Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
Thanks for all the help so far. I was able to find the mens signs recently.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: danlap99
Awesome pictures- I've never seen that type before

Dan, Where you been ? LOL

Just kidding.

Doug

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have seen these on old Texaco stations throughout Virginia, with most examples dating from the late 1920s thru the mid-1930s. I can confirm sightings in Danville, Lynchburg, and Front Royal back in the 1980s.

Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great info here. Years ago, I had a set of the men/ladies signs. At that time (pre-internet) I was told by some old timers that they were for "Sea Side" Gas Stations. This is the first time, I've seen them associated to Texaco. Thanks for the education.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Wow, These signs are neat - have never seen these. Question - do you know the years in which that Coshocton Beach sign company was in operation? I have some signs dated 1915 from there and just wondered how long that company lasted. Thanks.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Meant to add - I dont know that the Beach company there today is really the same one which produced these awesome signs?? anyone know ?

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I know a lot about the company because Coshocton is my home town I just moved. H.D Beach started in 1896 with the standard advertising co. Then Jasper Meek bought into the company Forming the Meek and Beach co. The signs marked Meek and Beach co in my opinion are the rarest as they were only in buisness together from 1901-1905. If you have a sign marked by the Beach co then it was made between 1912 and 1939. The Beach co that is there now is the exact same company, However they are in a new building with different owners. They make advertising calenders and mouse pads now. They made Millions of porcelain signs most of which were not marked.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a picture of one I have. I bought it at an old D-X station and removed it off of the bathroom door. This is the only one I have seen until this post.

IMG_2702-s.jpg
pic

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
There was a 30" ladies sign that sold on eBay about a week ago. My men's and ladies are a little over 15 " long. I guess there are variations in the shade of Woodgrain also. Some of mine are dark and some are light. Thanks for the pic of oval.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Interesting! I studied some about porcelain enameling by reading some old books I had gotten. I restored a few salesman sample cooking stoves that were made locally from about 1890-1920. They must have kept that a company secret! Why we don't see porcelain enameling now? lead and arsenic in various compounds are used in the process, rather dangerous to work with..... Those signs do look good! it would be neat to see how they made them. Thanks for sharing with us! tt

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Absolutely awesome info! thanks - those porcelain signs from this time are great. The thermometers (Carter Paint and Red Seal Batteries) from Beach 1915 are really nice items.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting comment there about porcelain cook stoves oldgoaly.I've got a porcelain gas range cooking stove that I got from an old farmstead here in NM that must have came from the 20's or so judging from the old vehicles that were also there.

Moving back in time,perhaps,I also have an old cast iron coal shuttle,I guess that is what they were called with a very intricate domed porcelain insert in the lid.

Moving up in time,I have a Champion spark plug gauge,round the size of a half dollar or so that could be on a key ring,that has a small domed porcelain Champion logo in the center of it.

I really like the domed,embossed and shaped use of porcelain.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just found a woodgrain Texaco sign that says Marfak Lubrication on it. Negotiating with the owner....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That's the one I want...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved