Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I parse that to read that the gasoline, not the crown, was dyed purple.
But, how recently was non-farm use fuel dyed? The cigar box shows the late '40s-late '50s version of the torch and oval. The "purple power" advertising sign I've seen dated from the '30s.

With Chicago so close to Whiting, I'd guess that the more unusual marketing would be in the Chicago area. By the Pure Oil research center in Crystal Lake was a frequently updated test market station. Such fun!

Last edited by Maps for the memories; Tue Dec 06 2011 09:25 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Maps, isn't that slogan great on that box? "A good gasoline is like a good smoke!'...can you imagine the uproar for similar advertising today! I concur it is quite fun putting all the clues together!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm always amused when I see smoking items, especially matches, used to advertise gasoline.
"Here, try these together and see what happens!"

Another amusing cigar box I've seen featured the Milwaukee Public Library.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Maps, any links to the purple power ads of the 30s that you mentioned?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
No links saved, but I'll see what I can find. There was a picture on Oldgas of a roof rack sign with 3 sides and suction cups at Peotone last year, if I recall.

In the Duke collection pointed out in another thread, I saw a purple Pan-Am billboard (not in color) using the old sunburst Pan-Am logo. With the Pan-Am/Standard of Indiana connection, that's another clue toward the pre-WWII vintage.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
roof rack sign with 3 sides and suction cups

I've got one, BUT they are 2 sided like a laying down V, made for the roof of car/truck. Has "it's Purple---it's Powerful", in the middle has a RED CROWN.
As w/ the link above it shows an advertisment picture, it advertises RED CROWN Gasoline as being PURPLE, Nothing mentioned about a PURPLE CROWN.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I found the definitive article from the 4/5/1954 Chicago Tribune. Referring to the 4th:
...yesterday announced a new regular grade gasoline "with a difference you can see."
...said it had colored the product a "distinctive purple" to identify it as the gasoline with the highest octane rating for regular grade in the company's 65 year history.

So, I guess I was off on the dates and apologize for that. Now the Torch & Oval sign makes sense.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M

another pic of that crown...hard to see the true color...if it was oxidized red, wouldn't it be a blood red? This coloration looks lavender in places. Fascinating!

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Also, that place is a architectural salvage company with access to some absolutely amazing finds in history rich Chicago. They have pieces of old theaters, for example, that are simply stunning. I am still trying to find out the exact station location where they located this. Again, the photo is not totally true to actual color.

Last edited by maojunior; Fri Dec 09 2011 09:50 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's a red crown.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
how do you know, lastgas? By the styling? I defer to your knowledge, and I'm sure you have seen tons of these globes in various conditions. I'd still love to see a photo of a purple crown. Has anyone seen one in any of the books?

Last edited by maojunior; Sat Dec 10 2011 08:44 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved