Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The only other one I've seen like it was sold on eBay.
It is exactly the same as the one in question, has been beat to death and was sold by someone who has a large inventory of obviously authentic signs.
Making a blanket statement "it's fake" without something more doesn't make it fake. Saying something three times does not make it true.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
2curios has been selling repros along with originals for way too long and it's always the same BS, They know EXACTLY what they have, they are hoping the buyers don't.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
And they always list repros carefully.
A thought: if you're correct on this one and others, you are doing the hobby a service. If you are wrong or guessing without in person examination or some other source for your opinion, you are damaging the reputation of a seller AND decreasing the future value of an item that someone may already own.
One would think some circumspection would be in order.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Steve - you're just wrong. They're not 'exactly the same' AT ALL...look at the photos...the 'beat to death' sign you cite (actual photo from the auction number you listed, shown at the bottom of this post) IS an original...once again:

FAKE

ORIGINAL

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Feb 22 2012 07:51 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
OK. I can see the difference there, but what make the one at the top of this post a repro?
the fact that you've never seen one?
why aren't there hundreds of them out there (like Elephant Kerosene or Socony aircraft)?
Who made them?
Does anyone have a source other than opinion?
Would the shelving make a difference?
the dimensions?
Could they be regionally made and not made by Gulf?
Could it be a manufacturing variation - a reorder and a short run?
Or is this site the last word because several people have voted that it is a fake. Said it three or more times. Must be true.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Buy one of them and enjoy it, You have got info from collectors who know their ***** and who have been collecting REAL signs for longer than these repro pieces of ***** have been around. If you don't believe it that's your problem. some of us Appreciate REAL signs, and KNOW what we're talking about, some like that cheap fake *****.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Steve

There are many variations in the two signs. They may look the same to certain people but there are noticeable differences. It is true that some signs have variations. Some of the same versions of signs were made by different sign makers. I have two Firestone signs that are the same signs made by different sign makers and the are almost identical. One thing I have learned is consistency is in most of these early signs. Professional sign makers made these signs back in the day and they did a great Job in the department of consistency. IMO the top gulf signs looks computer generated. I am by no means an expert in this hobby, I am prob one of the youngest guys on here. I believe something is not right with the top gulf sign.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you, KZ1000 for your rude observation. I wish I'd had you on a jury during the 3 1/2 decades I served as a public prosecutor. It doesn't seem to take much to convince you.
I don't collect reproduction items, never have, so I am not one who likes "cheap fake ****" as you say.
And I've been collecting long before anyone ever reproduced a sign, globe or thermometer - probably longer than you have, frankly.
The only thing I still don't get is how you can be so self-righteously sure from a photo without any further proof.
Yes, this sign is different from the other Gulf Supreme signs that are commonly seen, but that fact alone, and it's my supposition that is the only thing upon which you rely, begs the question at hand. As shown, the sign does have chips, some rust stains, evidence of having been mounted, very heavy shelving and the point is well taken that no one has ever seen more of them as is certainly the case with re-pops and fantasy pieces. People will read these types of postings in the future so one would hope that accuracy and some back-up evidence might be required before the blanket "it's a fake" statement is made forever and for all time.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
tired sleep

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Have to admit that I enjoy these type discussions immensely. Like most, I hate repops and all my flea-mkt friends hate repops and dont care for those making repops (also dont like outsourcing to 3rd world co. - but that is another topic for elsewhere). Once I see anyone that sells one I stay away. Just gotta look at old posts on here to see the exposures. Story - my buddy had a nice rare item on eBay for sale in excellent condition (big $ item -rare as heck). So for fun I sent him an email and in the subject hinted to him that it was a fake. I almost gave him a heart attack! - LOL. All about credibility. That was all in good fun me knowing it was not as he is an expert like others on this site. People love this old collectible stuff (including me) and take this very seriously for all the stated reasons and it becomes emotive at times. Nothing personal. Story - There was a lady couple yrs ago at local flea mkt which we frequent and she was selling tin phone signs for $35 that she bought at Marcs for $.99 and was laughing about it and having a great time of it. She had a whole stack of these things and would sell one then go put out another one. Well some dude bought one and later on found out about the story and went back and made a bad scene. She stopped setting up at that local flea mkt as the owner found out about the ruckus and asked her to not return. It is about credibility, karma,...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know how to settle this. I will purchase one and hang it on a building behind my house. If it disappears...it is real...if it remains...it is fake. LOL Like the Salem Witch Trials...you can't win. LOL
When in doubt...WALK.
Reproductions are getting "better"...take that for what it is worth.
Shake hands and lets have a beer...It is all in fun.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think this subject deserves a more reasoned discussion,supported by several examples of unquestioned real signs that demonstrate the differences in the signs as they change over time.Keep an eye on the General Pertoliana Disussion Forum;it's coming up.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think that is a good idea, Spell out all the minor details that seperate a repop from the original and the Repop guys will take all that info we give them and make their junk even better. You can bet they are monitoring this site.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I agree with Rick. I am sure they are watching.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Now that is nearly Orwellian - "Big Bongo" is watching.. LOL -- sorry - i agree with you guys too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved