Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#288734 Sun Dec 04 2011 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
We all know prices on stuff go all over the board, on ebay and in private sales. I'm wondering where you guys think prices are going, or more so where they have gone. Personally, I think everything is down, partiality cans. Ive got lots of them and I don't even bother to list them. Signs seem to be bouncing around, pumps look down to me and globes aren't much better. Am I too pessimism looking at it from here and on ebay or not ? I may be put a lot of my stuff on ebay or oldgas but now doesn't look like a good time. Thank you for thoughts.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
HI-OCTANE #288739 Sun Dec 04 2011 10:18 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: HI-OCTANE
partiality cans. Ive got lots of them and I don't even bother to list them

I'm always a buyer on cans if it is one I need. They will never sell if you don't bother to list them

Jay Leeper
HI-OCTANE #288743 Sun Dec 04 2011 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I think everything is down, partiality cans.
If everything is down, then to me this is the perfect time to buy. Should be some great deals out there. I like to look at the glass as half full, not empty, and take advantage of the opportunity. To answer the topic heading " Where are WE going?", I'm not sure where everyone else is going, but I know I'm GOING to every swap meet and gas show I can, looking to buy. Another positive to lower prices is that it might motivate new people to start collecting. New collectors are vital for this hobby to continue long into the future.

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Sun Dec 04 2011 11:03 AM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
pumpingethyl #288745 Sun Dec 04 2011 11:01 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I just had this conversation with a couple of vendors at slightly different intervals. Of the three of us, we all have seen an increase in sales this year. The sales have been smalls all the way to the high dollar items. In my opinion, things are starting to move again. As for pricing, Signs are strong, Pumps, if restored well are stable, cans, I don't think they are doing much. At least not the ones that we have in the Antique Mall? Where are we going? Same answer as Dennis, above....Time to buy is now. I am optimistic. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Jay Leeper #288748 Sun Dec 04 2011 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been in this so hobby so long that we (My father, some of his collector friends and me getting under foot) were actually paid to take away; pumps, signs, cans and old service station equipment back in the early 1960s. (So I think prices and values have always been strong)

Since then, prices and values have fluctuated like the tide. This phenomena is not unique nor tied only to this hobby. Antique and vintage furniture, Automobiles, stamps, coins... etc. have all seen peak values and deep devaluation. Over all, if one is in the hobby to recoup and/or make money, they should track prices for years, possibly decades to see where the stable mid-value points were. And buy when a down turn is happening!

Most(all) of us don't make our purchases and/or trades thinking as an accountant. Always taking into account, appreciation and depreciation of each item. I think most of us, in fact loose all ability to think at times, when we want a certain item or items.

My way of thinking is; If I buy/trade an item and pay X amount of dollars. I then enjoy it in my collection for any amount of time. If I then sell it or trade it for Y amount of dollars, no matter what Z equals (the total loss or profit on the $ amount of said item) I still come out way ahead because of the pleasure I have gotten out of owning the item. (I am not a picker, nor do I sell very often, so my experiences maybe uniquely mine and mine alone)

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a long drawn out way: If you buy smart, buy quality items and enjoy your items.... in the long run or even short term you come out way ahead. As to values, it is the luck of the draw.... unless you can tell the future or have a working crystal ball.......

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #288760 Sun Dec 04 2011 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We are at a time where you can Buy on Oldgas, Ebay, at Swap meets,etc. and turn around and resell them on Craigslist and at Local auctions and make a buck. There are so many "New" and "Inexperienced" collectors paying crazy money for stuff.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #288773 Sun Dec 04 2011 01:22 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Rick you hit the nail on the head....I put a esso sign is a local auction that was cut in half with a sawzall and someone paid top dollar for it. There are many inexperienced collectors out there paying top dollar for items. Look at all these repros selling for insane amounts? I am newer to this hobby, but have done countless hours of research which I feel is critical. I feel the good will always be good, but the run of the mill stuff will drop in value substantially. The main problem we are facing as collectors is who will want to fork over or even have the money to purchase some f these Petro items in the future? There is high unemployment, people are loosing jobs everyday, the next wave of forclosures is about to hit.......where do we go from here? Our items have a "niche" market. I feel prices were high a few years ago due to the muscle car craze and people needed items to decorate their garage that held their overpriced muscle car. If the economy gets worse people will be selling stuff left and right and take big hits because the funds are needed. This hobby has always been about the history to me and enjoyment, but with the cost of some of these items..... I think twice before pulling the trigger.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #288778 Sun Dec 04 2011 01:49 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I collect mainly pumps and globes. Prices for unrestored pumps have gone up, no one was buying restored pumps but that is starting to turn around. I mainly get my globes from ebay and they are low enders. I don't see the selection there was 10 years ago for globes between 100-200. The ones I have seen have been bought for more than I would pay for them. Mid dollar range globes are down. Jusy my two cents. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't agree about making a buck on Craigslist. I put signs up on CL and buyers only want to low ball my already low/reasonable price.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
P
P
I posted a topic about aweek ago about "What is a Book Value" and I would have to say from the responses that I learned alot of the higher prices are due the area where the item is sold.But I still have to agree that prices are all over the place even in the same area.One thing I think we have also overlooked is the age of the some of the people spending the big money for stuff.From my experience most have kids that are grown and now have some money to spend.I also have found like someone before mentioned public auctions seem to get a higher price then other avenues for selling.

Playtag #288967 Mon Dec 05 2011 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I agree with Doc, I put two globes on Craigslist, one all original capo Shamrock globe for $200.00 And a all original milk glass Red Crown globe with 7" metal base for $250.00 and not one call on the Red Crown. And one guy told me I was too high on the Shamrock.
So I gave up. I'll break them before I come down on a already good price. What do these people expect!

pumpingethyl #288968 Mon Dec 05 2011 10:01 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: pumpingethyl
Personally, I think everything is down, partiality cans.
If everything is down, then to me this is the perfect time to buy. Should be some great deals out there. I like to look at the glass as half full, not empty, and take advantage of the opportunity. To answer the topic heading " Where are WE going?", I'm not sure where everyone else is going, but I know I'm GOING to every swap meet and gas show I can, looking to buy. Another positive to lower prices is that it might motivate new people to start collecting. New collectors are vital for this hobby to continue long into the future.

I couldn't have said it better myself.....

gmstuff #288977 Mon Dec 05 2011 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Globes are down a little and i have taken every chance i can to add some great pieces to my collection. I have bought some great stuff!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #289001 Mon Dec 05 2011 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Me too JJ ! Just because some prices might be depressed, is not the time to worry! Its the time to buy!
Pumps seem as strong as ever. I sure don't have any problem finding buyers for them. Porcelain signs seem to be very strong too, and tough to find the good ones!
If prices were higher than heck, I'm sure people would be worried about being unable to buy anything! LOL

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #289013 Mon Dec 05 2011 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On the flip side....there was an auction this wweekend and a Texaco Farm Lubricants Sign, that I thought $400-$500 was plenty...sold for $800. guess I am going to have to get a crowbar out and dig into my wallet if I am going to keep buying.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved