Next Thread
Print Thread
#29932 Wed Jan 29 2003 08:54 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Just out of curiosity I've noticed in the past few weeks here in western Illinois that Clark stations are closing, and two of them just went thru new image branding and expensive updates with the red-white-and blue colors etc. Mobil must be withdrawing too because they are becoming Phillips 66 like they did back in the late 80's or so. Seems like Wareco is picking up Phillips 66 and they have double branding at a number of stations.....Changing times!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#29933 Wed Jan 29 2003 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Clark has pulled out of north eastern Illinois too. The stations had been upgraded several years ago. Locally they changed to T.D. Pete's Citgo. My son goes to EIU and they still have a Clark/Wareco station there.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#29934 Wed Jan 29 2003 10:13 AM
Z
Z
Actually what happened is Clark bought Wareco a few years back. That is when they re-imaged all the stations. A month or so ago they started selling them off. They got WAY over extended financially and are in trouble. Another one might be slipping into history.

#29935 Wed Jan 29 2003 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Clark re-imaged their stations around here back in the early-mid 90's. It's been quite awhile.

Wareco has had dual brand stations for over 50 years. Clark may have bought them, but there are still Wareco/Phillips66 and Wareco/Coastal stations as well as Wareco/Clark. I've seen them all while traveling in past few months.

Mobil has been gone around here since the late 70's. I've seen some in northern Illinois though. All we have locally is Citgo (two different jobbers), Shell (two different jobbers),BP-Amoco, Phillips 66, and Speedway. We just lost Clark. Union pulled out in the late 80's. Conoco, Mobil, Texaco all pulled out in the late 70's or early 80's.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#29936 Fri Jan 31 2003 09:42 PM
B
B
All of the Clark stations in Northeast Ohio changed to Marathon. I have seen some Clarks rebranded to Ashland. Most of the Marathons in former Clark locations in that area have since closed. I have seen one Clark in Columbus, and so far, it's going strong as a Clark. Several clarks in Warren and Youngstown, Ohio closed in the 80's. Most of these were in less than desireable areas. When I was working as an installer for a now defunct satellite dish provider, I had occasion to travel to Findlay, Ohio. As of 1998, the couple of Clarks in western, Ohio were operating as Clark after the change to Marathon where I'm originally from.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved