Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#283826 Tue Nov 08 2011 04:18 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I found this Signal Products sign and the seller is not sure if it is real or a repo and is leaning towards the it being fake. It is porcelain, but the edges of the letters are very smooth -
The back looks like it has been sanded in the 4 spots where there is green showing through

There is no date or any other markings

It measures 4 feet long by 15 inches high

Any idea's as to if it is real or fake
Before I make the drive to look at it I would like your opinions

Thanks, Jerry

Resampled_2011-11-07_21-07-52_689.jpg Resampled_2011-11-07_21-08-05_868.jpg Resampled_2011-11-07_21-08-28_231.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO you need to go look at it-
never seen another one..

RANDY
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Hard to tell from photos, but the only reason I can think of for the four spots on the back to be sanded down would be if there were once threaded studs for mounting. The smoothness of the letters is not uncommon, as I have several signs that I know to be authentic that do not have "heavy shelving". There is not enough here for me to form an oppinion, but I do not see any red flags. I would say it is definately worth a closer look.
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but holding it in your hands and seeing it in person is worth more than a thousand pictures! Hope someone else can be of more help.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jerry, I live near you and there has been quite a few Signal pieces reproduced by an artist from the Grays Harbor area. Most are high grade auto enamel that is layered or shelved and looks very much like porcelain.(There was one for sale at the Bremerton swap meet last week.) I have a couple photos of his work I'll try to post. They are undated and unmarked. Be careful. PM me if you have any more questions. Tim

Last edited by tjhvintage; Tue Nov 08 2011 05:35 PM.

Member #163
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
UPDATE - I went and looked at the sign today and it is not porcelain but a painted sign and an unmarked copy - I should say a very nicely painted sign

I wish to thank everyone that weighed in and helped

Thanks, Jerry

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved