Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#285951 Sun Nov 20 2011 09:41 AM
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am trying to verify some info on a sign I bought to resale. The sign is a early 50s Mobil Oil Aircraft Aero "W" w/ Gargoyle. I was told the sign was only givin to employees of Mobil who worked on the Aero "W" project and that this sign cannot be reproduced because of lisenceing. The sign is in mint condition and it's round and measures 12" across. I would like to know a good value since I am looking to sell it. Any info would be greatly appreciated and I am just trying to verify what I was told.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas... if its the one I'm thinking of it is a repo... anything can be reproduced- a picture of what you have would help..

RANDY
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
How would you know its a repo not being able to see it. Just wondering. And I'm not able to load a pic at this time but I will later thanks

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm sorry, thanks for the welcome.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thats it. Just trying to verify what I was told. I don't to want to sell something wrong. And from what I was told this sign couldn't be reproduced by law. I have searched the internet for a repo and couldn't find one.

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Hmmmmmmmm I'd say it's a fake. Something doesnt look correct from here! I wouldn't sell it as real and have to refund someone's money and have a mark against you on eBay.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
how would I know- you told me enough in your description.
now that I see a picture it is confirmed..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: dmarcom
Thats it. Just trying to verify what I was told. I don't to want to sell something wrong. And from what I was told this sign couldn't be reproduced by law. I have searched the internet for a repo and couldn't find one.

There is no one to enforce the law on this stuff.
Any thing can be reproduced in this hobby.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm not trying to be a smatybutt but where would where would it have come from for one. And they did auction one off on proxibid last weekend under the Pete Holt auction that they say it is authentic for $275 that looks exactly like the one I have. It looks so new because it was givin to a man that worked on that project and was put up by him and never used. If I could find a repo out there I would know for sure. And I do appreciate your thoughts. But all and all it just don't add up.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Does Mobil or any other company not have to give permission to reproduce there signs?

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Nope. And auctions sell repps all the time. Auction houses have no clue what they are looking at just like you. They don't care about anything nor have time to think bout it. I went to an auction recently and watched a bunch of repop stuff and touched up clear coated stuff sell. They never mentioned it.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I know you have better things to do that sit here and mess with this but if you have time google the name Walter P. Neeley and see the things he invented for Mobil. The sign came from his family and I have verified that. Why would this man have a repo when he would have access to anything from Mobil back in the day. If it wasn't for these things I would take everything you say to the bank because I know you know alot more about these things than me. Even if it is a repo it is interesting to find out the truth. Thanks for the help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF MOBIL or ANY company THINKS that your going to make mega bucks off using their name/logo, then they will Defend their interest to the point you will be made an example of.

Quite a few members here have been around the block more than just once.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In a perfect world trademarks would be honored. A number of ethical people do contact a Company to see if a License is needed. Often one is not needed, unless there is going to be a "large production run" of items.

IMO, most people who are selling "rip-offs" don't want to bring too much attention to themselves. If they got permission to make a repop then they would be required to put "license of XYZ Company" on the item. Right away telling the world the item is reproduced.

I went back to my Mobil Collector's Guide and can't find any mention of your sign

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved