Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#298662 Fri Jan 20 2012 08:36 AM
M
Mumtaz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi! I'm a newbie here. smile I'm actually a model horse collector rather than a petroliana collector, but I have a piece that falls into both categories, and I was hoping someone here might know something about it.

A little background info---in 1984, the Breyer company (which has been producing horse, farm, and wildlife animal figures since 1950) released a pegasus model. Rumors have swirled since then of red pegasus models (picture below) that were supposedly a special order, small production run for the Mobil company. No evidence of such a run has ever turned up, though a few models have been spotted on eBay and elsewhere. I finally acquired one and discovered that it is not a factory original paintjob but rather an after market custom paintjob.

It is nicely airbrushed, and the paint has a faint metallic luster which reminds me of the stuff used on model cars. Because at least a half dozen of these models have been spotted over the years, and all of them look the same, I'm thinking maybe they were painted as a promotion for a particular gas station by an enterprising employee or maybe by a Mobil collector for an event or something.

I know it's a longshot, but if anyone knows about these models, I thought you guys would be the ones to ask. Any light you can shed would be most appreciated! laugh

Here's a picture of the piece. The wings are removable. It stands about 7 inches tall at the ears.

http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/images/collection/Breyers/MiscRarities/custom_red_pegasus1.jpg

Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
While I am familliar with Brio and Breyer , I've never seen this . certainly looks like a "keeper " though............ Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The PEGASUS has been a Mythical figure long before MOBIL started using it. Your PEGASUS doesn't fallow the same design as the one MOBIL uses [head, wings, tail & legs positions], for this reason I don't believe it was used/ordered by MOBIL. MOBIL's use of their PEGASUS has stayed the same on Signs, Cans, Maps, Globes, Ash Trays, Match Books, etc.

M
Mumtaz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks, Ed and Dick! I didn't think it was an official Mobil order either. My guess is that it was someone's local promotion of some variety, and I may never be able to track down its origin, but it's fun to try. smile

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved