Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C

Been behind the scenes at auctions.

Sympathetic to the family? Whine and complain?

I lost my Mom earlier this year and I have a collection of her dolls to dispose of, I know exactly what they are going through. I personally don't plan on going through over 300 dolls to try and price them for a tag sale.

Her Aunt had a collection of over 1000 worth over 1.5 million and they sent them to auction rather than have to mess with tag sales and prolonged personal responsibility for disposal of such a collection.

If you want to have your heartstrings tugged, run a tag sale and let people offer you less for the item than marked because that's what happens, expect to have to rerun the sale again and again or settle in the end for selling the remainder off to a reseller for a wholesale price.

What most of us are saying is that even given a 20% charge by the auctioneer, it is still the far most effective and less cumbersome means to dispose of the collection to the family. I hope they do sell everything at the tag sale, but I wouldn't put all my hopes on that being the case, because it sets up the family for disappointment.

Sadly, this is also one of the worst times of year to hold such tag sales or auctions in general because most people are buying new gifts in retail stores, they aren't going to auctions for them. Dec-Feb are the worst months for attempting estate sales whether via auction or tag. Weather, competition for money, taxes due, etc all add up to it being less than optimal timing.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: always lookin
I have debated on writing this, but this info should be shared. I got a price list of all the signs to the tune of around 11k. When asked if they were good prices I said yes! I can still resell and make money. Knowing that 20 people at a time will be allowed in and I wanted 28 of the signs, I got a hotel and was planning on being first inline. Yesterday I get a NEW price list. Lots of the things I want are now marked up higher. No one ever said the prices may change.
I will keep my opinions to myself. There are the facts.

To Carolinaskies... Unless I misunderstand the English Language, it seems to me, that somebody is complaining about high prices here! And as for timing? How dare Mr. Risk be so inconsiderate as to die at this time of year! Lets just forget the "Garage Sale"! I think the family should just put everything out in the yard for people to pick through, and take what they please. That should relieve the family of the burden. I hope somebody has a place for the dear deceased also. I mean... He did just about ruin Christmas now, didnt he?

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
omg... they decided to have a sale. After months of talking to different people they sent out a price sheet for the sale tomorrow morning. When they found out they priced things so people like me could resell, they raised the prices days before the sale.
They can ask whatever they want. Dont tell people, here are the prices you have been waiting months for, then change things days before the sale.
As my buddy put it... it would be like getting a price on a classic car after discussing it for months, planning your trip and days before you leave to pickup the car, the price is changed.
For the people that think its ok to do that. I would like to see how you would feel, if it happened to you. I could care less what the price is. Just put out the FINAL price sheet one time.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I for one, hope the Moderators will lock down the thread and remove ALL posts that aren't on subject. And since this thread has moved a million miles from that Subject.

Let me remind everyone, especially always lookin... the subject of this thread is the "Garage Sale for the Estate of Gary Risk".

It is NOT about how slighted you may feel, because the family decided to exercise their right to change prices on items.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
If it matters, Gary passed away April 14 2011.

Ed
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
If you read my first response, it was info some would want. If people here were interested in going to the sale and they had heard or seen what prices were, they would now know things had changed. I did not give my opinion in my first post. It blew up from there.

Even though this topic drifted off of the original discussion of the collection estate sale, some good information and opinions were shared here about the challenge of what to do with a collection after the collector passes away.

Please limit future posts in this topic to how it's going at the sale.

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Dec 10 2011 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Indeed, I would like to know how the "garage sale" went regardless of my own opinion on disposal of a collection.

So for those who had the opportunity to go, let us know.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
So no one went to the "garage sale"?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sent a PM to kenj, first of all, to appologize for all the less than polite comments here. And secondly, asking him to reply to your request for information about the garage sale.

I'm Pretty sure, that his reluctance to respond, has a LOT to do with with the lack of consideration to his dilema.

PLEASE!!! For the Love of GOD!!! DROP IT!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My father n law passed away last year and as bad as it can be the house was not paid for and we had to move my mother n law quick. we had a sale and watched as all the things he held so dear were sold . Things some time are not worth as much as the family thinks because their loved one loved it so much.I hope they get as much as they can because I know its hard, sorry for the loss.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
U
U
Seems to me that if the prices were changed and you didn't like it, don't go to the sale.

Gary Risk RIP

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved