Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#285951 Sun Nov 20 2011 09:41 AM
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am trying to verify some info on a sign I bought to resale. The sign is a early 50s Mobil Oil Aircraft Aero "W" w/ Gargoyle. I was told the sign was only givin to employees of Mobil who worked on the Aero "W" project and that this sign cannot be reproduced because of lisenceing. The sign is in mint condition and it's round and measures 12" across. I would like to know a good value since I am looking to sell it. Any info would be greatly appreciated and I am just trying to verify what I was told.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas... if its the one I'm thinking of it is a repo... anything can be reproduced- a picture of what you have would help..

RANDY
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
How would you know its a repo not being able to see it. Just wondering. And I'm not able to load a pic at this time but I will later thanks

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm sorry, thanks for the welcome.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thats it. Just trying to verify what I was told. I don't to want to sell something wrong. And from what I was told this sign couldn't be reproduced by law. I have searched the internet for a repo and couldn't find one.

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Hmmmmmmmm I'd say it's a fake. Something doesnt look correct from here! I wouldn't sell it as real and have to refund someone's money and have a mark against you on eBay.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
how would I know- you told me enough in your description.
now that I see a picture it is confirmed..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: dmarcom
Thats it. Just trying to verify what I was told. I don't to want to sell something wrong. And from what I was told this sign couldn't be reproduced by law. I have searched the internet for a repo and couldn't find one.

There is no one to enforce the law on this stuff.
Any thing can be reproduced in this hobby.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm not trying to be a smatybutt but where would where would it have come from for one. And they did auction one off on proxibid last weekend under the Pete Holt auction that they say it is authentic for $275 that looks exactly like the one I have. It looks so new because it was givin to a man that worked on that project and was put up by him and never used. If I could find a repo out there I would know for sure. And I do appreciate your thoughts. But all and all it just don't add up.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Does Mobil or any other company not have to give permission to reproduce there signs?

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Nope. And auctions sell repps all the time. Auction houses have no clue what they are looking at just like you. They don't care about anything nor have time to think bout it. I went to an auction recently and watched a bunch of repop stuff and touched up clear coated stuff sell. They never mentioned it.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I know you have better things to do that sit here and mess with this but if you have time google the name Walter P. Neeley and see the things he invented for Mobil. The sign came from his family and I have verified that. Why would this man have a repo when he would have access to anything from Mobil back in the day. If it wasn't for these things I would take everything you say to the bank because I know you know alot more about these things than me. Even if it is a repo it is interesting to find out the truth. Thanks for the help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF MOBIL or ANY company THINKS that your going to make mega bucks off using their name/logo, then they will Defend their interest to the point you will be made an example of.

Quite a few members here have been around the block more than just once.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In a perfect world trademarks would be honored. A number of ethical people do contact a Company to see if a License is needed. Often one is not needed, unless there is going to be a "large production run" of items.

IMO, most people who are selling "rip-offs" don't want to bring too much attention to themselves. If they got permission to make a repop then they would be required to put "license of XYZ Company" on the item. Right away telling the world the item is reproduced.

I went back to my Mobil Collector's Guide and can't find any mention of your sign

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
That was one of proxibids main sellng points. When they advertised the auction that sign was on everything they talked about. I was offered $275 a few weeks ago on ebay but backed out worring about authenticity. And yeah its on ebay now but if you read the description I asked people for info but no one had any. If I could find a repop comp. that produced this sign a would agree with everytthing yall say. But I have looked for hrs. and can't find one or a original one anywhere. I even called the person I bought it from the other day and basicly accused her of selling me a repop and she again verified the sign. She didn't have any reason to lye.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In your ebay description you state that the sign is not a reproduction "guaranteed". What do you base that guarantee on? I would take notchad's advice and hang it on the wall.

Last edited by tjhvintage; Sun Nov 20 2011 11:11 AM.

Member #163
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Hang it up proudly and you'll always have a great story to tell your grandkids! You have the only sign of it's kind and got it from the legend himself......

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Can you guarantee its not? Is it not possible that a person working for a comp. would put something like that up? And everything I get from the seller is guaranteed. How can you say for 100% not original when no one can find the original or a repop. No I'm not the brightest color in the box but I was trying to find answers straight from the sources and that is why I came to this site. If I didn't care about trying to do right I wouldn't be askin yall.

Last edited by dmarcom; Sun Nov 20 2011 11:02 AM.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Good luck on your journey.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all the help. The ad comes off tonight and it won't sell anyways so after it comes off I'll just keep it until I find someone who knows for 100%. EVERY one have a great day. And the hunt goes on!!!!

W
W
You came to oldgas for opinions, hopefuly not a debate.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it was a very limited reproduction sign made back in the day . And there was no license or permission authorize
And some one just made a few of these. Not trying to burst your bubble or any thing. It just looks like a total fantasy piece to me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The consesus is repop. Thanks notchcad for the happy ending.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF the one that just sold at auction was indeed an original it would have brought WAY more than $275. There are enough collectors at every auction where a piece like this would not slip through the cracks, Especially at the Holt auction that was just held.
Probably not a mass produced repop, but there were several fantasy signs that were made and given to mobil employees

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most/all of what we have expressed is based on experience in the hobby plus research. For those who collect Mobiloil/ SOCONY/ Vacuum their expressions are based on their collecting experiences. For those who buy and sale and also collect, their opinions are based on those experiences.

A rough guesstimate on how many different sources have repopped gas and oil items since the 1950s would run into the thousands. So to be able to "pin point" a specific company is like looking for a pin, not in a hay stack, but in a hay field.

It is up to you to determine what you want to believe. Your sign may have been a "1 off". A sign design that wasn't used and the company gave some of the initial production run to their employees. Or it could have been a gift from someone to the original owner of the sign, no one knows right now. OR.......

Everyone, IMO, is giving their honest opinions, that is what you asked for. They have no reason to give you the wrong information, again IMO.

These same members have been polite in their postings.... can you say the same?

You don't want our thoughts on the sign, then ask the moderators if they can lock the thread or remove it.

You have asked for honest opinions on your sign and those opinions are in conflict with your hopes for the sign. Unfortunately that sometimes happens. We all might be wrong, but right now I doubt it.... Remember that if someone does a "search" on your sign, one of the sites they will be directed to will be this thread and all the responses.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
With the opinions express above, I would have a tough time in good conscience leaving the description as it currently reads on Ebay. As a matter of fact, I would stop the auction and relist accurately. Just my opinion. That and one dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

Last edited by Jamie Crosson; Sun Nov 20 2011 12:42 PM.

Jamie Crosson
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
not saying whether it is or isn't, but comparing the gargoyle & the "gargoyle" script above it to a known original would cause me to question it. i think that what the others mean by saying it looks odd. the gargoyle script is way off center too. three letters to the left of centerline, 5 to the right. the details just aren't there on the gargoyle. i'm no expert & maybe if it was a short run "gift" to employees might explain quality??

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Checking the sellers past auctions...person tried selling on Ebay two other times....before coming here. Even the Ebay uneducated didn't jump on it as it ended at $28 and shy of the reseve once. Some are jumping in now though. This sign,if real, would be worth $$$$ and have huge interest.

The graphics are so bad on this sign! The gargoyle looks "weird" The whole thing is wrong. Even in a limited run by the company itself...for whatever reason....this sign would be a shameful showing. I think this person got the news they really already knew.

We are all watching the auction now!

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess the employee wasn't well liked, company gave him a Fantasy sign instead of a Valueless Gold Watch!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am pretty sure that this is one of a group of similar signs offered by Weber's in the 1970s. The group included this one, a "Gilmore Aircraft" made from the graphics on a Lion sign, a Texaco Aviation, and several others. They were not exactly a "limited run", but rather the entire market was limited back then and probably no more than 100 or so made up. All of these signs were pure fantasy, with no counterpart in real life.
However, without that insight (a I think I can probably find an old catalog and prove this), simply look at the sign - the graphics are not right; the story is not right - Mobil was not using the Gargoyle design in this fashion in the 1950s, and finally how was this sign used. Lubester? Then were are the rest of them. Mobil used decals on their lubesters.
Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Hi! just checked my signs. I have one just like yours in Plastic wrap. I cannot remember where i bought it! but i have a price on it for $30 so it tells me i paid $25 for it !! Sorry Allan.

D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm back. So what do you call this sign. A fanatasy sign? Is there even a Aero W aircraft oil? The person I got this sign from still says its original and still sticks to her story. I do know yall know alot more than me. And I did buy the sign to resell. I really don't mean to sound like a butt, but I had no reason not to beleive her. So is this a rare sign? Was it a limited run by a comp. back in the 70s? Or was there a original sign that looked like this one. And if it was a fantasy sign what is the purpose of it? If there were only a 100 or so made is it rare? I know I'm grasping for straws here but I don't need it and I need something to help sell it. Any thoughts? And yes I did take it off ebay. As you can tell from my feedback I'm new to sellin on ebay and I do try to do right. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by dmarcom; Sun Nov 20 2011 05:48 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
no need to grasp at straw anymore!!! if you couldnt take a hint.....most seasoned collectors would classify this as scrap garbage. new in the plastic worth about $19.99! out of the plastic and used worth about $5.00. its not worth debating any longer. who cares how many repops were in the run. its fake, phoney, junk, decorator *****. IT IS NOT A REAL ORIGINAL VINTAGE PIECE OF ADVERTISING!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
You don't need anything to "help sell" a sign. If you don't want it, just put it on ebay with an honest description as a fantasy sign with no reserve. It will sell for decorative value to somone who is decorating a man cave and is not a collector. I understand your frustration. All of us, at some time have made a purchase with the belief it was the genuine article, and it is dificult to learn that you were mistaken. That goes for newbies and seniored collectors alike. This site is full of experienced collectors, and if anyone of them believed your sign was authentic, you would have been bombarded with offers. If you are truly seeking knowledge, and are willing to be a little more accepting of it, then I hope that you do not let some of the negative responses keep you from comming back!

Welcome to Oldgas
James

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: JamesD
You don't need anything to "help sell" a sign. If you don't want it, just put it on ebay with an honest description as a fantasy sign with no reserve. It will sell for decorative value to somone who is decorating a man cave and is not a collector. I understand your frustration. All of us, at some time have made a purchase with the belief it was the genuine article, and it is dificult to learn that you were mistaken. That goes for newbies and seniored collectors alike. This site is full of experienced collectors, and if anyone of them believed your sign was authentic, you would have been bombarded with offers. If you are truly seeking knowledge, and are willing to be a little more accepting of it, then I hope that you do not let some of the negative responses keep you from comming back!

Welcome to Oldgas
James

I agree 100%.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just maybe the seller was telling you what she was told by the seller she got it from. If that seller was an old man or the wife of, WE all know that older men have a tendency to forget the Truth from time to time!

Re;
"Pres. Clinton: I Did Not Have Sex w/ That Women"

OK!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sun Nov 20 2011 06:52 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Found it in the Time Passages catalog from March, 1988

Stations059.jpg

Wayne Henderson
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bingo!,

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great Detective work there! smile

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
When I read the first few posts in this thread I thought "uh oh, here we go...." but I think DMARCOM came with a legitimate question on an item they were told a little fib about and in return they were treated with respect and honesty, rather than insults, sarcasm and lynching from an angry mob. Very refreshing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice detective work there Wayne!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
D
dmarcom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
And that is all I was asking for. Thank you so much for the answer. You are the man. You answered all my questions with that one pic. Have a GREAT Thanksgiving. Drew,,,,

Thanks, Wayne!
There are many in our community, including me, who appreciate the opinions expressed in a tactful way to help a new guy.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My hat is off to Drew (dmarcom) for pulling his auction from eBay BEFORE Wayne came up with the repro catalog picture. I know I could feel Drew's early frustration and disappointment with the feedback he was getting (before the catalog picture post). But, good for him for pulling the auction because of these earlier doubts and because he apparently wanted to be an honest seller. We all know that many eBay sellers wouldn't have done that.

And congrats to the Old Gas gang who kept things professional in giving their input.

I hope Drew continues to frequent the site. Best to all, John

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
yet another reason to keep all these repro sign catalogs.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Take the sign back to the seller along with a copy of that picture of the catalog page. Get your money back and chalk this up to the experience column.

As Gregory House on House MD says "everybody lies", whether intentional or not, always proof out what someone says when they start spinning (a) Yarn.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To take all of this a step further, there seems to be a group of these early mass-market repro signs that are now, 20+ years ahead, causing these kinds of problems. Look for an extended "Repro Alert" showing these signs in an upcoming issue of PCM.

Wayne Henderson
www.pcmpublishing.com

Wayne Henderson
Kernersville, NC
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved