Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#295347 Fri Jan 06 2012 12:37 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have my Bennett 76 panels in the bodyshop and they are trying to chemical strip/acid etch the panels and it is not working well and they do not advise sandblasting them. They are recommending having new panels made which I will not do. They are not rusted bad no pitting or anything.

So what are my options? I am thinking maybe electrolasis or maybe sodabast?? I have never done the electrolasis thing but have heard good things about it. Any other ideas?

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
keithia #295351 Fri Jan 06 2012 01:04 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J

I have used a local service for chemical removal of paint for years and they have never had problems. They have cleaned up fenders that were covered in layers of tar and tree sap from years in the bush. No problems.

Soda blasting will take paint off, but will not remove more than light surface rust. You will have to use an etching primer as the surface profile from soda is not acceptable for non-etching primer.

Electrolysis is fine for removing rust but may require more than one application for removing paint (Take the part out, pressure wash and repeat). I use this for old tractor parts that are rusted together, works great.

You can use an aircraft paint stripper. 2-3 applications will take any paint off.

An experienced sand blaster should be able to do the panels without causing warping. I have never worked on a 76 but I would think they would be able to stand a blasting by an expert.

Has your body shop done restoration work in the past? This is the simplest step in the restoration process. If they cannot handle this I would be watching them closely.

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
keithia #295352 Fri Jan 06 2012 01:05 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
An experienced sandblaster can do a good job of taking them to bare metal without warping the panels. If you and the painter are afraid to use sand, have them sodablasted. Similar result, with lower risk of warpage, but usually at higher cost.

I used an experienced sandblaster to do my Bennett 766. $100 and he did an excellent job.

Johnnyleduc #295353 Fri Jan 06 2012 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good points! Any experienceds resto shop should have NO PROBLEM with this. I take all my pump panels to a man with 50 years experience in auto restoration, and he tank dips them for me and they come out spotless! I believe they are in the tank for over a week? Not sure on the time line.
If you search around for the local car guys, one of them should be able to give you the name of an experienced tank dip person! Good Luck!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
jackofalltrades #295354 Fri Jan 06 2012 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yea... as mentioned above ,sand blasting can be done w/ no warping issues ,i think it's 16 gauge steel that your panels are made of ,i blasted my w60 panels "similar" w/ 80 pounds of pressure with no problems or warping. If you have any comparable scrap lying around you could always test on that. Good luck, ~Chris

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #295356 Fri Jan 06 2012 02:13 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Basically no paint on these pieces and this bodyshop has done 5 to 6 pumps for me before with excellent results. They do not want to sandblast so I may try electolysis.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #295359 Fri Jan 06 2012 02:39 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
For light rust removal you could try a chemical. I have been told Corroseal works well but I have never tried it. For any thing heavier a mechincal cleaning will always be your best bet.

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
Johnnyleduc #295389 Fri Jan 06 2012 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Somebody was just talking about this the other day.
http://www.evaporust.com/index.html

JimT #295411 Fri Jan 06 2012 08:37 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
You say they do not want to sand blast. Have they ever sand blasted any for you in past. Take them some where else then back to them to paint. Sand blasting can be done in safe mannor as everyone else has said. You just can't sit on one spot as sand genarates heat. Walnut blasting does not genarate as much heat. Some guys are using charcoal. Dipping process is the real way to go . the epa closed the doors on a fellow who had tank here and I don't know of another. He use to drop whole race car chassis in tank,as we bought some Harry Gant chassis. Only draw back was it got inside framerails and was very hard to wash out.Later on when replacing front and rear stubs we relized we didn't get it all out. This would not be a problem with your doors.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Fri Jan 06 2012 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved