Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#309490 - Sun Mar 04 2012 04:31 PM Hood Tire Licencne plate Attachment
HI-OCTANE Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Albuquerque, N. M.
I was wondering if this was real or a knock-off ? If it is real, some one got a hell of a deal. Any thoughts on this please ? 220963389375

And did they make any other counter fit gas & oil license plate toppers ?

#309492 - Sun Mar 04 2012 04:38 PM Re: Hood Tire Licencne plate Attachment [Re: HI-OCTANE]
57tbirdkid Offline
TBA Feature Host

Loc: NY
This is one area of the hobby I steer clear of. Many many fake toppers out there.

#309493 - Sun Mar 04 2012 04:39 PM Re: Hood Tire Licencne plate Attachment [Re: HI-OCTANE]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
the one's I have are 2 sided & a little different?

Attachments
IMG_0257[1].JPG

#309495 - Sun Mar 04 2012 04:41 PM Re: Hood Tire Licencne plate Attachment [Re: advertologist]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
picture of one of subject-
Notice top picture- he's wearing a tie-
Picture of subject- he's wearing a bowtie-
also flags a different..

Attachments
hoodlictop.jpg

Edited by advertologist (Sun Mar 04 2012 04:47 PM)

#309500 - Sun Mar 04 2012 05:29 PM Re: Hood Tire Licencne plate Attachment [Re: advertologist]
HI-OCTANE Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Albuquerque, N. M.
The one that is pictured with the bow tie, Is also in Dan Matthews Fine Art Of collecting Petroliana on page 31. And also on Scott Benjamin web sight gasglobes.com

#309504 - Sun Mar 04 2012 05:48 PM Re: Hood Tire Licencne plate Attachment [Re: HI-OCTANE]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
The back of the topper screams repop to me. The front is weathered, but a back that is pristine with no marks what-so-ever is wrong, IMO, based on all the other toppers I have owned......

Every topper I have owned, the backs looked even worse than the fronts as the backs were facing the roadway.... Any gravel thrown up towards the car by other vehicles would/did hit the back of the topper.

The toppers like the signs, can either have a bow-tie or a regular necktie. If I'm not mistaken (and I am all too often) and remember correctly, the "older" signs have the bow-tie and the "newer" signs have the regular necktie.....

#321185 - Mon Apr 23 2012 10:05 PM Re: Hood Tire Licencne plate Attachment [Re: advertologist]
bagged1961 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Indiana
I have this topper and mine is 2 sided as well. Don't know if that helps in determining the authenticity of the one in question.

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved