Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#302703 Sun Feb 05 2012 11:39 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am trying to be REALLY careful and remove a perfect Blue Glass cylinder from a pump I just purchased to go into my Wayne 711. I have read the previous post cited below and understand all the pitfalls; but can anyone give some good advise on trying to un-screw the rod bolts. I know your suppose to go real slow 1/4 turn at a time in a pattern. but the rod bolts are so rusted I am afraid they will just break off. I have used penetrating lubricant, but still will not budge. I am afraid to heat them up with a torch due to the drastic change in temperature. Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=213707

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Using an Eye Dropper give each one a drop or 2 of Muritic Acid, might take a few days to dissolve the rust.
Haste makes Waste & might cost more in the long run [buying another cylinder].

T
TC Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Use a zip cut in a grinder and cut them off, cut one and then the opposite one, easier to make new rods then fool with the old.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He is trying to save Cyl., as stated the rods are Rusty.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Have had the same problem. Depends on how thick the metal is below the top where the cylinder is. Have used oil, and heat of all kinds. Slow way is always the best, and have used simple propane torches also that heat the nut just a bit and allow for hardly any transfer of heat to top of metal head. Even a pinpoint acced. torch that pinpoints the heat has also worked. Just do not point down on the heat, just sideways on the nut.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback so far; the pump I'm taking the cylinder out of is a Wayne 665 to give you an idea of the size of the rods, nuts, and metal cap that is on the top of the cylinder.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved