Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Amen to what KW said.I don,t consider anything sold til the money in in my hand.Keep it up for sale til then and first with money gets it.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this isnt e-bay, and glad of it! a member rating would really hurt this site . from the last few years of using this site i know who i can deal with and who i cant.i use this site as a priveledge, and for knowledge, and not to diss members.jm2c.

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have had 2 people back out of a deal in last year. I was asking a fair price on the items, and wasn't looking for a sucker dumb enough to buy my sign. At the time it's a bit annoying, but I'd rather have a chance to do business with these guys again, so I am forgiving. I bet if I boxed up a 6 ft sign and they backed out I would be *****.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: thermoman
I bet if I boxed up a 6 ft sign and they backed out I would be *****.

NAH! I would be a relief that you didn't have to box it up when you sold it for sure the 2nd time! LOL! It would already be done! wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Is is possible that some of the "situations" mentioned above were miss communication? How about if the "supposed" buyer simply forgot? How about if the "supposed" buyer ran into tough times, or has personal problems that are more important than buying something?

Not to be a buzz kill, but the rating system is a horrible idea. I will tell you why.

First time you have a misunderstanding about condition on something, or a gripe about the shipping, boom! Drama!

First thing many will do is have their buddies rate them so they have a high rank.

Members should be thankful for having a place to sell items for free. (although there are many members that donate some of the money to oldgas, which is absolutely awesome)

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Definately not. we have enough problems on this site now. I would actually like to see some other options disappear. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
well said Ryan

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
here's my thoughts on this, so take them with a grain of salt... i think part of the problem is what i like to call "craigslist fever". it's free, with no repercussions based on conduct. i have listed lots of stuff on craigslist from time to time, & immediately get the same quick "i'll take it" emails similar to the ones seen in the for sale section here. since CL is totally anonymous, about 8 out of 10 "i'll take it's" never get followed up on. i think some use the "i'll take it" to reserve the item for further thought as to whether they really want it or not, or to look for similar things cheaper with the luxury of having the 1st seller hold that item while waiting for further contact. i'm thinking maybe a little of the same rings true here. people jump to be the first in line without thinking about if they really want it knowing if they take 5-10 min to really think about it, it might be gone to the next guy.
would some type of feedback system maybe curb some of this activity? possibly. could it also be abused? yes, just like anything else in life, it can be abused by the less than honorable.
i think some of the confusion here comes from some "i'll take it's" being public in the thread & some being via PM. i know some want to keep their purchases private & i respect that, but maybe a milder solution would be if the seller upon receiving an "i'll take it, posts in the thread " item sold pending payment to "member name". then follow up with a "sale completed" or "item available again due to non contact or payment". that would remove some of the ability to abuse a feedback system & anyone curious about a buyers history could search the for sale forum with that members ID.
the biggest thing is respect & common courtesy, like Paul stated above. sometimes its not as simple as waving a magic wand & pictures suddenly appear, it takes time & work. respect that & give the person who's going out of their way to help you the respect & courtesy of a yes or no reply.
also, on the sellers end, it might be helpful to buyers of large items if it is stated up front that larger items may take up to "x" days/weeks to get crated /boxed & shipped. i'm currently waiting on a large item i purchased 6 wks ago, but told the seller up front to "not rush, ship it when its convenient for you". i know some expect it to be shipped out the day payment is made & a good solid disclaimer as to shipping times might bypass a problem later...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have had dealings with many of you on this site and almost all have been good positive transactions. There are lots of lurkers on here that buy stuff that I never see post also and have no problems with them either. There have been a couple of no pays but I just keep a mental note of them for future reference. I never final pack anything until it is paid for. If I say I am going to buy something from one of you rest assured I will buy and pay for it.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been around a while and have had many many succesful transactions, with just a few that went south, and honestly they have been in the last year, a sign of the times I guess. The situations could have been resolved out of the gate with a little communication. Circumstances change, people have buyers remorse, which is fine, that's life, but at least have the courtesy to tell the seller, instead of putting them on ignore. This is an honourable hobby save for a few, and being a tight knit group, word travels fast enough, no need for a feedback system, although it would be nice to name repeat offenders.

IMHO we should bring back showing the users total number of posts, it helps clarify reputable users much easier, after a while, the names you don't see every day start to blend.

Last edited by PogoGas.com; Wed Nov 23 2011 12:09 PM.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I agree with KW also. This site isnt primarily for selling things. I can see the ratings being misused given the various personality conflicts on here.
I would think that word would get around pretty quickly about a bad buyer, or seller. Those of you that sell all the time should probably demand Paypal in your account within a day of the sale unless you have had good dealings with the buyer in the past.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
what, Ryan said is right on. Besides don't the mods. have enough to do all ready. happy thanks giving.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I meant to mention that "hats off" should go to Jim. He frequently allows members to weigh in on subjects like this and he really doesn't have to. Some sites I am on are run like a concentration camp. I appreciate the element of democracy he allows on this site...his site.
Thanks Jim
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Vermonter
I meant to mention that "hats off" should go to Jim. He frequently allows members to weigh in on subjects like this and he really doesn't have to. Some sites I am on are run like a concentration camp. I appreciate the element of democracy he allows on this site...his site.
Thanks Jim
John

I'll raise my glass to that as well. Jim's a fair guy and runs a great site.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Lance,

You mentioned:

“IMHO we should bring back showing the users total number of posts, it helps clarify reputable users much easier, after a while, the names you don't see every day start to blend.“

I have hard time connecting the number of posts by a member as to someone being a good buyer ???

Isn’t the registered date good enough?

My 2-cents worth!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved