Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W

Jamie, what is wrong with the advertising of this repro sign ? ( all the way to the bottom )and what is wrong with $150 for a repro sign thats likely worth $1500-$2000 ?
"The sign is heavy porcelain and has been reproduced utilizing the same process that popularized porcelain signs back in the early 1900′s. The colors are not paints but finely ground glass crystals which, when fired at 1350 degrees fahrenheit, fuse to the heavy steel plate. Each color is applied separately creating a durable, rust resistant sign. Each corner has brass grommets.$ 30.00 "

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wes,

I don't have a problem with RJ's selling this sign for $30 (however, I wish it was marked). My concern is once the sign changes hands a few times an unmarked $30 reproduction sign ends up in an auction with a lot of high end original signs being sold for $190 +17.5% buyers premium, and 7.5% sales tax (to a buyer who probably thinks it's an original).

The only reason why this stuff sells for this kind of money is because there are buyers that will lay down cash for it. If those buyers begin to leave the hobby because they get tired of trying to figure out what is an original and what is fake the value of all of this stuff will drop significantly.

It has happened in the 70's to Model A's, to Confederate civil war artifacts, and it has happened already in our hobby to globes (which I for one will not buy).

Jamie

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I think your worrying to much Jamie,,, relax, it will all work out and be OK, it's been going on for years,,, nothing new here.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
LOL...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some just don't get it, Makes you wonder if they are silent partners in the reproduction market.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
you see what I mean, that remark is exactly what I'm talking about,,, childish,,,most on here get it,,, it went right by you,,, sorry for that.

Wes.......
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Sigh

Decorators vs. Collectors

I know what side I'm on... My advice to anyone reading this forum is to save up your $$ and buy original stuff. Eventually, you'll be glad you did.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
bIGBOGA, 1st off welcome to Oldgas,2nd you have every right to buy what you want. I hope this thread don't run you off,you have to agree you somewhat asked for it.
You said you had been looking for orginal for years,then sent feed back that this one was what you wanted. So enjoy it you settled for less than what you really wanted. You was honest enough to say it wasn't orginal here,do us all a favor and mark it as india sign so the next guy don't mud the hobby up.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am new to the hobby and appreciate all and any advice received on this site. Especially the Online Auction forum where signs are disclosed as fakes. I have been burnt already and now have a better understanding of what to look for and who to trust. Thank you to everyone on this site who has outed fakes and scammers who sell on Ebay.

Jamie P

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Funny how some poeples outlook change from when this post was made.
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=304544#Post304544

If you don't think repops hurt the hobby check out the above link. Killed the value!

I understand this forum was built for the hobbyist and to share finds and share knowledge. Reproduction junk is an issue and always will be an issue from here on out! People on oldgas want to share about reproduction they should keep everyone up to date on this junk. Us that collect original items will always have the same feelings towards reproductions.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
John, I never once said that this site should not discuss whether or not stuff is original or reproduction,my bone of contention was that we/members on this site should NOT bad mouth the sellers and call them names and run them down, it is still a FREE country, this was also the opinion of and put on here by the Moderators of OLDGAS.COM

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't have a problem with marked repops.I'll use marked pop plates and globes on my outdoor pumps any day before I'll put the real stuff out there.

However,I do have a real problem with unmarked pops because they limit the pieces available to me to collect.Maybe it's just me,but I'll get something else before I'll put myself in the position of having to say"but mine is real".Been there,done that with my Esso kerosene (India?) so I'll just avoid the situation in the future when I can.

As to sellers,I'll just say that the only time I swore at someone on here was over unmarked pops.It didn't do any good and I don't do that any more.I'll leave it at that.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes you say the repros don't hurt the originals, but you yourself also said you would not buy the white rose globe unless you knew where it had been for the last twenty years. Why is that it's because unmarked repros have hurt the original.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #305696 Sat Feb 18 2012 11:07 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy the originals if I knew where they came from ,if Kim ( minuteman) was selling them I wouldn't have any problem at all buying them from him. No different than any other collectible,,as long as you know where it came from. I have sold and bought and still have originals that someone has reproduced and they still bring top dollar.Reproduction items make it more difficult to buy, sell and trade but that doesn't mean we stop dealing in them. Education, thats what it's all about in collecting today,,read, listen and learn,, it's no longer a no brainer in buying and selling, just like any other market.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe everyone agrees we need DATED signs and globe for gas pump restorations. I wouldn't put orginals outside anymore.
Question Here.... Why is an answer of "people need to get educated before they buy" a good answer? I know my parents like to go to auctions and buy Coke and gas stuff and they don't want to spend years becoming an expert. They got burned on one sign and stopped buying.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved