Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#293696 Thu Dec 29 2011 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Noticed this on e-Bay, item # 160704063706. Someone Fabricated a hokey island lighter attachment for pedestal tire inflator (ECO 98). No pictures posted of how it attaches to pedestal. The pedestal is a reproduction the pipe/tube for the pedestal is the smaller diameter doesn't fit the base properly. Harp for the shade appears fabricated as well. Reserve not met and it's up to almost $1700.00 ????? I smell something funny here.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #293716 Thu Dec 29 2011 03:29 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
These island lights have been around for years. I keep them in stock and sell them for the restorer who wants a airmeter that is a little different. The pedestal seems to be a repro but it is difficult to determine from the pictures? The tube is fitting really close. There is always a problem with repro bases. I usually mill the base to allow a little more room for the pipe to fit, after paint. It seems to have been restored nicely? I fail to see anything wrong with the unit? $1700.00 is a bit low, in my opinion. Consider that most restored ECO's are bringing $1695.00 without the light arm. The light arm kit sells for around $175.00. Might be that this is the first that has been sold on Ebay? We've sold a bunch at shows though. Best regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #293745 Thu Dec 29 2011 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I don't want "a little different" when I can have "original". That's the advice I give my customers. $1695.00 for a restored ECO 97 is full retail price from a retailer. $1000.00 will land you a nicely restored ECO 97 on e-Bay. I know this because I have purchased over 50 air meters off of e-bay in the past 5 years.
In my opinion $1700.00 for a made up/ fantasy item versus $2500-$3000 for a factory islander is a better investment. I've purchased 2 islanders off of e-bay and 3 privately within that price range. Fantasy items depreciate once purchased whereas an original is an investment.

If you take a reproduction gas pump and put an original computer and an original globe in it; Does it make the gas pump any better or desirable? I don't think so. Maybe a "little different" if that's what a person wants.

Furthermore this seller is being deceptive as a potential bidder inquired if it is an original piece. (See posted question on listing.) Through a play on words the seller tells him the ECO air meter is original. Then posts the question and answer to entice other bidders. Absolutely unacceptable in my opinion.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage #293755 Thu Dec 29 2011 06:28 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I agree with keeping original items original...but when it comes to price this stuff is worth what someone wants to pay. There are so many Ecos that pop up and sell for top dollar. There was one a few weeks back that needed a front cover rear cover and frame that sold for over $740... Apparently someone thought it was worth that. When there is high demand for Ecos the price will rise as with anything else. We have all seen repro signs sell for hundreds of dollars....some people just do not know or do not care. As collectors we have and "idea" of what we "think" the stuff Is worth...we know this from looking at past sales of items and determine an average...is this the correct way to do it? Yes and no. The 90 series Eco is the most popular eco and at this time the prices are strong. I prefer the earlier models, but some do not command 90 series prices as rare as they are. Jm2c

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #293759 Thu Dec 29 2011 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jm2c. I couldn't agree more with you. I watched the listing that you mention. Yes, that was definitely one end of the extreme. You are right on your market analysis of the current demand versus supply of the ECO meters. I use to buy any ECO I could find below $600.00 and that is why I bought so many. I have quite a stock pile of them as a result. I haven't been able to buy lately on e-bay because they have been demanding stronger prices. Hopefully that trend will spill over into other areas of our hobby.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage #293823 Fri Dec 30 2011 05:48 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Dave, OK. It was my intention to simply answer your statement about a "hokey" light arm. I was trying to inform you that they have been manufactured for several years, thinking that you weren't aware? In my opinion, the only thing that the seller did, in answering the Ebay question, was to not state that the light arm was an add on repro piece. Wrong, but he didn't sell the thing anyway??? As far as I can tell? As for " a little different", that is why Henry Ford had to finally paint cars other colors than black. Some people might want different??? Although, I agree that original stuff is the best and my choice, I realize that in a restoration business, I need to offer a customer choices. Do I mislead them into buying a light arm kit??? No,.... but they know we have them if they want. As for ECO's selling at $1695.00 restored being full retail, I again agree. Even at that price, a restoration shop is not getting rich on doing them. Think about it, you said you buy the units for $600, plus shipping? Then you either send out the bright parts for chrome or buy a chrome kit for around $150/200 plus shipping? You rebuild the head and light to be sure that it can be used, instead of just a display item.....$150? You do the body work, paint and re-assemble, $200? Replumb with copper tube and an electric line with light socket, $25? These are examples but, I too have done a bunch of these and, the prices are ballpark correct. I'm looking at $1100-1200 in parts/restoration to ask $1695? Asking price and selling price are rarely the same, as I'm sure you know? I fail to see why a shop shouldn't try to make a little profit if they want to remain in business? As always, my opinion is only worth what you paid for it...."O", but it is not intended to offend nor antagonize. It is just the way I see things. That's all I'll say on this subject. Best regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Fri Dec 30 2011 02:20 PM.
gasmansgp #293953 Fri Dec 30 2011 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hello Paul, I meant no insult and the least of my intentions was to offend you or make you feel uncomfortable. I apologize if through my writing style I conveyed those sentiments to you. Yes, I do restore and sell them, My price is $1650.00. You numbers are dead on and yes everyone should make a profit for honest labor.
My impression (and I may be wrong) was that the majority of the members on this site are into doing their own restorations and would not pay full retail on ECO's or pumps. As such would view E-bay as a marketing tool to obtain an unrestored ECO versus a restored one. In closing, I extend my hand in friendship to you and look forward to sharing ideas and on occassion agreeing to disagree. smile

Dave GILL,

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved