Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Grumpy! Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone.
I am a newbe to this forum and I have only posted a couple of times. I just got some parts from a Tokheim 452 AP gas pump. The ID tag is dated 10-59. I would like sell the parts but I would like to make sure I list them properly so the people looking for them will be able to find them. I don't know how to post pictures yet so hopefully a can figure it out. I don't know if you have a WIW section on the site or not. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Grumpy! Offline OP
OP Offline
Well. I guess this site is dead. Not one reply. If anyone is interested The pump parts are listed on ebay Just look up Tokheim 452 Interceptor. With the fact that no one responed with any help on pricing or ID I guess you guys are not interested. I get the same when I email people here that have items for sale. No Reply is it sold nothing.Most likely I'm not going to spend much time on this site. Thanks for nothing

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
To the veterans, this is a modern pump, not many of us are restoring them. If we find one, and it is reasonably priced we might buy it to resell it.
As for the newer, younger guys, this pump might have more appeal.
There are still a lot of these pumps out there, so there is not a big market for parts.
The instructions for posting pics are shown at the top of this section.
Also, this is Holiday time, guys are more interested in family this week.
I think it is a little quick to judge just because you didn't get a reply, look down the forums, there are a lot of posts with 0 replies.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This site is far from being dead. You seem to be taking your lack of responses awfully personal. If I may, I suggest you reread your first post in this thread. It basically reads(to me) that youve got some parts for a pump. But you dont say what they are. Many people are able to post pictures (Many not so computer savy people like myself)but its to much trouble for you to figure out how. There are some people here that like these pumps and probably could use some of the parts. To be honest I dont even know what a WIW section is. What is it? I guess general information would be that its considered a newer pump but still desirable to some.

Last edited by JimT; Wed Nov 23 2011 04:04 PM.
Online Cool
Sorry that you didn't get what you expected. I have no idea how our members could have identified your parts or quoted a value without seeing them or having specific descriptions of them. If you could have posted some pictures, it would have helped explain what parts you have and what condition they are in.

If by "WIW" you mean "What's it worth?" - we do have a Petroliana Value Questions forum. Questions about values have a better chance of being answered if they are posted there, but value posts should have pictures and the best description you can come up with.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
One more thing everyone is ignoring, this is not the forum for selling parts, the "For Sale or Trade" is the correct forum for selling parts.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Grumpy! Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to come off as being negative but if this site is mostly concerned about the early pumps then this might not be the site for me. I personally like the late 50's thru the 70's Items. The early stuff to me is not very interesting. For the most part they all look the same,They are overpriced and there in front of most local shops and homes in my area. I don't know if the pumps follow the same pattern as the old cars but if it is the people on this page are probably the 60 plus age. I don't know of any young guys out there that can't live without a 20's gas pump in there driveway. I thought this page would have a greater knowledge base. I guess I'm spoiled for being able to post on any mopar site and know any details about any model or year Chrysler. Even the new cars. If there is a site more for the 50's and up please let me know.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Chaargerb, You might not mean to come off negative, but you sure do. I don't want to be negative, but allow me to set you straight on a few things:
Many members here have been in Petroliana from day one and have the most knowledge you will find anywhere. Most are happy to answer your questions and help you out, provided you show an interest in the hobby and the desire to learn. Of course, being polite helps too.
You are probably right that most here are more interested in the earlier pumps. However, we always encourage new and younger members, and most understand that as we get older people will be collecting later model pumps. My pump is from the 50's and I think some of the pumps from the 60's and 70's are cool too. I am 51, but we have a member that is only 12 on here.
Re-read your posts and see how you come off. I think you got off on the wrong foot and may want to try again. I, and many others, want younger people to contribute to this site and I guarantee that every member here will tell you collect what you enjoy and will support you in your efforts,provided that you show a genuine interest and are polite.
Your Mopar site is probably a great forum with thousands of members. This site has ALL of the most knowledgeable Petroliana people, but with much fewer members, so its more like a community. If you are really interested in this, try taking some of the advice, stick around and contribute your knowledge and opinions in a polite manner. You wont regret it.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Grumpy! Offline OP
OP Offline
Again I'm not trying to come off in a bad way. If you look at the post it went almost 3 days without a response. As soon as a got a little grumpy a got my first response in just over an hour. I asked for help a couple of months ago on a different item and again did not get any help. I also have emailed people on some items I had interest in on the for sale page but again did not get even one return email about the items I asked about. Not even a sorry the item was sold. The other thing a don't understand is the amount of items for sale that don't post a price. Why can't people post a price? Most sites I visit make it mandatory to post a price in the for sale pages. If you don't post a price it gets pulled. Don't forget I am new here and don't know the ins and outs of this web site. I agree that when I can figure out how to post pictures and get to the right page to post it will be helpful. Remember this is my experience with the site as a newbe. Maybe others have had the same problem. I don't expect the red carpet treatment just some help to jumpstart my gas pump knowledge. I'm the student you guys are the Masters. If you know about something speak up. cause when your gone all that history lost. Just my 2 cents

Online Cool
New member or not, anyone who asks for value and identification of items without a picture stands a good chance of not getting an answer.

Posting an item for sale with no price and/or no pictures also hurts the chance of getting a response. The difference is - The value post benefits only the person asking, while the for sale post could end up with both the buyer adding an item to his collection and the seller getting cash.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A good number of posts don't get a reply, it isn't anything personal usually. Most members if they are looking for an answer politely bring the topic up again, sometimes more than once or twice.

As to the knowledge one has acquired.... It is just that;.... Knowledge that someone else, has acquired! Those that hold the knowledge will decide for themselves, when to share it and with whom they will share it with.

Just because one is new or if they have been in the hobby for 70 years... One has to ask politely and with respect if they expect people to respond. I'm one of those who has been in this hobby for close to 50 years. I AM NOT OBLIGATED TO GIVE OUT MY KNOWLEDGE TO ANYONE!!!!!! I chose to help those who ask me politely and respectfully. When I in turn ask for information, I do my utmost to be respectful and polite when asking.

While watching a program the other day, the central character repeated a saying I heard as a young child. It rang true in the late 50s as it does now, at least IMO;

"If I treat everyone the same, then I can treat no one as special"

The knowledge each and every person in this hobby has acquired is not commonplace nor insignificant. Nor in my opinion is it to be treated as such, for such information is special.

You might want to be a touch more polite in your postings and realize that you are asking for information from others. They, in turn, will either share or not share their knowledge. Either way, it will be on their terms not yours. As they hold the knowledge you possibly want/need.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well said Bob; Newbie, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you like late 50's thru 70's stuff. I'll go out on a limb here and say most of us like the earlier plain jane everything looks the same overpriced stuff from the past. I don't know what your pump parts are worth because I don't collect anything that new. Don't run off,you may just be breaking new ground here for younger collectors. If you learn anything about these parts or anything else from the late 50's thru 70's pumps and other items from that era, please share it here, we're never to old to learn. ;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GREAT ATTITUDE Grumpy!

Grumpy! Offline OP
OP Offline
Jim oldgas. Thanks for helping and I do think your site is great.

Bob Richards "I AM NOT OBLIGATED TO GIVE OUT MY KNOWLEDGE TO ANYONE!!!!!! I chose to help those who ask me politely and respectfully. When I in turn ask for information, I do my utmost to be respectful and polite when asking." I did ask politely and respectfully.

When I said "The early stuff to me is not very interesting. For the most part they all look the same,They are overpriced and there in front of most local shops and homes in my area. I don't know if the pumps follow the same pattern as the old cars but if it is the people on this page are probably the 60 plus age.

That is my opinion. If it offends you that I don't like the older stuff and that I'm not over 60 then I'm sorry.

Dick Bennett. GREAT ATTITUDE Grumpy! Well Dick you hit the nail on the head. If Jim approves then I'm changing my posting name to Grumpy!

Maybe you guys need someone to shake things up around here! I took my rose colored glasses off years ago!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"I don't expect the red carpet treatment just some help to jumpstart my gas pump knowledge. I'm the student you guys are the Masters. If you know about something speak up. cause when your gone all that history lost. Just my 2 cents"

If you somehow consider the statement above to be respectful and polite, well good luck in the hobby.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Grumpy! Offline OP
OP Offline
Bob Richards "I AM NOT OBLIGATED TO GIVE OUT MY KNOWLEDGE TO ANYONE!!!!!!
Does not sound very respectful and polite.

"I don't expect the red carpet treatment just some help to jumpstart my gas pump knowledge. I'm the student you guys are the Masters. If you know about something speak up. cause when your gone all that history lost. Just my 2 cents"

I don't see anything wrong with this statement.

I've helped 1000's of people in the Chrysler hobby. I've given 100's of hours of my life to help pass the knowledge I have. It's the greatest thing to me to know that the people I have helped learned something,That I was able to save them time and money and with any luck maybe they will do the same.

Bob: If you don't want to share your knowledge that is your choice. If I have to jump thru hoops or kiss your hinnie that's not going to happen!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'd like to add a few thoughts on this. Posters certainly pile on here when someone attacks or criticizes the site in any way. It's just the way it is. You will get many posts for that.

The pumps you like make total sense for you as they are from an era of your Mopars. You like them because they compliment your automotive interests (your passion I assume).

I looked at your parts for sale and my thought is....a very hard sell. These pumps are out of the mainstream pump collecting interest...very little goes on concerning these pumps amongst petro collectors...there is very limited information compiled anywhere on them. Not like your Mopars were every tiny detail of every car is pretty easily available.

Also, I agree that this post by you was doomed to no reply with being so vague and no picture. Look around the site just a little and you will find easy instruction on posting pictures....or if all else fails,there is always someone that will post them for you if you ask(nicely).

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Welcome to Oldgas ,your sure know how to make a grand entranance in to the pool,what a splash ! Good luck with your parts.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Nov 25 2011 06:48 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved