Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#297565 Sun Jan 15 2012 12:18 PM
B
boxer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ebay item # 140679634473 Is this real or a fake?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paper labels glued to a Pickle/Mayo jar, IMO.
REDNECK OIL JAR!

B
boxer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thats what I thought too. I had never seen these before until yesterday. I watched a set of six and a carrier sell for over 200 at an auction. The auction was 99% gas and oil so the bidders I thought were pretty knowledgable. I guess anything is worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Auction ended tonight, sold for $58.00 + 5.99 shipping = $63.99

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
B
boxer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yeah, I watched it end too. I guess the guy at the auction did all right on his after all. There was or maybe still is a refinery in Lima Ohio on those street corners listed on the label. Interesting.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
these (and the terrible Hudson fakes) have been discussed on Oldgas before...'what people are willing to pay' is directly related to whether or not those people are under the impression that the item in question is authentic...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Boxer,
How many would you like @ 1/2 of what that one sold for? I'll get the wife to start buying Pickles in that size! smile smile

B
boxer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Nothing like feeling welcomed. I was curious as to what it was and why it was a fake. So far I've got nothing but its a pickle jar, stupid. I searched the web and did see that they had war jars that did look like pickle jars. That's what made me curious. Sorry to waste your time.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Yep, these are 100% fake. There is a guy that sells them at the Chicagoland Coin Op show along with other fake stuff. He doesn't specifically say they are real, but he doesn't say they are fake either.

The other thing I see is people seem to eager to buy to look at them closely or ask questions. And the price is just on the cusp of expensive for fake, or a very good deal if they were real.

Just down the row you can find the person selling the fake Fordson Tractor Signs, the fake Bunny Bread door pushes, and the fake 1973 DeKalb seed signs as "NOS"

He also sells Harley and Indian motorcycle posters that eager buyers think are real as they were "recovered from a fire"

Collector of Illinois Oil Company, Iowa Oil Company, Round Outboard Motor Oil Quarts, St. Louis Gas Pumps, Double Cola, and anything else awesome.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey, you asked "Is this real or a fake?"
Yes they did use Glass jars during WW2, but jars Didn't look like Pickle/Mayo jars. Lids were printed, labels wrapped all the way around jar.

No Ones REPLY mentioned the "S" word.

Online Cool
Please don't take it personal, boxer. Items like this have fooled many. That is why it is so valuable to discuss the situation and get opinions from several people.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Boxer,that's just db,our resident grouchy old expert.but once you get to know him a bit,you'll learn that his bark is worse than his bite!and he does know his stuff !he's like that with everybody!enjoy the site,and welcome to Oldgas!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is my Johnson Oil 1 qt glass container, it of course does not have a paper label..... It is hard to know at times if an item is original or an original fake...

Most if not all glass containers that were used as 1 qt motor oil containers, I have found, have some characteristic items in common. Such as the embossed, fill to line as you can see on this container..... It is true that some of the glass containers did have paper labels just as did some handy oilers and some oil cans.... So learn all you can. If possible, find an experienced Collector and visit them... The best way to learn is too hold original items in one hand and a fake in the other.... The differences most of the time (90%+) will jump out at one....

My bottom line is; if in doubt walk away... At times I miss out on an original item, but I also never get an original fake in my collection....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unless Bob Knowingly buys it from Me!
I'm saving up for Mick [oldnfuelish] when I have to order FAKE TEETH! frown SOON

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Jan 20 2012 08:27 PM.
B
boxer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the info and image guys. Thats what I was looking for. I guess I will just have to learn to deal with the "grouchy old expert". No hard feelings Dick. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved