Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GMMAN Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi Everyone! Thanks for creating this amazing forum! My name is Ryan and I just bought a 8ft visible gas pump. The man I purchased it from thinks it's a Boyle-Dayton Model 83 but wasn't sure. I am going to try and upload some pictures and hopefully someone will recognize it. It has the Original glass cylinder and I'm sure it has been restored or at least painted. I would like to restore it back to its original state if possible. Please help with any information you have! Thanks!

Gas_1.jpg Gas_2.jpg Gas_3.jpg Gas_4.jpg
Last edited by GMMAN; Fri Dec 23 2011 02:30 PM. Reason: includes pics
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan--These visible pumps were used by a variety of gasoline companies that would have these pumps painted with the colors of their own company for brand recognition.
A good reference guide would be "PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" by Wayne Henderson and Scott Benjamin. This guide gives paint schemes for all the gas & oil companies, as well as color codes and a myriad of other tips on restorations. If you go to the top of the page on Old Gas and click on BOOKSTORE, they should have it listed.
Be sure to learn how to upload pictures as its almost a requirement for efficient communication about these old pumps! Good luck and welcome aboard!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
G
GMMAN Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you for the fast response! I have ordered the book and have also ordered Jack Sims book. I have a feeling this new hobby is going to get expensive real quick! Thanks again Mr. Frith for all the information! I have uploaded the pictures, but I think I have posted in the for sale area. I'm not sure how to change it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BD 83 is correct. Air operated [float ball near top inside cylinder], some also have a hand pump as a backup.
ANY West Coast Company is correct. Leave as is OR Buy your Decals/Signs BEFORE having paint Mixed to match.
The correct globe holder will be a tough find IF yours doesn't have it.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Thank you for purchasing my book (I hope you purchased it from me).

If you had searched the web you would also find pictures of your pump at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/boyle-dayton.htm

This is the largest website devoted to this hobby, over 10,000 images, and just about every pump that is shown in my ID book is shown.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
GMMAN Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi Jack,

I'm very interested in any literature you have pertaining to my Boyle Dayton Visible Gas Pump. The experts on the forum believe that my pump is a model 83. Do you have any schematics on this pump? I also see you have a Boyle Dayton original book on eBay for $200. I am a collector so I would consider purchasing it, if it would help me with parts and identification. Do you have any original parts available for my pump, or know someone who does? I purchased your book online, but if possible would like to buy an autographed copy from you. I emailed you and we can communicate about sales that way.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Ryan

G
GMMAN Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi Dick,

Thank you for your post and expert opinion regarding my pump. I have the globe holder but had to take it off due to my low clearance garage ceiling. :-) I would like to restore this pump with the correct lock mechanism and pump nozzle. I am also missing the gallon indicators. I would like to make this pump functional for filling up my atvs and other toys. I have a handle that came with it, but I'm not sure if it's the correct one. How does the air system work with respect to the pump? Can pyrex make custom glass cylinders in the unfortunate event mine cracks during restoration? Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to take the time and do this right! Thank you very much!
Ryan
rmumma@mac.com

G
GMMAN Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the great pictures Kevin! You have a beautiful collection! I hope someday I will be able to have just a small percent of what you have collected over the years! It's really interesting how gas pumps relate or mirror cars of that era, and how the pumps evolve with respect to the automobile. Our gas pumps today are just like our cars. They all look the same, have no detail just sleek and modern. If I could pull up to a service station, (self)
fill up my gas guzzler while looking at one of these cool pumps, it might just make me feel better for 3.50 a gallon!

gas_6.jpg gas_5.jpg
Last edited by GMMAN; Sat Dec 24 2011 02:57 AM.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Hi Ryan. We;come to the site. Heckofa first pump you got there!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Ryan: Welcome to oldgas. I am just over the pass in Montana.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cover in last picture on lower left side should be covering the pump shaft. Have no idea why there is an un-covered hole, un-less the pump has been changed out to a different one.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice pump ! I have 2 & have seen about 8 more, the Boyle Dayton's seem to be prevelant in the eastern part of Washington.....

AAAAAAAA.jpg
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Nice patent pictures, answers alot of my questions on the ball and nozzle.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is the Patent for the Air Pumping system;
http://www.google.com/patents?id=J4ZeAAA...rds&f=false

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved