Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#301728 Wed Feb 01 2012 01:23 PM
B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I Jacks Sim book on page 65 and 66 i see a bennett 646b COMPUTING and a 647b NON COMPUTING pump. My pump came without an id tag so please explain the difference between computing and non computing. Thank you

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Computing will measure the gallons and automatically compute the price of the purchase by multiplying the gallons of gas or fuel used and the price per gallon together.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
A non-computing shows only gallon counts. They were used at private refueling sites like a trucking company's garage, a construction site or a farm. since no one is buying the fuel there is no point in having a sale display, but gallon count may still be important for inventory reasons. These non-computing pumps are the only place you might find a pump with a mechanical display in these days.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
most clockface pumps are non computing pumps

B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
thanks for the education, now i get it.

A member sent us an inquiry for our Winter newsletter asking about the lack of a sale price on this pump. By the looks of what everyone is saying, this would be an example of a non-computing pump, correct?

I'm pretty new to all this. What's the point of the cents per gallon? Maybe just for record keeping? Would it be common to have so much branding on a pump not used by the public?

Pump by twhynott, on Flickr

Terry
-------
Editor, CSSMA's The Garage Door News
http://thegaragedoornews.wordpress.com
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Whenever I sell a book over the phone, I always, jokenly, tell the buyer my book is not a Playboy, you don't go to the pictures first.

There is a lot of good Gas Pump informaiton in the front of the book, including a Glossary of terms used in the book. I didn't put those exact terms in the book (should have) but I did describe what a non-measuring pump was, same as a non-computer.

One more thing, from the late 20s thru around 1933 we had clock face pumps, most pump companies called them clock pumps. After the Veeder-Root computer was introduced, they continued to make clock face pumps, they just changed the name to non-computers.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That Texaco pump has extra branding on it. FireChief and SkyChief would not have been on the same pump. They are two different grades of gasoline. The round Texaco sign at the bottom of the door appears to be only leaning up against the pump.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved