Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
My name is Greg McGann. I work for Quality Oil Company, Winston Salem NC. Im doing a bit more of our history for the reworking of our web site. An area of history that we do not have alot on, is the "Transport" end of the business. We have alot of old pictures of trucks and what not, but Im focusing on how the gasoline got from the coast of NC to the various stations.

We started our own trucking firm here in the 40's, so Im covered there, however some old timers here said in the very early days - fuel reached this area of NC by train. Any thoughts? We have been a Shell jobber in NC since 1929. Anyplace I can look for the early days of gas transport, Ive been all over the web but haven't succeeded yet.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Good morning Greg , I have some pictures being developed now that will help you , the very first filling stations were where the old delivery stables were , tran-tank cars brought fuel in to that point , the tanks at the stables were high on a mound and gravity fad to were they could put it in the carts , if there was an other depot at the other end of town they transported it buy horse an wagon , they also used horse and wagon to haul oil from the wells ponds to the refineries un til they came up with a pumping system that would pump crude oil which was very thick , but i have pictures of some of this , hope this helps you for now ,

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Greg -

I've e-mailed you some notes (based on my recollections from growing up in a TEXACO bulk plant) which might be of help.

- Jim

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved