Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am pretty sure that this is one of a group of similar signs offered by Weber's in the 1970s. The group included this one, a "Gilmore Aircraft" made from the graphics on a Lion sign, a Texaco Aviation, and several others. They were not exactly a "limited run", but rather the entire market was limited back then and probably no more than 100 or so made up. All of these signs were pure fantasy, with no counterpart in real life.
However, without that insight (a I think I can probably find an old catalog and prove this), simply look at the sign - the graphics are not right; the story is not right - Mobil was not using the Gargoyle design in this fashion in the 1950s, and finally how was this sign used. Lubester? Then were are the rest of them. Mobil used decals on their lubesters.
Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Hi! just checked my signs. I have one just like yours in Plastic wrap. I cannot remember where i bought it! but i have a price on it for $30 so it tells me i paid $25 for it !! Sorry Allan.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm back. So what do you call this sign. A fanatasy sign? Is there even a Aero W aircraft oil? The person I got this sign from still says its original and still sticks to her story. I do know yall know alot more than me. And I did buy the sign to resell. I really don't mean to sound like a butt, but I had no reason not to beleive her. So is this a rare sign? Was it a limited run by a comp. back in the 70s? Or was there a original sign that looked like this one. And if it was a fantasy sign what is the purpose of it? If there were only a 100 or so made is it rare? I know I'm grasping for straws here but I don't need it and I need something to help sell it. Any thoughts? And yes I did take it off ebay. As you can tell from my feedback I'm new to sellin on ebay and I do try to do right. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by dmarcom; Sun Nov 20 2011 05:48 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
no need to grasp at straw anymore!!! if you couldnt take a hint.....most seasoned collectors would classify this as scrap garbage. new in the plastic worth about $19.99! out of the plastic and used worth about $5.00. its not worth debating any longer. who cares how many repops were in the run. its fake, phoney, junk, decorator *****. IT IS NOT A REAL ORIGINAL VINTAGE PIECE OF ADVERTISING!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
You don't need anything to "help sell" a sign. If you don't want it, just put it on ebay with an honest description as a fantasy sign with no reserve. It will sell for decorative value to somone who is decorating a man cave and is not a collector. I understand your frustration. All of us, at some time have made a purchase with the belief it was the genuine article, and it is dificult to learn that you were mistaken. That goes for newbies and seniored collectors alike. This site is full of experienced collectors, and if anyone of them believed your sign was authentic, you would have been bombarded with offers. If you are truly seeking knowledge, and are willing to be a little more accepting of it, then I hope that you do not let some of the negative responses keep you from comming back!

Welcome to Oldgas
James

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: JamesD
You don't need anything to "help sell" a sign. If you don't want it, just put it on ebay with an honest description as a fantasy sign with no reserve. It will sell for decorative value to somone who is decorating a man cave and is not a collector. I understand your frustration. All of us, at some time have made a purchase with the belief it was the genuine article, and it is dificult to learn that you were mistaken. That goes for newbies and seniored collectors alike. This site is full of experienced collectors, and if anyone of them believed your sign was authentic, you would have been bombarded with offers. If you are truly seeking knowledge, and are willing to be a little more accepting of it, then I hope that you do not let some of the negative responses keep you from comming back!

Welcome to Oldgas
James

I agree 100%.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just maybe the seller was telling you what she was told by the seller she got it from. If that seller was an old man or the wife of, WE all know that older men have a tendency to forget the Truth from time to time!

Re;
"Pres. Clinton: I Did Not Have Sex w/ That Women"

OK!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sun Nov 20 2011 06:52 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Found it in the Time Passages catalog from March, 1988

Stations059.jpg

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bingo!,

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great Detective work there! smile

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
When I read the first few posts in this thread I thought "uh oh, here we go...." but I think DMARCOM came with a legitimate question on an item they were told a little fib about and in return they were treated with respect and honesty, rather than insults, sarcasm and lynching from an angry mob. Very refreshing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice detective work there Wayne!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
And that is all I was asking for. Thank you so much for the answer. You are the man. You answered all my questions with that one pic. Have a GREAT Thanksgiving. Drew,,,,

Online Cool
Thanks, Wayne!
There are many in our community, including me, who appreciate the opinions expressed in a tactful way to help a new guy.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved