Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
That was one of proxibids main sellng points. When they advertised the auction that sign was on everything they talked about. I was offered $275 a few weeks ago on ebay but backed out worring about authenticity. And yeah its on ebay now but if you read the description I asked people for info but no one had any. If I could find a repop comp. that produced this sign a would agree with everytthing yall say. But I have looked for hrs. and can't find one or a original one anywhere. I even called the person I bought it from the other day and basicly accused her of selling me a repop and she again verified the sign. She didn't have any reason to lye.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In your ebay description you state that the sign is not a reproduction "guaranteed". What do you base that guarantee on? I would take notchad's advice and hang it on the wall.

Last edited by tjhvintage; Sun Nov 20 2011 11:11 AM.

Member #163
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Hang it up proudly and you'll always have a great story to tell your grandkids! You have the only sign of it's kind and got it from the legend himself......

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Can you guarantee its not? Is it not possible that a person working for a comp. would put something like that up? And everything I get from the seller is guaranteed. How can you say for 100% not original when no one can find the original or a repop. No I'm not the brightest color in the box but I was trying to find answers straight from the sources and that is why I came to this site. If I didn't care about trying to do right I wouldn't be askin yall.

Last edited by dmarcom; Sun Nov 20 2011 11:02 AM.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Good luck on your journey.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all the help. The ad comes off tonight and it won't sell anyways so after it comes off I'll just keep it until I find someone who knows for 100%. EVERY one have a great day. And the hunt goes on!!!!

W
W
You came to oldgas for opinions, hopefuly not a debate.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it was a very limited reproduction sign made back in the day . And there was no license or permission authorize
And some one just made a few of these. Not trying to burst your bubble or any thing. It just looks like a total fantasy piece to me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The consesus is repop. Thanks notchcad for the happy ending.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF the one that just sold at auction was indeed an original it would have brought WAY more than $275. There are enough collectors at every auction where a piece like this would not slip through the cracks, Especially at the Holt auction that was just held.
Probably not a mass produced repop, but there were several fantasy signs that were made and given to mobil employees

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most/all of what we have expressed is based on experience in the hobby plus research. For those who collect Mobiloil/ SOCONY/ Vacuum their expressions are based on their collecting experiences. For those who buy and sale and also collect, their opinions are based on those experiences.

A rough guesstimate on how many different sources have repopped gas and oil items since the 1950s would run into the thousands. So to be able to "pin point" a specific company is like looking for a pin, not in a hay stack, but in a hay field.

It is up to you to determine what you want to believe. Your sign may have been a "1 off". A sign design that wasn't used and the company gave some of the initial production run to their employees. Or it could have been a gift from someone to the original owner of the sign, no one knows right now. OR.......

Everyone, IMO, is giving their honest opinions, that is what you asked for. They have no reason to give you the wrong information, again IMO.

These same members have been polite in their postings.... can you say the same?

You don't want our thoughts on the sign, then ask the moderators if they can lock the thread or remove it.

You have asked for honest opinions on your sign and those opinions are in conflict with your hopes for the sign. Unfortunately that sometimes happens. We all might be wrong, but right now I doubt it.... Remember that if someone does a "search" on your sign, one of the sites they will be directed to will be this thread and all the responses.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
With the opinions express above, I would have a tough time in good conscience leaving the description as it currently reads on Ebay. As a matter of fact, I would stop the auction and relist accurately. Just my opinion. That and one dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

Last edited by Jamie Crosson; Sun Nov 20 2011 12:42 PM.

Jamie Crosson
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
not saying whether it is or isn't, but comparing the gargoyle & the "gargoyle" script above it to a known original would cause me to question it. i think that what the others mean by saying it looks odd. the gargoyle script is way off center too. three letters to the left of centerline, 5 to the right. the details just aren't there on the gargoyle. i'm no expert & maybe if it was a short run "gift" to employees might explain quality??

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Checking the sellers past auctions...person tried selling on Ebay two other times....before coming here. Even the Ebay uneducated didn't jump on it as it ended at $28 and shy of the reseve once. Some are jumping in now though. This sign,if real, would be worth $$$$ and have huge interest.

The graphics are so bad on this sign! The gargoyle looks "weird" The whole thing is wrong. Even in a limited run by the company itself...for whatever reason....this sign would be a shameful showing. I think this person got the news they really already knew.

We are all watching the auction now!

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess the employee wasn't well liked, company gave him a Fantasy sign instead of a Valueless Gold Watch!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved