER their free appraisal!

We were ALL newbies at one time. Questions are ok. Personally, I welcome them. We all need to learn. At least this forum, isnt like the Model T forums! I'm so horked off at all those crotchedy old illegigtimate (sp?) children, that I havent touched any of my Model Ts, for a year or so. So much for the preservation of history.

What I'm saying here, is we (as a group) are a family. And like a family, we argue every now and then. Thats ok. For the most part, we all shake hands, share a cold one, and go for a walk together to look for the good stuff at a show.

Just hang around for a bit. I bet even you, will be teasing Jarvis, about his "Good Luck" with globes. But thats a story for another post. LOL.

Love ya' John! The first one is on me!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm not much of a poster. I have asked for a value before on a item and I have asked for a color code too. If I didn't say thank you I am truly sorry. I enjoy this site very much and it has given me great insight to my collecting. I post a few pictures but that said, I prefer to read then open my mouth and show my inexperiance! LOL!

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
kind of sliding away from the ornigal topic as THUNDER 2 Stated, members asking worth after they buy. All though it don't keep me from posting I find humor in it. If you bought it for your collection its worth what you payed for it -right. If you bought it to sell without knowing worth,your in the wrong business you should be selling shoes because everyone needs a pair,and you can pretty well count on them being hot item. I just bought two booth mobile juke box selecters, did I pay to much I wonder because they didn't get jumped on fast. Do I really care nope I could afford them ,my buddy wants one as he has booth and I'm a hero because the other is wifes xmas present. Just a example.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
"jack no disrecpect. but i know one half of two is one . if you would like a picture i can send you one . could you get a better idea of a price by the picture ? and this must be a rare pump right ?" Shoupdog

This probably sums it up for many.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved