Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#284357 Thu Nov 10 2011 06:49 PM
OP Offline
Hello All!

Just got back from a 5,500 mile round trip drive from Wisconsin to Tucson, San Diego then back, with two round trips to the Hartung Collection auction in Chicago last week thrown in for good measure, mostly to take the Wayne 615 I just finished restoring for my Dad to their home in Arizona. During the project I talked to several of you on here for advise and help with souring parts (mainly the cylinder) and I thought you might all like to see the final results of my first restoration project, both the before and after. It was fun, and although I started it last minute (5 weeks before I had to leave and take it to Tuscon) the nights and weekends paid off as it came out looking great (I think) with the 15 coats of paint on some pieces, nickle plating, Indian Refining Co gas can, matching Wayne padlocks, and original documents & 615 installation manual I got from Jack Sim (Thanks Jack!) and had framed, it was as complete a package as I could make it and when my Father get down to Tucson at Christmas time and see it, I'm sure he'll love it.

Just wanted to post the link to all the pictures as I know it's fun to see other peoples before and after and how others what pumps restored - the more modern Indian brand was my Dad's choice. I'll link a few of the pictures to this post, but you can view the whole set by clicking here:

Wayne 615 Restoration

Thanks and see you around,

~ Aaron

Before:

Afters (I hope one could tell the before and after without me stating the obvious! :-)

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...143565916_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...630759016_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...393828970_n.jpg[/img]

Car&PumpSMall.jpg.jpg

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Nice job for sure and i see a couple ideas i might do to my pump by looking at these pictures -- also one lucky DAD Laroy

S
S
Sure looks good, I can only hope my 615 project comes out as Nice...

Looking for Unique Round Gallon & Quart Antifreeze Cans
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
SWWWEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Jason Howard
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice Job......

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job, Aaron!

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I think that looks crazy good. It's amazing what an impact the red at the bottom makes. So what's next?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Very detailed. Excellent job.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Real nice Aaron. Real nice.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Thats a soup to nuts restoration. Looks great, Im sure your Dad will love it.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: bppierce
I think that looks crazy good. It's amazing what an impact the red at the bottom makes. So what's next?

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Yea, BPPierce, the red triangles where just a last second addition the morning before I was going to start the clear coat, but nicely tie in the Indian theme and color with the green base and top. Easy to do as well - Made the stencil using the shape insertion tool in Microsoft Word to make the triangles and size them right so they would start at stop on the edge of the skins (so I would not have to try and join them along the seams of the two halves), copied them across the whole word document and them printed them out on whole page sticky UPS shipping labels I have, cut them out, stuck them on, painted and then started the clear coat.

The trickiest part in the entire project was bending the flat reproduction porcelain Indian signs to fit the body skins - buying original curved ones for $800+ was out of budget, so a pair of flat repos, and baking them in the oven at 400 degrees for a 10-15 mins, bending slightly, and repeat a dozen or so times each worked out really well with no cracks or chips. Just a tip that worked for me for anyone that might want to attempt the same.

Whats next is my Wayne 276 pre-visible project - likely a slow, take-all-winter project. I also just got a "side kick" to the 276 - a Wayne 320/420 (cant tell which it is, or what the difference even is between the 320 & 420) and if it has a cut ID plate on it's inside, I've not seen it yet. The original lock is still in it, and locked obviously. It looks like a mini-me of the 10ft 276, cute little thing, about 4 1/2 feet tall. I'm planing on restoring them as a matched pair.

The American 550 behind the Wayne pumps in the attached pic would look so amazing restored, but it is not a restoration candidate for sure. It's all original white crown signage, plates, paint - even still has Illinois Weights and Measures Dept. decals on the glass with the readable one from the City of Chicago - 1945, certifying the pump. Cant touch this one - would destroy to much history. Very cool pump. I can post more pictures if is curious to see it up close.

IMG_2950sm.jpg IMG_4799sm.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Aaron, I'd really like to see some pics of that American.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just sold the pc of glass your missing on the AMERICAN, in April of this year. GOOD LUCK on finding one.

OP Offline
Hey Jim - I'll create a new topic and post the pictures of the American in the next day or two.

Dick - Yea, I was searching the archives this morning and I saw a few topics going back to 2004 and before where you posted pictures of the glass, but figured by now it would be unlikely you would still have it as it seems everyone who has one of these pumps is missing one, or both of them. I don't think it will be a huge problem to replicate it - I've already got a mold made and done a small test. It might take me a few tries to get it even & smooth with no defects, but I think I'll be able to get it to turn out and be a good copy - eventually... I'll let you know how it turns out.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Stunning restoration work, Aaron!

I agree with bppierce on those RED TRIANGLES at the bottom! They complement well with the globe art work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved