Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#289756 Thu Dec 08 2011 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have been trying to buy a few signs from an older gentleman. I don't think the deal is going to happen, which is OK. The two of us had a nice conversation at his home the other day. His father started selling Texaco gas as well as car and truck tires in the late twentys. The gas pump was right out in front of the house, we are talking about a very rural operation. We looked through some pictures, it was very interesting. The picture of the Packard pulling the steam boiler was taken around 1931. You can see the Texaco sign in the background. I also have a picture of the Texaco sign as it sits now. In 1955 Admiral Byrd's son showed up at the house on a rainy October evening, he wanted to buy the same Packard as in the snow photo. He ended up buying it, it was paid for by his father. As some of you know Admiral Byrd is one of our countries famous explorers. I took a picture of the original gas pump this past summer, I think it can be safely said that the pump is "in the wild".

DSC00556.JPG DSC00553.JPG phone 221.jpg DSC00558.JPG
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gasmelincelr #289760 Thu Dec 08 2011 05:45 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Nice pics. Always good to hear stories from the people who were involved in the service business of that era. Like that vertical Firestone sign in the background.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Thu Dec 08 2011 05:58 PM. Reason: Sp

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved