Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31081 Thu Jun 28 2007 01:35 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Need help from the experts. I have a fairly advanced collection of sample kits. Last weekend I had some folks looking at "my stuff" and they asked all about the kits. I realized I do not know much about them.They range in size from pocket sized to small suitcase sized. Who peddled the merchandise?
Whom did they call on? Did they leave specific sample bottles to perspective customers? Were some of the kits, like the Archer kits which are common, promotional or presentation kits? Would appreciate any info.
Jon

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#31082 Thu Jun 28 2007 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Often (at least in Texaco's case) the Salesmen were often from the corporate office and took the samples around to show Bulk Plant owners and independent Texaco station owners the various products and try to get them to buy. I have talked to "old timer" station owners, jobbers, consignees, etc and they said that some of t hose salesmen could talk the earls off a rabbit and were quite persuasive and high pressure. Different classes of dealers, owners, consignees, etc, had different arrangements. Some had to buy outright, some had the products placed by Texaco and paid as they went etc. In some stations, the majority of the profit was made on repairs and services. Kind of like today's convenience stores. There is more profit for the owner on the soda sold than on the gasoline. In the town I grew up in, one of the Texaco dealers switched to Mobil becasue he got into an arguement with Texaco about the type of tires he wanted to sell. Would appreeciate hearing from others and their point of view.

Alex

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#31083 Thu Jun 28 2007 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats one for Professor Bennett. I know that he has a few sample bottles around.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved