Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28495 Sat Apr 23 2005 07:14 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Greetings, all. This is my first time here. I found the site doing a search for Vahey-Marsh-Wood in Youngstown, Ohio. My grandfather was the Marsh. I have nothing of the company and was wondering if anyone here could provide me with some information or even a source for some token of the company. I know very little of the company except that it ran probably started in the 19-teens and ran profitably for some years. I think it close some time after the crash in '29. I would greatly appreciate any help.

John Marsh
Columbus, Ohio

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#28496 Sat Apr 23 2005 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Shop Talk. Not much info available on that company. I did find a picture of this rare globe.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#28497 Sat Apr 23 2005 08:15 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
John,
There used to be a parking garage in downtown Yougstown with the name "Vahey"
at the top of the building. There are a few gas pump globes with the "Vahey" name I've seen in photos over the years, but never had a chance to buy one. Not sure what all they
did. You might find some information from either the local paper (The Vindicator) or from the local college (Y.S.U.). My Mother's parents lived in Youngstown and I visited with them often in the 1960's and 1970's. Too bad I didn't get into collecting gas & oil stuff sooner....Good Luck....

P.S. There is an accounting firm in Hubbard, Ohio that is named J.P. Marsh. Is it a relation to you? This guy's into neat old stuff too....Diners, Gas Stations, etc....

[This message has been edited by Sinclair Joe (edited 04-23-2005).]

Sinclair Joe
#28498 Sun Apr 24 2005 03:10 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Joe,

It sounds like you and I are about the same age. My mother's parents also lived in Y-town and we visited there in the 60's and 70's. They lived on W. Princeton Ave. As for J.P. Marsh, if I'm related to him, I sure don't know it. LOL.

I have a sister in Boardman. Maybe I can get her to do some legwork on the co. Thanks for your reply!

And thanks to LastGas15 for that great photo of the globe. Already I know more about the company than I did. My grandfather must have bought into the company at some point because in 1893, when Vahey Products was founded (by the date on the globe), my g-dad was a 6-year-old in Cynthiana, Kentucky.

John Marsh

[This message has been edited by dynaflo2 (edited 04-24-2005).]

#28499 Tue Jun 21 2005 09:15 AM
A
A
I want that Vahey sign from the gas station. How do I get it? I am a Vahey.

Thank you.

#28500 Sat Jul 23 2005 02:26 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I saw this post I knew I had something on it, but with 24 file drewers filler with petroleum literature, I just had to wait till I stumbled over it.
W. H. Vahey started the company in 1894. J. L. Marsh (who worked for the Texas Co.) and E. C. Woods became partners in 1919. The company was still in business in 1946 according to my material.
Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 07-23-2005).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved