Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
We are new to this forum and old gas pumps so forgive me if these questions have already been asked and answered.
I have an Erie 129-22 that I got for my husband several years ago and it has been stored in my horse barn. He finally has a garage and I would like to have this pump fixed up and repainted. It is presently (and probably always was) Gulf. I was hoping someone could help me find the answers I need to do this project.

What companies used this model pump besides Gulf (if any)? Would it be wrong to paint it in another gas company's color scheme if it appears that this particular one was only used for GOC?

Can I get a color code for the Orange and Blue and white paints used by GOC

I also will need a few parts if anyone knows where to get them.
I believe one of the chrome pieces around the Site glass(if that is what that glass bubble is) is broken or missing. This is not a crucial piece as that side can go against the wall.

The glass (and perhaps gaskets) is missing on both "windows".

The reset crank is missing on the opposite side of the pump from the hose/pump handle.
A new piece of hose would be nice too, and I thought I could use a shorter piece than the original as it is just for decoration.

I believe there is a rectangular plate (perhaps about lead) missing from just under where the crank goes.

It may have had chrome pieces that went down the sides of each corner as there are holes that indicate something was attached. I was told I could fill the holes and just paint it.

I would also need the appropriate "decals" for this pump.

I do not know what else is needed or should/should not be done as I am brand new to this type of thing. I have a friend who does automotive restoration and has graciously agreed to do the "body work" and painting if I need him to. (He is partial to PPG paints) I was hoping to complete this project before my husbands birthday in March. If I learn how to post pictures to this forum I will edit this post
Thanks......Jay's wife (Cheryl)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi- I would love that for a birthday present.Others will chime in but I will give my opinion on one of you queries- if I wasnt able to locate the stainless (not chrome) corner trim, I would have some bent. IMO that is part of what makes this pump cool. I believe they are not two sides bent at 90degrees, rather three sided, with two 45degree bends, if that makes any sense to you. Does your pump have a stainless top?
Here is a link to get an idea of how the corners have that 45 degree thing going on. The pump is all painted so its hard to tell that there are stainless trim pieces on it.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post298093

Last edited by JimT; Fri Feb 03 2012 05:08 AM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your pump is shown on page 142 of my Gas Pump Identification book, and it is also shown on this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/erie%20129.htm

Your pump was specifically made for the Gulf Oil Corp. When it got old and was removed from the Gulf Station it was sold as a used pump and may have been used at any station. These Gulf pumps were probably designed by Gulf, and many companies made similiar pumps for Gulf, Tokehim, Wayne, and Southwest made Gulf pumps.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I make the stainless corners. Give me a call.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you for the replies.
I think I've learned how to add pictures. Hopefully they will load.
Our pump resembles the one in JimT's link, but without a globe mount. The one in Jack's link has the bulb sight glass below the window, ours is above.
I think the paint on ours would have originally been orange with the dark blue band at the base before the white-wash was done. The inside of the doors are all faded orange (original?)
I guess getting Jack's book would fill me in on the history as well as when the pump dates back to.
Ron, expect a call re: corner trim.

Cheryl

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved