Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#309081 Fri Mar 02 2012 03:48 PM
D
Docdup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I just started work on a Wayne Model 83 pump that I recently purchased. It was solid red with no markings when I bought it. When I stripped the first coat of paint on the skins, I found Gilmore markings. Under the second coat, I found Shell markings that looked to be very old. There was nothing under the Shell colors. Is it possible that these Shell markings are original to this pump? I don't know the history of the pump other than the last thirty years is has been sitting in a garage. If the Shell colors are original, I think that it would be great to restore the pump in those colors. Did Shell use the Wayne Model 83 pump?

Thanks,

Doc

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WAYNE bought out/into The BOYLE DAYTON Company before 1928 to have a West Coast Manufacturing plant. ALL oil companies on the West Coast used B.D. & Wayne/BD pumps @ one time or another along w/ other companies pumps. It's not unusual to see in old pictures stations w/ 3-6 Different pumps in use, not to mention all the independent stations that sold gas/oil/products from many different oil companies.

Select the company that makes YOU HAPPY, buy Decals/Signage/Globe, then have paint Mixed to Match. You'll be happier w/ results.

D
Docdup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, that's good advice. I guess I need to learn to get over my obsession with originality from years doing vintage cars and motorcycles. Life is a lot more fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Doc

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Doc that is why I quit restoring Model A's. For the most part there are no pump police. But I warn you they are like rabbits and keep reproducing. Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved