Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I had some auctions do well recently and thought the same thing.

However, I'd never post something like this out of respect for the buyer. What if he (or she) is on oldgas?

I agree with Dave about biting the hand that feeds... That said, congrats

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its the middle of the winter. Prices always seem to go up in the middle of the winter. - Something I've noticed over the years. Seems like in the middle of the summer a lot of people have other stuff they would rather do than go to an auction. Some times newer guys or a couple of people that are cashed up get a little overly enthusiastic-nothing new. Some people just like the stuff but dont make it a vocation to search for stuff @wholesale prices. They just like the stuff, have the money and buy it. I wish I could say every thing I've ever bought was at or below market value. Thats the price some of us have to pay for experience. You should know you cant go to a "NEW YEARS" auction and expect to get anything under the money.

A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
Last year at the same New Years auction, I cleaned up. It just seems to have changed so much, over the last year. Is it the "American Pickers" syndrome?

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
The last auction we had here (Ontario ) in Nov. 26th. went wild, stuff went out of the world,, but, everything was either mint or next to it..maybe that's the difference ?

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those signs are easy to find in that condition for $80.
All it takes at auction is a couple of bidders with money in their pockets and no patience to wait for a better deal, or they just aren't knowledgeable about what they are buying.
I've found that prices on petroliana at local auction are often higher than swap meet prices because the buyers just aren't familiar with the hobby.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thus my contention that price guides have little to no validity-ot at least little connection to reality. You could place the identical signs on ebay, possibly even at the same time, and they may draw no to low bids-or high bids-which way is the wind blowing today? Auctions (live or internet)are best suited as forms of entertainment and amazement rather then determiners of value. I remember when ebay was very young, I got almost 700.00 for a plastic Lion Oil lollipop thermometer. That amazed and entertained me quite well.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I feel the problem here is more people "think" they know what these items are "worth" from watching the tv shows. I can't tell you how many times people start talking to me in American picker terms....leave meat on the bone, bundle, flip you for it....I just laugh. In an auction setting, How can you expect to get a good price on items when you have a room full of people, phone bidders (fake or real), internet bidders going against you? I have gotten some great deals at auctions...,but that happens once in a blue moon. Now everyone thinks they are educated once they do a google search. Look at all the junk signs that show up on eBay and Craigslist at the prices of Mint signs. If people see their item on eBay at high start price ....they automatically think there sign is worth that. It amazes me how much the prices have jumped in the two years when I started getting into this hobby heavily. It's only a matter of time until the bubble bursts.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL
Next time your at an auction, tell the auctioneer You'd Rather Flip for an item!
Bet he will be ROTFLHisAO!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved