Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30665 Thu Jun 17 2004 03:48 AM
OP Offline
Hello,

Although i am new to this forum, and the gas pump hobby, i have been restoring cars for over 20 years now. I am restoring a bennett model 1066, and the sight glass has been moved to one side of the pump. My question is, what goes in the openings where the sightglasses used to be in the doors? Does someone make a reproduction "medallion" for these openings, or a lense of some type?

Thanks in advance

John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#30666 Thu Jun 17 2004 06:55 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Their is repro sight glass trim and sight glasses.
The three piece trim which has a ring and two "spears" is around $50 for those three pieces-it also requires a round piece of flat glass in the center(dont know price).
the trim looks roughly like this
-O-
It look just like the 966 trim except the 1066 ring is bigger in diameter
An actual sight glass that would protrude through the sight trim is $20 for glass and 10 for plastic.

Visit the links on this sight for restoration supplies!
Mark

#30667 Thu Jun 17 2004 09:36 AM
OP Offline
The actual sight glass is now on the side of the pump, but the openings in the door are still there. I believe i was told this pump may have been refitted where two sightglasses (front and rear) were actually replaced with just the one on the side now. What fills the openings in the door, the 2" or so hole that the existing trim still surrounds? I guess maybe just the flat piece of glass? Is that piece available from a vendor, or is that something i would want to have cut from a glass shop?

John

[This message has been edited by 3shields (edited 06-17-2004).]

#30668 Thu Jun 17 2004 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey John,
the 1066 is IIRC the last of that design of the pump, and the ad glass was moved to the side. The holes where it used to be was "filled" with an emblem showing either a Bennett logotype or one depending on what brand of gas that was pumped. In PCM's book "Guide to gas pump restoration" six (confirmed) versions are shown, but it is mentioned that there wer probably others. The ones show are Amerian Gas (red dot), AMOCO, Chevron (hallmark), Cities Service, Mobil (small pegasus and flat "V" logo and the Phillips 66 shield. I think I found this picture on Chevrons home page on the history pages.
hope this helps,
Claes

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 06-17-2004).]

#30669 Thu Jun 17 2004 11:50 AM
OP Offline
Thanks so much.... I guess my next question is, does anyone reproduce these emblems, or do i need to fabricate my own. Also, would it be a translucent type emblem that would allow light from inside to shine thru? Would be a nice affect. I am not trying to restore this pump to factory specs, in fact, i am finishing it as a sunoco pump, which i have read, never used bennetts of this era, but i would like to know how it was intended to appear.

Thanks again

John

#30670 Fri Jun 18 2004 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
3shields:

I don't know of anyone reproducing these small glass lenses. If you need to have custom pieces made - contact me and I can make some up for you. Just click on the little 'envelope' emblem at tht top of my post. It'll give you my e-mail address. Or contact me thru the web site listed below.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 06-18-2004).]

#30671 Sat Jun 19 2004 07:07 AM
M
MM Offline
M
Hi there, I am restoring my first peump also and its a 1066. I'm almost done (just got the tins back from the body shop yesterday). If you have any questions let me know as I have learned a lot about this pump. This pump isn't really popular yet so finding parts has been a bit of a challenge but it can be done. Its taken over a year so far but the end is in sight. I would recommend contacting one of the various places that sells pump resto parts. I bought a parts book for the pump, it has been invalulable in restoring this baby...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved