Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I want to make the most of the trip to Mason Dixon, what other events are going on in the area that are related to Gas, oil & cars etc? I just don't want to miss anything.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
There is a great AACA parts swap meet about 30 miniutes from the show on the same day. It's a good show but it's always the same day as ours. PM me if you want the info.

Shoot wish I had seen this earlier. I need to locate a few lubesters to restore.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All loaded and headed out in the morning. Might even get set up before 9 pm. That would be a first. We will see if it happens.

M
M
I just got home from co-hosting this years show and it was a great one. Vendor count was down a little, but foot traffic was steady. The vendors I talked to were happy with their sales

As vendors were packing up to leave, CircaDesign & I couldn't help but notice the "butt load" of money that Gulfiend was carrying out the door!!!

Thanks to all the vendors and participants who make this show one of the best. What a great way to start off the collecting year.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I'd like to thank the hosts and the vendors for putting on another fine show. As this one is so close, I get to enjoy it every year. Thanks again.

Ed

Ed
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Question for those familiar with the MD show, what's the turnout like?

Also, what's the percentage of vendor/serious collector vs general public would you say?

I made it up there today. It was good. It's about an hour drive for me, so no big deal driving, but for me I wouldn't drive a few hours for it. I was surprised how many people were packing up by 11:30. When I was there, there were maybe 4 or 5 set up outside.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...well, I had a GREAT time, but I'm unsure what 'butt-load' Mike is referring to - maybe he spent too much time next to the heater exhaust, and was seeing things... wink

...regarding halehouse's comments: if you got there at 7AM when the indoor vending area opened up, that would give you 4 1/2 hours to walk around the show before people were 'packing up'...plenty of time on a Saturday to shop...after the show you could go next door to an advertising auction that had lots of stuff...not sure where you could drive in 'about an hour' from Springfield to find such a large assortment of gas and oil stuff for sale, but I guess there's no pleasing some people...I've been driving 6 hours one-way to that show every year for 16 years now, and have never once regretted the trip...seeing the many friends I have made at that show is worth the trip alone...and everyone I talked to at the show had a blast...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Thanks to the promoters for another awesome M-D show, had a good time as usual.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!

...regarding halehouse's comments: if you got there at 7AM when the indoor vending area opened up, that would give you 4 1/2 hours to walk around the show before people were 'packing up'...plenty of time on a Saturday to shop...after the show you could go next door to an advertising auction that had lots of stuff...not sure where you could drive in 'about an hour' from Springfield to find such a large assortment of gas and oil stuff for sale, but I guess there's no pleasing some people...I've been driving 6 hours one-way to that show every year for 16 years now, and have never once regretted the trip...seeing the many friends I have made at that show is worth the trip alone...and everyone I talked to at the show had a blast...

Sorry. I didn't mean anything negative by what I wrote. I think my comments were misinterpreted judging by the "there's no pleasing some people" statement. Let me explain. I said it was a good show and I meant it. There was a wide range of items for all levels of collecting. I was responding to the one question as a casual collector of advertising who hasn't attended shows enough to know the "ins and outs". For me personally, as a casual collector with a couple hundred bucks to spend, I wouldn't travel hours, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it for others. I mentioned that I was surprised how many people were packing up before noon not as a complaint by any means, but just as an observation. I found out about the show the night before and couldn't leave my area until a little after 10am. Internet searches didn't turn up much information on the show, so I just made the trip up to see what it was like and assumed it went all day. It's not bad that it didn't, I just didn't realize that people started packing up that early. Now I know.

Hopefully that helps to clear things up. I know sometimes a "tone" can be read into something online, and I certainly didn't mean anything to sound like I was unhappy with the show.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post - it was the 'I wouldn't drive a few hours for it' comment that hit a nerve with me...all shows like this are dependent on vendors and collectors to travel varying distances to make the show worthwhile...I mean, how many gas/oil collectors actually live in Des Moines? I'm sure there are some, but not enough to make Iowa Gas what it is...

...but hey, I'm glad you enjoyed the show, and sincerely hope you'll come back next year - it's always the weekend before St. Patrick's Day, and the advertising auction is an extra reason to attend...unfortunately, it's also a reason that vendors pack up early...I had to leave early as the person riding with me had to attend a funeral today...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
I understand. I truly only meant that from my point of view in my situation.

I didn't know about the auction until I got there, and didn't realize what type of auction it was until after I got home and looked at the fairground website and then went to the auctioneer's website. Again, now I know. It wouldn't have mattered since I had already spent the $ I had in building #7.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I Had a great time at the show and realized after seeing the venders (Other the Mancino & Burke) that I had plenty of great stuff and should have got a booth. I was surprised at the lack of pumps though. Next year I'm in, and am bringing plenty of fresh goodies from up north. I drove almost 10 hours but I love a road trip and the chance to meet great people and see our GREAT COUNTRY!

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was def gonna make an effort to go at the last minute (friday) and maybe set up outside on sat morning. My big mistake was splitting logs for 5 hours on friday...like 2.5 half cords worth! I actually was picking signs from my shed when my back told me otherwise. spent the rest of the evening on a heating pad and saturday sitting (mostly) with a frown on my face. LOL! Sunday, I took like 5 hikes just to feel better and it worked.

First time I've missed this show in like 5-6 years. frown

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Thanks to the hosts of Mason Dixon!

I made it up from SC for the show and had a great time. Though it was a bit windy and cold starting out both days the sun broke through and kept it from being chilly all day.

I was the fellow outside with the mix of signs, toys, and pedal vehicles. I sold enough to make the trip worthwhile and doubled up by going to the Farm Toy Auction & Show up in Taneytown Md afterwards.

Definitely was a nice collection of signs and such to be seen all over at Mason Dixon and even managed a bit of buying/trading for the return trip back for my local guys here in SC.

Great show and keep up the great work!

Paul T

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved