Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A lot of great points expressed but it still seems like Ebay has zero to do with reality. Ebay knows fakes are being sold, shill bidding and so on. I guess where ever you look you need to use caution and some common sense.

As far as the Schmidt Coca-Cola auction, you may want to use it at the high end of you cost averaging because the proceeds went to charity. It made most of the prices go through the roof, plus the word Museum makes people stupid! LOL

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To the Morons that tells someone They Could get more on ebay, I tell them IF they really thought so they'd have listed it, instead of trying to sell it at a Flea Mkt.

There are Many auctions every week held by different auction houses/on-line that its easy to find current prices on original items [Matthews, Proxy Bid, etc etc]. Value Guides are GREAT for stating sizes, single/double sided, painted/porcelain, etc.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't think this site should be used for "What the value?" So I have never asked that question. Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a petro item and needed the value, the four places I went for information were:
Ebay
Mathews auctions
Aumann auctions
Google

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Nov 22 2011 08:04 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
While looking at sold items, also look at unsold items. Also you can quite often find a bidding frenzy on an item then search around and find an identical item not even being bid on. Ebay also runs hot and cold for almost anything except the pristine high dollar desireable items which almost always do "well"-which is also subjective.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I certainly believe there is shill bidding on ebay, but I think it's the exception vs. the rule.

More times than not..I think the prices of sold items on ebay somewhat reflects the cyclical nature of the hobby.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Ebay is about as close as you're gonna get as a single source, you really have to do you're homework and compare all sources such as online auctions, estate auctions, matthews, and yes flea markets then draw you're own conclusion. Be patient and do a little research. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
yep its me !! smile I always used many different places for values. I would check, live auctioneers, proxibid, worth point, Matthews, ebay and here. Take them all, get an average and go for it.
Happy Turkey day.

ps.. If your a dog lover, you must watch this >>>

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/227689/?trk=vlogo

S
S
To use ebay properly, you must compile data over time, for the items of interest, in your area of the country. Then you will know the high, low, and average prices for said items. This is a local site I use for pins, for example:

http://www.bostonpinball.biz/ebay1111.htm

But again, this info can only be used properly when used in conjunction with other price guides, personal knowledge, etc.. Its just one tool in the box.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ebay can be a good source but you need to look at multiple auctions to get a feel but that is not always possible. One also needs to look at the bid history of certain items to see why the item brought the price it did. Sometimes you will see multiple bidders up to a certain price and then only two bidders from there on out. Many times the realistic price is where all but the last two bidder quit. That could be shill bidding or a couple people just wanting the item. The realistic price to me is where everyone else quit bidding at.

Ebay is sometimes a funny thing though. I have had auctions in the past where I listed an item and no bids. Relisted the same item a couple weeks later with no changes and it brings crazy money. Go figure.

Anyway I use Ebay, Matthews and Aumann Auctionns websites, swap meets, auctions, this site and personal experience to help me determine values.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Just like any other source you look to as a guide for values, eBay has to be taken with a grain of salt and experience.

When someone asks me to value a sign, toy, or other antique, I use my past experience in retail, wholesale, and auction situations; along with research on sites like eBay, Liveauctioneers, Kovels, etc, etc.

When I look at eBay auction results, I look at not only the asking, selling, unsold price, but also the description and pictures utilized in the auction.

A studious person has to realize that prices fluctuate and that given the right circumstances an average price can be eclipsed if two deep pocketed gentlemen really want the particular item. Then that price becomes an anomaly. Statistically it is out of the norm and the value can be thrown out, unless further data like an uptick in the general market point to increasing prices.

I have sold several items online that local buyers are unwilling to pay good money for because they are either uninformed or uninterested. Personally, If I can find a local buyer willing to pay within 20% of the average eBay value, the item remains local. But if someone in Canada, Japan, Australia, or California wants to pay me 10x the local value because they are zealous collectors, they are getting the item.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't do much with Ebay;never have and don't plan to start.I prefer to work within the collectors circles with people who use phrases like,"hey,the mail goes both ways".

Whenyou get up into stuff that hasn't shown up on Ebay in years,or on Dan's auctions either for that matter,I think you had better have an idea of what you are willing to pay and have established a network of people you trust and go from there.And rember,on a lot of that seldom seen stuff we don't know either;we are guessing.But I'll take and informed guess after a discussion with someone I respect over anything else any day.

Oh,I don't sell enough stuff to matter and none of my good stuff.But I have been known to offer the good stuff in trade when I see something I want worse.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved