Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its amazing how one sign can generate all this interest. Its a great rare sign, but sometimes the "hype" over something gets everyone in a tizzy. I am curious to see how all this plays out too. Very interesting.......Or like the above post, "As the world turns"........LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is a great example of where a 10 day auction is not always good. If it were my sign, I would be perfectly happy to sell at $26100 (today's high bid) but would be disappointed to think it had reached a high of 36000. I think all the drama of the lawsuit and the added information has, as one post stated, tainted the auction.

Jamie Crosson
Originally Posted By: Jamie Crosson
I think all the drama of the lawsuit and the added information has, as one post stated, tainted the auction.

I think that was a poor decision to air the drama.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Notice that two of the three retracting bidders (27.5K and 40K, I believe) have a history of retracting bids. One has retracted 9 bids and the other 25 bids in the last 6 months. To me, this indicates, not collusion, but people "playing". How many of those other bids (not retracted) at lower money were people doing the same thing, knowing the price would rise above the amount they bid. I have been on ebay since 1997 and have never retracted a bid. I have put an entry level bid in on an item that I knew I wasn't going to win in order to see who won it once ebay started changing years ago. Other than that, this is not a game, it is commerce. I agree about airing the drama-it may have made a serious bidder skittish.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know that I would judge this seller dishonest. I speak from experience that 10 day auctions are a bad idea. Gives people time to reconsider and get cold feet. I sold a high end car on ebay in a 10 day and it turned into a nightmare, people trying to get me to close the auction, retracting bids when I wouldn't. Don't know Suzi at all but I just don't see the any proof that she's doing anything but selling a sign her dad had. I think the dishonest sellers on ebay make everyone jumpy these days.

While certainly suspicious, retracted bids are not always shilling. There are bidders who play around or change their mind. A serious bidder who is spooked by how this is playing out may get cold feet.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
The retracted bids could be a scheme thought up by a buyer doing the old "bump it up then cut it back" scenario that creates a certain uncertainty regarding the sign - therefore making people think twice before bidding on it, period. I feel sorry for the seller.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a couple more retracts & the sign will be down to where it should be- the smart one is the proprietor of the other one- this is like watching the stock market..

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The whole story may never come out! HANKEY-PANKEY

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Retracts:
it takes 5 days before you relize you-
ENTERED WRONG BID AMOUNT?

Do you think this will finish for more or less
than it is right now 26,100. with 1 day left?

Last edited by advertologist; Mon Jan 16 2012 11:42 AM.

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I BELIEVE IT WILL BUMP THE 30k mark

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see a Second Chance Offer in the future, and not because of the seller's actions.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I don't get the PUBLIC accusations/slander against the seller. Although one guy threatened a lawsuit (maybe he should put the lawyer expenses into the bid amount instead) and two bidders retracted their bids (that have quite a history of retractions), "she" has done absolutely nothing to warrant the negative remarks against her.

Last edited by bppierce; Mon Jan 16 2012 02:44 PM. Reason: Why can't I catch the misspells before I post?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mozilla Firefox has automatic Spell Check & it's FREE.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Does it catch missing the "e" in "one"?

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved