Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#283790 Mon Nov 07 2011 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Watching recent discussions on the various forums around here I have come to the conclusion that far too few members originate post with the objective of starting a discussion that can be enjoyed by veterans and newcomers alike . I think more such positive post might possible generate more involvement and participation by all members of the hobby.

I've tried to do my part with post I thought would generate good,constructive discussions. You have seen them, at times I was successful , IMO, at other times I have failed. I'm wondering why more veterans and beginners alike don't post more topics of general interest. Veterans ? Just tired of it ? Can't think of something you may have to defend ? Beginners ? Afraid to ? Why ? There are no dumb questions , only dumb answers . I think it has been demonstrated someone will step in if you are belittled because of lack of knowledge.
I make this post in hope that we as a group can promote this site which I firmly believe will promote the hobby as a whole . Thank you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
I agree! Good post!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I guess I qualify as a Veteran (a Korean Vet) but for almost 20 years I have been answering questions posted here, but it seems that the same question keeps being asked. What is this, what is this worth, what are the paint codes for the ABC oil company, all these questions have been asked 100s of times, and they are in our archives. I think Jim should have a David Letterman section for the 10 most asked questions on this website. I think good healthy diologe is good, but most of the time I just don't want to answer a question I have answered many time before.

As for a lack of knowledge, I have always believed that research is the best way to attain knowledge, but this has changed, no one wants to look anything up, most people don't want to buy a book, they just want to come on a website and post a question and expect an answer.

Don’t ever write a book, if you do, every museum, every whatever, thinks they can send me an email telling me about this item that their grandfather had since the creation of time has just been discovered and they want info. about it. I try and help as many as I can, but if they ask those magic words, what is this worth, I automatically delete it. I remember, 15 years ago when I wrote the first air meter book, I wrote to a library about info on a air meter company that was once in their town. They wrote back, that if I would send them $35.00 research fee, they would give me any info. they found on the company.
I have learned over the years to not step out of the area I know most about, I don't know globes, signs or cans, so I don't have any opinions or answers about them, but since I do have 41 file drawers filled with gas pump literature, I do not expect criotizm about something I say about gas pumps or air meters.
I could start a ton of topics here, but they would be taken as self serving, it is better to respond to good discussions that do appear here. What do you want besides "What is the value of this?"
Just a Vet expression his opinion.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
one of the BIGGEST reasons is the Veterans started years ago collecting ORIGINAL items, They met others that collected the same and would meet at the few shows that popped up. Then this site shows up and all was going great being able to talk to others about ORIGINAL items they found or have.

Fast forward to what it is like now, There seems to be more interest in REPRODUCTION Junk, Rare Globes and Signs are being Re-Popped and openly made and sold by "Members" on this site, The Site that was once about collecting ORIGINAL GAS STATION MEMORABILIA.

If a Veteran steps up and says anything he is attacked by NEWCOMERS and Others that relate all 12" reproduction Andy Rooney signs and Reproduction Globes to original Socony/Texaco/Shell signs, and see no difference in having an Original Musgo globe or a Fantasy Musgo globe.

A lot of Veterans/Members are sick of it and are just sitting back and watching all the Decorators fight over rusted out condition 4 signs that sellers think are the holy grail and priced at condition 8 signs, And having to sit thru pages of a discussion on whether 12" x 18" texaco sign dated 1995 is a reproduction or not.

AND did I mention that I for 1 Hate reproductions and Hate the FACT of what they did to this hobby, They ruined the Hobby of collecting and preserving ORIGINAL Gas Station Items, What it is now is more of a Decorators Paradise.

These are my thoughts and opinions and this Hobby is slowly Boring the hell out of me.

Last edited by KZ1000; Tue Nov 08 2011 05:05 AM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Octane, I'm speaking for myself here . Yes , Me only . I post and I USED to post regularly . However , I'm not in the business of VALUATING OTHER PEOPLES COLLECTIONS . I got into this hobby well before most of you here ever thought to do so . This forum has become an extension of e- bay . In the words of Michael Savage , radio show host - "THATS ALL " .......... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good Morning all. Home sick from work and thought i might take some time to add my thoughts to this discussion. My position certainly is put forth from the position of a newcomer, having only found this site last year and having browsed it everyday, yet not really having posted too awful much. When I have posted, I have certainly committed all of the sins that rightfully would and apparently do frustrate alot of veterans who are tired of reading the same old stuff. I have asked for values and I too have posted requesting to buy "decorations" as opposed to "originals". I have also posted and emailed members privately with respect to original items I have hoped to somehow purchase. In all cases, i have been treated with kindness and courtesy and am appreciative of it. My intent here is to hopefully put forth where the frustration lies within this hobby for newcomers and hopefully to ask for some indulgence and patience from some of the vets who grow frustrated with us. First off, there is nothing more that I would seek, as well as other newbies i am sure, than to stay clearly away from reproductions and only purchase originals. The small amount of original stuff i do have gets far more of my admiration than the reproduction stuff I have gathered. Where the problem lies is that having spent alot of my money on restoring an old truck, as well as trying to put food on my table in tough economic times, i simply do not have the funds to spend $2000+ on an original Ford/Benzol Globe. Add to that, as a newbie with no experience and being new to this hobby, I would be afraid to spend that kind of money on something I dont for sure is real. It is not that us newbies want to be decorators, it is just that some of us have limited funds and are gun shy to pull the trigger on something claimed to be original when it does come up. So, i visit here and I ask value questions, privately email members and I peruse the "for sale" section here as opposed to ebay or somewhere else, because I feel that people on here, especially veterans, would have the honesty and policing from other members to put forth a description and pricing that is exactly what it is claimed to be, even if i cant currently afford to buy that original. I appreciate that greatly. So, thanks. I can only say that at least if I purchase something that is a reproduction, i can take heart in the fact that I got what I paid for and can sleep at night knowing I didnt get ripped off, if that makes sense as to why some of us are currently "decorating" when we desperately would rather have an original.
Vets, please remain patient with me/us. I have purchased books and am trying to educate myself and have certainly looked through the past posts for some of my answers. Unfortunately, from my experience, the past postings must, after a certain period of time, eliminate photos within the posting after that longer period of time and when trying to determine what is fake/real, that hinders us greatly and we tend to have to rely on the answers from you to questions that would appear repetitive and boring. Anyway, from my perspective, there is alot to be wary of in this hobby and sadly, with the pricing of originals, along with the amount of fraud between originals and repops, alot of us newbies will never be able to fully become veterans capable of helping anyone else because the times have changed from whence you current veterans entered the hobby. I am fairly certain, because of what I have tried to convey earlier in my posting, that I will never have a garage full of originals and some of you vets might say having one original is better than 100 repops, but in this world of shady characters, who is to say that the one original is truly an original. I would rather have 100 repops than a fake $2000 globe put forth as an original. Thus i will continue to visit here and rely on your advice and your expertise and hope that your frustration wont chase us away. Thanks for your time.

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I walk away from this site regularly because of the excuses new people throw forth.

(I am a snob! I'm the first to admit it. I still think that anyone in the hobby, who has been collecting for less than 2 decades+ is a newby. I don't claim to be an expert on any portion of this hobby. I don't give out values, just to see my name in print, as some seem to do. I AM A ROYAL PAIN IN THE *****. I know this, and accept this obvious flaw in character.)

A good portion of the older more experience members of this collecting society are just as much on a "budget" as any new collector, if not more so. Some of us have hospital bills, that make our wallets and insurance companies scream for relief, I can personally attest to this fact.

The BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between the 2 is; the experienced collector will save, trade, hunt, research and be picky about the items he collects. The new collector will pick up 10 barn hangers at $50-$100 ea instead of a few good signs at $250-$500 ea. Will buy repop globes for $xxx instead of saving for originals at $xxx-$xxxx and then give the excuse that the original is too expensive. (the object is to collect the best items possible, not the most items possible)

I can say with certainty that I have been in this hobby, before 99.9999% of all the Oldgas members and 90%+ of those in the hobby today (1965). I learned about most of the important aspects of the hobby from one of the "pioneers" of the hobby, my father who started collecting items in the 40s. He started trading and selling items after coming back from Korea.

When he started and later as an 11 year old when I started, there was NO internet, NO books on the hobby, NO shows, NO network of Collectors.... I collected, bought, sold and traded for other gas and oil items. Depending on myself, to ensure I wasn't taken or cheated.... The new collector now, should use some of those same techniques, instead of relying on the OPINIONS of anonymous people behind a keyboard and computer screen.

I must admit that in the early 60s people paid us to haul away, pumps, signs, globes and smalls... When I went into the service we traded items. Even in 'Nam there were "Gas and Oil" items on the walls of some of the rec centers and individual hooches. There was also a pretty good black market of repop items that was growing....

If it was "Classic Americanism"; there has always been a market. My dad related to me that repops were found in Korea and Japan during the Korean War. I saw them myself during 'Nam and when I can back to the states in the early 70s I saw them in the large on base Post Exchanges.

Yes there are more repops than ever now. And yes, at times experienced collectors get sucked in. But at a much fewer rate than new people, because we ask.... We don't jump on an item until we are sure and ready. Do we miss items because of this, YES. Do we have regrets at times because we didn't pull the trigger, YES. Do we have regrets because we pulled the trigger TOO FAST..... not so much.

Let me tell the new collectors a little secret; A real collector will be MUCH more impressed with your collection if it is even 1 original good looking item, than a mansion of repops. And if you are honest with yourself, you will be too!!! So quit buying the repops and bang hangers. (Now occasionally, one will find a barn hanger that really,really,really,really ... calls to them! Snap that one up in a heart-beat, but make sure it really calls to you. Don't just buy it because you have the money burning a hole in your pocket....LOL) Start saving and do some research, then buy the best items you can afford. You will be happier, your spouse will be happier and bottomline your wallet will be happier.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
As one of the new younger members on this site I have learned a lot from many of the helpful collectors on here. When I first started posting I asked several value questions on items i could not find by doing research. I feel the best decision a new collector could make is to do your research before buying anything. Education in any hobby is critical especially with all of the reproduction items out there. Like I have said in previous posts the decorator repros do not hurt the hobby in my opinion. Would I even buy a reproduction sign? No, nowthat I am sort of educated in this hobby I know what I want and most of the time I know what to look for. I feel that certain items can be reproduced for the mere fact of making items "look" period correct. I know and feel the enjoyment of the hobby for me is finding original great condition items. An interesting topic came up about the Firestone lenses that may be produced. As a strong advocate against certain repros and a Firestone collector I feel this repro is not as bad as some people put it out to be. If I had the original globe would I be mad.....absolutely NOT. A big part of the hobby is enjoyment and why would I want to limit a persons enjoyment over a globe that is seldom seen. Would you want to put a real globe that is as rare as this one outside on a pump? What I am trying to say is certain items can be reproduced for the fact of enjoyment and making an item complete. I am sure many people on this site do not like the comments I make, but I say what is on my mind and am straight up. I feel that many people are not posting due to the mere fact they do not like what they are seeing. I agree there are many dumb questions that have been asked. As Rick pointed out if you have to ask if a fire chief pump plate is real that is dated 1995 your in the wrong hobby. If the older generation does not help guide the new serious collectors, there will be no hobby in the future. The value forum is a great tool if used correctly. Asking about common items which can easily be found by doing a simple search is a waste of time and the people asking these questions are lazy. I post and sometimes give my opinion without knowing who I am dealing with. We are all here to elp each other and learn, but some collectors are just fed up with the repetitive questions which I do not blame them.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Tue Nov 08 2011 10:38 AM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Point well taken.

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
The reason we/I stop posting is well represented above. When you ask the original question..." is a 1995 texaco pump plate a repop pump plate, or it just a sign?" You get crucified. To make my point, that was months ago and they still can't let it go. Everyone here knows I am not a expert, just a picker.
Like the original post reads, "There are no dumb questions , only dumb answers."
Every once in a while, I come here and read. Nothing has changed.
NOW, this can be deleted, or left up so the discussion can continue... xo

Last edited by always lookin; Tue Nov 08 2011 12:47 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As a web based community I would think questions about value, rarity, is my item a repop, how do I collect this or repair that, should absolutely be encouraged and welcomed here.

Last edited by Ohio Oil; Tue Nov 08 2011 05:57 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KZ1000, You wrote pretty much same thing i am thinking.

Lonnie Hop did an article years ago in PCM about collecting on a budget and how you could build a nice collection with little money. Maybe Lonnie could do that article on oldgas for all the new guys to read. They didn't just come up with this but put it into reality.

Last edited by Jarvis; Tue Nov 08 2011 01:06 PM.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
As a newbie I try to be careful what I post. I try to ask value questions as little as possible but while I appreciate how well run this forum is I feel the search engine for it is lacking. Thus I am sometimes forced to ask for a value because it would bother me to find out I got ripped off. I think Ohio Oil brings up a great point, a lot of the veterans are from a different era than us newbies, we are more comfortable with the internet and rely on it (maybe too heavily, thats an opinion for each person to decide). I enjoy this forum and most of the members are great and I have learned a lot here but I sometimes feel like the veterans shut out the newbies. I feel like if a veteran asks a question tons of people will chime in but if one of us newbies ask it is cricket city.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
One thing I have noticed, and am guilty of myself, is that any forum listid in the "For Sale" section, has hundreds of views, and often many responses, within a very short period of time. Forums listed under the General, or Value section however, often get very little attention. I will be making a commitment, and hope others will also, to follow the other forums just as close as I do the "for sale", and to give whatever little knowledge or assistance I can offer.
James

* The new guys getting started, and don't know much yet, can become the next generation of collectors who might buy your nice original stuff when you want to sell later on. Why treat them like they should become instant veterans or else go away?

* Unmarked repros scare all of us, especially the new collector who wants to know the difference and hasn't the experience or resources. The unmarked repros will evolve to get closer to original. We all have to network together to stay on top of the situation.

Last edited by Oldgas; Tue Nov 08 2011 02:32 PM.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

Let me tell the new collectors a little secret; A real collector will be MUCH more impressed with your collection if it is even 1 original good looking item, than a mansion of repops.

Not to pick on you in particular, but in my opinion a real collector does not care about impressing others.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think most of what has been said so far has been right on target. One of the biggest things i have seen change over the last couple of years is the lack of respect that is given sometimes to the veterens. When somebody makes a post and they dont get a quick reply or they dont hear what they want to hear they get very upset, and it appears that some just want quick answers with no research.
In regards to repos I think they do have a place in this hobby as long as they are dated and bought from a reputable dealer who did not steal the picture from oldgas. If i was restoring a gas pump to sell or set one outside my house I would have a repop globe on it, but since I dont i dont have any all mine are original. I beleive that many have quit posting pictures beacuse of what i just wrote somebody comes here copies the picture and then makes a sign out of it.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Ryan,Jim & Ohio Oil.....Right on,I'm pretty new to the hobby & not as knowledgable as most of you on this site.Thank goodness for the veterans of this hobby who have helped me out.Thanks!!!! My collection is a hodge podge of misc gas oil/service station stuff.Not trying to impress anybody.Just having a great time!!!!! Lorne

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan, I don't KNOW or haven't met ONE Collector in almost 50 years in this hobby who doesn't like/want to show his/hers collection to other people especially other collectors.

If you can match that, go ahead and comment on what kind of collector I or anyone else is.

I made general comments that I believe are true. My comments are BASED on 46 years in THIS hobby, which I believe is approx 16 years longer than you have been on this earth.

You "tout" your website and are justly proud of it. What does one see when they go to the opening page? Photos of items in your collection, that you are "showing off".... What a hypocrite!!!!!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Maybe this is why beginners don't post much.How about knocking off the cat fight and see if some of the beginners that have spoken with me will post what I encouraged them to post.A little more of this and I don't think we will hear much more from those the post seemed to directed toward;positive discussions.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Subscribed.

I dont mind showing my stuff to anybody, but believe me... there is nobody I am trying to impress with my collection except myself. Period, end of story.

There is a big difference between sharing your collection and trying to impress people. Your earlier post clearly stated the latter and now your mad because you got called out on it.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Some of these posts are why people back off of posting here. Most people want their hobby activity to be enjoyable after spending time at a job, personal hassles or in traffic that is not enjoyable. To come here and read the same old cat fight and complaints is no fun.

Why can't we help the new guy, even if he asks the same question as some new guy has in the past?

Why can't we accept that not every person interested in this stuff thinks the same way we think he should?

If we want veterans to answer questions, they should be respected even if others disagree.

If we want new collectors to be around when us old collectors get ready to sell, we need to not run them off with snide comments and cat fights.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank You Jim! It's called "Live and Let Live"

Last edited by moore798; Tue Nov 08 2011 05:29 PM.

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Derailed. Does that answer your question Nelson?

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Wisdom consists of two parts 1) Having something to say, and 2) Knowing when to say it.

I don't post unless I have something to offer(well, most of the time blush ) I enjoy soaking up the knowledge of others who know WAAY more than me---that's the value I find in Oldgas.com.

I will say this.....'save the drama for your momma' and you'll be a lot happier visiting here. wink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you Jim, for the enjoyment of being able to post differing views.

I have tried to be an Ambassador to this hobby, before it was generally accepted as a hobby. I enjoy sharing what knowledge I have and I hope to live long enough to mentor my 6 year old nephews about some of the nuances pertaining to the hobby. I hope to help any one in the hobby whether new or experienced, for the foreseeable future . I also hope to get help and knowledge from the members of this site and in those in the hobby.

As to "cat fights", they happen in the real world... and I am thankful for the opportunity to voice my opinions... Of course that is exactly what they are.... my opinions. They are neither right nor wrong.... just opinions!

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Listening to the veterans is the EXACT reason why there are not as many posts lately. So what if they (beginners) don’t look through hundreds of pages to find the answer before they asked it. Some of us actually like to talk with other collectors even if the question seems a bit green or already asked and answered. We all started with "stupid" questions, it's just part of the process.
I just hope people remember that their OPINION is just that and not the gospel.

Some people would rather go after quantity over quality to fill their garage.
Some would rather have that one killer sign
Some people don't care if their collection impresses anybody
Some only want to impress others
Some don't mind mixing in a few repops in their collection
Some think repops should be burned in the middle of Wrigley Field
Some don't mind putting a clock face on a Wayne 60
Some don’t even think they should be cleaned
Some people don't have the time to pick for a year for the special sign, but do have the $$$ to pay more than anybody else at auction.
Some people don't have the big bank roll, but can be proud of the collection they accumulated on a budget.

There’s all kinds out there, and that’s good. If you can’t add anything positive to a post, and I hope I'm doing that right now, consider going on to the next post

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really don't think this is about some guy asking a question. It's more about question after question after question and with a few clicks they can find there answers.
Many are "pickers" coming to find out prices to see if they can buy it and make a buck. Again nothing wrong with that but i personally had talked with many collectors at shows and hear the same thing that they are tired of the "what's this worth thread". It got so bad oldgas jim had to make a separate forum for it!

Guys buying a gas globe for there collection and has a question about what it is or worth i will gladly help! You just PM me and i will give you my number. Guys just wanting a price because it's coming up in an auction and you want to flip it... go to the auction and bid and learn a lesson!

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I don't know I think members pulling one statement out of a well thought out and expressed post and dwelling on that one statement to the point that it gets everybody blowed up and puffey! The fact that it allways boils down to repos vs orginal. Newbie vs veteran. etc etc. In summary Jim Oldgas hit it on the head with his last post.
I come here to learn from other members and to enjoy the time spent here, as of late I just sail passed discussions such as this because I know the outcome no matter how sincere the topic starter was.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This topic comes up, time and time again. It shows up with numerous different titles, names, headings, whatever.

I for one, am ALWAYS willing to help a newby. If questions aren't asked, answers aren't given, and nothing is learned.

I have limited my posts, and time spent here, because I'm tired of all the frivolous posts, that have NOTHING to contribute to the subject!

In the For Sale forums for example... People, if you wish you were closer, get in your damn truck and start driving! THAT will get you closer! But wait! Theres more! If its "FOR SALE" post the price! If somebody asks a question, ANSWER IT!

Value forum... Its PROBABLY worth, what you paid for it! (that means, dont buy it, THEN ask)

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.... DONT use this forum, to express your need to be unique! A picture or two? Fine. A whole thread? Take it someplace else!!!

Good Heavens... I wonder how many people will complain, that I'm PICKING on them? I hope the Administrator, will allow me to answer THAT question!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Thunder II,

What do you mean by that statement below:

"And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.... DONT use this forum, to express your need to be unique! A picture or two? Fine. A whole thread? Take it someplace else!!!"

Can you be more specific? An example?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hen. If I answered that, I would be accused of "picking" on somebody. I once asked a question of a fellow member, and was put on probation for it. Hence the reason that I dont participate much any more.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm MORE than happy, to say this stuff face to face. I've done so in the past, and I'll do it again if needed. I DONT have puppets! I DESPISE puppets!

Like I stated previously. I would LOVE the opportunity to answer the question.

Last edited by Thunder II; Tue Nov 08 2011 09:39 PM.

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As Rodney King said "Can't WE ALL just get along".
NO.
NOBODY likes to be Criticized & yet WE ALL DO IT, in one form or another.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anyone have the paint code for Texaco red?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shermin Williams 45351

Last edited by K W FRITH; Wed Nov 09 2011 07:00 AM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
A
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A
Originally Posted By: gasmelincelr
Anyone have the paint code for Texaco red?

If I was closer, I'd lend you my PCM book.

Ed
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those last three posts crack me up......LOL.

gasmelincelr: The timing of that was terrific..I about spit my coffee on the screen.....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #284053 Wed Nov 09 2011 09:01 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't have alot to say to what has already been said. I post some but mainly on the daily topic, prayer list, if I'm looking for something or maybe buying something every now and then. I have made friends on here and there have been quite a few help me with numerous questions about items either I'm thinking about buying or items I have had for a long time and wondering what it was worth. Even finding a part for my truck(thanks Chris!). I'm not a reseller. I buy things to keep for a long time. I trust people here with value opinions than trying to gauge at a show or auction. I've only been to a couple gas shows and there may have been 3 vendors in my opinion that had prices I felt good about buying from them a little under book value. I went to an auction Saturday before last and gas/oil stuff went for almost double book value. As far as veterans and newbies, I guess maybe I'm still a newbie since I've collected petro for about 10 years but I've collected old stuff for 26 years. I've tried to be very respectful to veterans because they know alot more than I'll ever know and I enjoy getting all the knowledge I need from them. The ones I've talked to the most have treated me with alot of kindness and I appreciate that. There are also alot of collectors as well I've spoken to that are about the same as me and they have a modest collection but can't afford $500-$1000 items very often. I know mine seems to be more of why I like this website but in my experience on here I've been respectful to other people and I get it in return.

Brian

Originally Posted By: KYGULF
... I know mine seems to be more of why I like this website but in my experience on here I've been respectful to other people and I get it in return.
Brian

Brian has gotten to the bottom of the issue.

You often get back what you dish out.

Dish out criticism and intolerance of people who think differently, you get the same back at you. You've also scared off others who are reading the post who may never post again.

Be respectful of those who think differently and you get back respect. Except for those who don't know how to play in the sandbox without throwing sand.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been collecting for nine years but I don't know a thing about a globe, and for the most part I don't know the value of a whole lot or rare signs. I do however know a good bit about clockface and computer pumps. If someone like me who is into pumps (newbee or not) runs into something for sell and asks for the value or the authenticity of an item that was just discussed a few months ago, I don't get mad or post a comment about it, I just click on the next thread. I do a heck of a lot of lurking and post from time to time, but I usually don't reply unless I am fairly confident of my opinion on a topic. I have "screwed up" on a reply and have been "called out" on it by a vetern, but that doesn't bug me, I feel like it is all in good fun. Heck it makes me feel that I "belong". I have never beed treated with any hostile replys, but I can admit that I have typed many replys only to delete it at the last minute to avoid fueling a fire that probably already needs put out. I also stand by my opinion on asking a value on something - I would rather have someone that wants to sell a piece that I want find a fair value on it before they offer it up for sale for an outrageous dollar amount. I don't care if they want to research it or not. If you don't want to respond, move on to the next post! And I also agree with what has been said - anything is worth what you are willing to pay for it if it makes you happy to have it. I have overpaid for a few things that I really wanted and I really don't give a rat's behind what anybody else thinks. I love this site and enjoy reading it everyday, but I don't let all of this keep me from going back everyday to see what's new. I have met way too many people on this site - either in person or with E-mail, and that alone outweighs all of the "bickering and complaining" that I have read on this site. I will continue to post when I have something to add that is revelent. Brady

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I guess I will throw my 2 cents in I suppose I can be considered a veteran the reason I don't post more is mainly due to 2 things time and knowledge. With my occupation, until I get my crop in or out of the field I don't have time to play with my hobby so I have a limited amount of time I can devote to it which is a few months in the winter. Next is knowledge " I know what I know" I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in Oklahoma cans and small companies. And that's mainly what I limit my comments to. And if it is a question of value on something I do know about I'm not sure how much my opinion would be worth. Because a 5 dollar composite can to 99 percent of the collectors I might pay 30 bucks for because it's a small little company that I don't have. Does that make the value of that can 5 dollars or 30 dollars I don't know. I don't know squat about globes, pumps, air meters, most signs etc. There are many guys here that are experts in these areas so there's no need in me adding my comments however I do enjoy reading and looking at pictures in other people's questions and I have no problems at all with people asking whatever question they want, if it's a thread that does not interest me I simply skip it. So I guess that is my excuse for what its worth and it sounds a lot like several other posts.

Jay

Jay Leeper
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
So long everyone!

ALL THE BEST!

Last edited by henlovestoys; Wed Nov 09 2011 06:54 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry, I must be in the wrong place, I thought this was OLDGAS.com I assumed it was a site for OLD Gasoline Station items.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KZ, IT WAS an OLDGAS site.
BUT now it has become more of a FLEA MKT [Beer signs, bicycles, lic. plates, soda bottles, condom/kotex machines, trucks, cars, soda/gumball machines, parking meters, Non Petro For Sale items, entertainment TV shows, etc. etc. etc.].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The BIGGER the BETTER....The MORE the MERRIER!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
The BIGGER the BETTER....The MORE the MERRIER!

LOL it does not appear that's the case

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What just happened?It looks to me like we just lost a member who seldom posts because of his collecting preferences.I may well be mistaken,but I thought that sort of participation was exactly what this thread was trying to encourage.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Quote:
BUT now it has become more of a FLEA MKT [Beer signs, bicycles, lic. plates, soda bottles, condom/kotex machines, trucks, cars, soda/gumball machines, parking meters, Non Petro For Sale items, entertainment TV shows,
or how people load their truck at Home Depot (which I got a kick out of BTW).

I love it all, but aren't those all in a completely seperate section from the gas & oil, a section that you can simply choose not to click on if you're not a fan?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well...it's not like they HAVE to read this, or they HAVE to come to this website daily. People will find something to complain about, even when it is free.

Anyhow...I would never consider myself and expert or a vet. in this area of collecting or any other. I started with gas and oil stuff when I was 10ish with my dad, now I am 32. I learned a lot in 22 years of paying attention in conversations, at shows, on the internet, at auctions, you name it. I had very few people around me to hand me knowledge about the hobby. Growing up, at the shows I was really the only one my age. I learned usually on a first hand basis. I still and will always ask questions...NO ONE knows everything.

First and foremost I am a collector. I do buy stuff, sell stuff, trade stuff and I do it in a large manner. However...I collect stuff first and that will never change if I can help it.

At last...

I by no means know a lot of people, maybe more than some but less than most these days. I get a minimum of 5 calls, emails, or in person questions a week on the value of something, whether it is gas and oil or not. Most of them I know personally, but a lot of them are referrals from friends. It's the same story most of the time after I talk to them for 2 or 3 minutes.

"I'm a picker" is what they tell me.

Generally, I help them as much as I can. But in order to be what you say you are, you can not ask value questions on everything that you come across. There is a quote that the "pickers" use quite often..."You have to pay for your education." I have bought stuff and found out that is wasn't worth what I paid for it. I have also unknowingly sold stuff for far less than what it was worth. THIS IS WHAT PAYING FOT YOUR EDUCATION IS. You and only you can gain this knowledge. The more that you learn on your own, the better of you will be. Tips from others are helpful, but you have to put in the time/make the mistakes to succeed.

S
S
All I can say is...wow.. I can see why more people don't post in these forums. I thought that part of the enjoyment with this, any hobby was partly the satisfaction of helping others learn through the sharing of personal knowledge you acquired over your years of collecting? I have answered the same questions posted by "Newbs" in other forums, and have no problem doing so, how else is someone going to learn when starting off? I guess I could just tell them to figure out how to use the search feature, call them an idiot for asking it, and tell them to "get off my lawn", but that is just stupid. Also, on the subject of "original parts as opposed to repros", that will be the day I blow $500 for an OE sign and another $600 for OE globe and stick them on a pump displayed outside. People will purchase what they can afford, and what will make them happy in the end. I am a petro newbie, but I can tell you that when my, as I have been told "Parts Pump" is done, with its repro signage and globe and most likely screwed on doors, I will be content knowing that I enjoyed my time putting that pump "Almost" back the way it should look and that others won't be in my driveway scrutinizing every part that is not "up to code" (I have at least learned NOT to post a photo of it when I am finished).
Sorry for the slight rant, but the original question posed has definitely been answered in the reply's, and even with the positives, the negatives will stick out and anyone new who reads will most likely remain in the shadows, afraid to ask that question, that one question that could have given them the basic knowledge to start them in a new satisfying and enjoyable hobby.

Last edited by Smithwicks; Thu Nov 17 2011 08:50 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Smithwicks,

I don't consider that a rant at all.In my mind it is a very well thought out post that explains your position with no doube about what you think.You said things that needed to be said,IMO,and coming from a newer member I think all should take note.

Thank you.BTY,I put pop plates and globes on my outside pumps for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Smith,
I agree someone would be crazy to spend $500 for a sign and $600 for a globe to go outside on a pump. I think everyone here understands that and understands reproductions are needed for the pump restorers. It's undated reproductions are the issue! If a guy wants to buy 10 $125-$250 repop globes or signs for decorating that is fine also.

I think guys including myself are just tired of being used for questions over and over for some "picker" to buy something to resale and never even offer it here. I have helped many guys and have had guys help me and we are all friends to this day! If a guy wants to start collecting and needs help... i am sure every one will help them. Everyone comes to this site for "right now" answers and don't even want to spend :10 trying to find an answer or for that matter buy a book. I have tons of books i have bought and go to auctions, gas shows and talk with other collectors over my 11 years collecting to know what i know and i still don't know it all and have to ask questions from time to time.

If some guy wants a pump to go with his car or out in front of the garage and needs help please post. Don't let guys venting about how they feel stop them from getting answers to there questions. Heck just last month had a guy call me wanting a pump... told him i didn't have any i wanted to part with. He called me last week and bought one and already painted it. I went over to his house, gave him an old Vic's 66 catalog and Jim Treadways number because there was some things he was wanting. Had a blast chatting with him and him telling me the story with the pump. Is a collector... not yet but could be!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You will have all kinds in every hobby. The more valuable the commodity and the smaller the supply...certain types will "rise to the top". People that are genuine "good" people don't mind helping "newbies" or repeating an answer to a question every once in a while. I have met some genuine nice people in collecting gumball machines, jukeboxes, and petromobilia. The stuff will all be gone one day(along with us) and it won't matter anyway. I have seen guys scheming over acquiring stuff and have seen guys simply give something away because someone took an interest in it.I think some people just take things too seriously..me included. We could all just lighten up a little and have more fun.
Let me post this question to you "enthusiasts": Have you ever been told that you were going to die and then your priorities changed instantly? They will...I will promise you.Not trying to be a downer but think about it. The most you can give someone is yourself...time, knowledge, etc...
Did I rant ???LOL
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pay it foreward! I sure try!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like a plan KW! Count me in...

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Smithwicks
All I can say is...wow..

Jarvis hit, one, the nails on the head... At least, one of the ones, that irritate me. Thats my opinion. I wrote it, I own it. Dont let that scare you away.

I'm one of the folks, that gets a bit miffed when somebody BUYS something, THEN asks "whats it worth?"... Worse than that, they then offer it for sale, AFTER their free appraisal!

We were ALL newbies at one time. Questions are ok. Personally, I welcome them. We all need to learn. At least this forum, isnt like the Model T forums! I'm so horked off at all those crotchedy old illegigtimate (sp?) children, that I havent touched any of my Model Ts, for a year or so. So much for the preservation of history.

What I'm saying here, is we (as a group) are a family. And like a family, we argue every now and then. Thats ok. For the most part, we all shake hands, share a cold one, and go for a walk together to look for the good stuff at a show.

Just hang around for a bit. I bet even you, will be teasing Jarvis, about his "Good Luck" with globes. But thats a story for another post. LOL.

Love ya' John! The first one is on me!

Anything Chevron
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm not much of a poster. I have asked for a value before on a item and I have asked for a color code too. If I didn't say thank you I am truly sorry. I enjoy this site very much and it has given me great insight to my collecting. I post a few pictures but that said, I prefer to read then open my mouth and show my inexperiance! LOL!

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
kind of sliding away from the ornigal topic as THUNDER 2 Stated, members asking worth after they buy. All though it don't keep me from posting I find humor in it. If you bought it for your collection its worth what you payed for it -right. If you bought it to sell without knowing worth,your in the wrong business you should be selling shoes because everyone needs a pair,and you can pretty well count on them being hot item. I just bought two booth mobile juke box selecters, did I pay to much I wonder because they didn't get jumped on fast. Do I really care nope I could afford them ,my buddy wants one as he has booth and I'm a hero because the other is wifes xmas present. Just a example.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
"jack no disrecpect. but i know one half of two is one . if you would like a picture i can send you one . could you get a better idea of a price by the picture ? and this must be a rare pump right ?" Shoupdog

This probably sums it up for many.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
The drastic amount of value questions that have been coming up recently is a concern for many member as seen in above posts. Flippers, Pickers, and dealers are using our knowledge for FREE. Our knowledge as collectors is the most valuable asset in my opinion. We should be very carefully because at the end of the day we are all on the computer and we have to ask ourselves "who are we dealing with or giving information to?"

S
S
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
The drastic amount of value questions that have been coming up recently is a concern for many member as seen in above posts. Flippers, Pickers, and dealers are using our knowledge for FREE. Our knowledge as collectors is the most valuable asset in my opinion. We should be very carefully because at the end of the day we are all on the computer and we have to ask ourselves "who are we dealing with or giving information to?"

Whats the value of this topic? jk Very good point, I check in daily and most of the posts are value questions. I wonder if flippers quote this site when they sell their items? With pinball and arcade it is easier, there are websites that track ebay sales and compile that info so you can grasp what certain games/pins are selling for, and you always have Mr Pinball's price guide just like Mr. Sims books for pricing pumps/meters...

Last edited by Smithwicks; Sat Nov 19 2011 07:31 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

To me, this is no problem at all! We are all hungry for knowledge. HOWEVER, like I stated earlier... Dont buy, THEN ask what its worth!

My pet peeves are from people, who make frivolous posts! YES! Frivolus posts! Please re-read my original post.

In the For Sale forums for example... People, if you wish you were closer, get in your damn truck and start driving! THAT will get you closer! BTW! If you feel the need to make a comment, about how nice that piece is, MAKE AN OFFER!!!

But wait! Theres more! If its "FOR SALE" post the price! If somebody asks a question, ANSWER IT!

Value forum... Its PROBABLY worth, what you paid for it! (that means, dont buy it, THEN ask)

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.... DONT use this forum, to express your need to be UNIQUE! A picture or two? Fine. A whole thread? TAKE IT SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I really don't see the problem like so many have posted. So what. So flippers, pickers, dealers, and whoever else joins up, becomes members and asks a zillion value questions?

Guess what, they jsut might sell their stuff on ebay. Members here bid through ebay and the site gets paid.

They just might need to buy some parts once they get some understanding. Vendors that advertise on this site get a sale.

Maybe they accumulate enough stuff and need an auction. Auctioneers that advertise on this site get a gig.

Maybe they attend a show they see advertised here and conduct business with members here.

What's your alternative, make it a pay site to properly compensate members for their knowlege? Or perhaps keep the site small for esteemed veterans only.

I think many of the answers and attitudes on this thread alone demonstrates why many don't post on here as much anymore.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
If old gas and it's members can gain from all these value questions that's great. I just feel people should do more leg work instead of depending on others. Some people have complained about the search function. The search works great for me. Maybe a top post on the value forum indicating that a person should "search before asking " would be the right thing to do. There are many questions that have been asked numerous times. A person could have easily found their answer by doing a search. Do not get me wrong, there are many dealers and Pickers on this site that I have dealt with and had a great experience.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Well said, Ohio Oil.

I decided to come back & continue posting because of recent positive threads. The most recent one about the “Mobil” sign by Drew. I admire all VETERAN members showing
patience with the thread & help Drew with his question. This in turn will encourage more new members to join.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good response Ohio.....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys

I decided to come back & continue posting because of recent positive threads.

Welcome back Henrik.

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys, The discussion went far beyond what I expected and I hope it "cleared the air" and helped this site and the hobby.

While responses to my post were great, I had hope that it might encourage veterans and newcomers alike to originate their own post designed to generate a positive, informative and thoughtful discussion .

The possibilities abound, veterans ? when is enough enough ? I have nothing left to prove. Beginners ? why does gas & oil seem to be holding up better than any of the cola stuff ?

To respond to an original thought is one thing ! to have have the original thought and communicate it is another. Think about it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved