Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
LKYSPADE #314565 Sat Mar 24 2012 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"man up and teach us"....

When some of the new Collectors ask instead of demand... People will be more receptive to the new Collector...

Having knowledge is like owning a rare globe, pump, can, sign etc... Some (most) new Collectors haven't learned that simple fact.... Some do know the fact, and as you are doing, they complain that they haven't been given "the secret handshake". Just because one has decided they wanted to pick up a few Gas and Oil items, does it mean that one is automatically entitled to knowledge others have gathered...

Knowledge, as such, is precious. It is to be treasured and treated respectfully... I get the impression from what you type that you don't respect those that have the knowledge. I get the impression that you don't respect the hobby... You demand instead of ask, you tell us with knowledge that we MUST share and we must share on your terms, not our own....

When you have some knowledge, then you can set the terms in-which you dispense your knowledge... Until then... you can't dictate anything....

NO ONE gave us the knowledge we have... We worked for it... A good portion of us have been Collecting before the 'net, before the Guide Books, before the magazines, before "Old Gas" and "The Pit Stop". We were collecting BEFORE Peotone and Iowa Gas... We had to dig for information and knowledge... Most of us still dig, as "mining for information and knowledge is an important concept of the hobby to us... We don't demand that anyone give us their knowledge, we ask instead... We share and at times pool our knowledge... But we do it respectfully and with the idea that both/all parties will benefit from the sharing...

LKYSPADE, honestly I don't think you don't get it... The Experienced Collector DOES NOT HAVE TO ADAPT TO YOU, You have to adapt to him... The Experienced Collector has the knowledge and information that you NEED... It is NOT the other way around.... What do you have that the Experienced Collector does not already have? Do you have a better Collection? Most of the time.... No. Do you have the knowledge about the hobby? Again, most of the time... No.... So if you are disrespectful to the Experienced Collector why should they help you?

You even threw out this BS: "Do it with tact and style"... Nothing you typed had any tact and/or style... If you want respect? Treat others with respect...

Knowledge and this hobby is a "Two way Street", right now you are stuck at the end of a "Dead End Street" and you are out of gas....... But that is just my opinion.... Because of your attitude I have no problems not sharing... And as I beat that "dead horse again", I have 50 years in this hobby of knowledge and I am working to gain more each and every day...

I hope that Moderator's WILL NOT ever lock this thread.... I believe it is great that Collectors can give their differing points of view on the subject... And that is what each and every person is doing.... SO I hope that this thread will welcome those points of views... It can only make the hobby stronger, IMHO.......

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
LKYSPADE #314567 Sat Mar 24 2012 12:12 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Boy, do I feel sorry for Jim. He put together a great website and runs it with professionalism and passion for the hobby while showing respect for its members, yet still has to read negative comments about it on a weekly basis. Ironic as it is, it seems that most of the negative comments and posts come from members with over 3 years under their belt. And what are most of the negative comments about? Why the negativity and lack of respect on this site of course.

I would like to suggest that if you have a complaint to make about this site, or even support a complaint, then give a suggestion for a solution as well. I know Jim will listen, he always has. If you have no solution with the complaint, then, well, you’re just a complainer.

Bob Richards: I like your style of not only what you say, but how you say it.

Last edited by bppierce; Sat Mar 24 2012 12:16 PM.
huskybob #314573 Sat Mar 24 2012 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: huskybob
Thunder my boy....... that particular post was made before you and some other Oldgas members were involved in the "Hate Button" campaign against another Oldgasser a few years ago at Iowa Gas.
To me that is one of the darkest events to ever happen in the hobby.
As for the "bunch" I hang with now...... it's certainly better them than you. smile

As bppierce said about you in a recent thread.
"I have a total loss of respect."

Bob. First of all, I'm NOT your boy.

Secondly, you have conviently failed to remember, that I asked your friend where he got his facts. It was your friends that started the hate campaign, the picture stealing, and the lies!!! The very hate & lies that you choose to perpetuate.

Thirdly, I'm not concerned about any respect from you and/or your friends. That would only mean that I value your opinion.

And lastly, If your group is better than this group, go play with them, and dont come back. Most of your contributions here are hateful anyways, such as this one.

BTW Bob. Thanks for continuing the lies, spreading the hate, and making this personal, yet again!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #314582 Sat Mar 24 2012 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Terry Flannery
Remember when we didn't collect plastic signs..........

No.

Originally Posted By: LKYSPADE
The younger collectors can just get their stuff directly anymore.My best friends dad was a picker and collected a pole barn of stuff.You CAN'T do that anymore! Not here near Chicago. You might end up with a bullet in your butt.

Sure you can,if you respect them & listen to them,and don't act entitled.
Approach owners & their property with this and you won't wind up w/hot lead in your ###...even here in the windy city.
Then they'll probably invite you back,and share their experiences & more items with you,and you know what you have then?
..A new friend.

Thunder II #314584 Sat Mar 24 2012 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a question. Could one of you guys tell me what this bear is worth? I'm still not sure.....lol
Really IMO its about where your heart is at. Same thing I tell the new apprentices- If your hearts not in it, dont waste my time. If you dont love this stuff and are only in it for what you can suck out of it for your own personal gain then your in the wrong place.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by JimT; Sat Mar 24 2012 01:16 PM.
JimT #314585 Sat Mar 24 2012 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim, I really do love that bear!!!! LOL

He is one "Happy Bear"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Thunder II #314586 Sat Mar 24 2012 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...chastising Jack, because he published several books and expects to get paid for his work, is like yelling at the chef at a restaurant because he won't feed you for free - someone had to work to gather all of that information, make sense of it all, and present it in a way to make it easy to understand...if it was easy, pickers would do it...

...regarding pickers: they're just prospectors...they're in it for the money, period...too many of them watching 'reality' TV, and looking for a fast buck...

...'if it wasn't for pickers, where would collectors get stuff?' we'd find it themselves, or get it from other collectors...

...anyone who asks for a free appraisal, should expect to get their money's worth...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Sat Mar 24 2012 01:02 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #314590 Sat Mar 24 2012 01:32 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Here are a couple things that happened last week.
I helped a old man keep his 130 yr old historic hotel, by buying lots of stuff and listing his back bar on Ebay for 50k... check my ebay listings.
I paid lots to a lady,that could not keep her son in the hospital without it.
I have stories like this all the time. What does it all mean? Who knows, but its what I do and I am proud of it !!
PS, LOVE THAT Bear! I am not convinced its homemade. Did lots of searching, still cant find it anywhere.

always lookin #314597 Sat Mar 24 2012 02:06 PM
I learned when I was selling newspapers as my first job that you couldn't please everyone. Here we are over 50 years later and more and more people are harder to please than ever.

I learned long ago that people who couldn't let a grudge go, would wind up letting it upset them for decades with nothing to show for it.

I learned long ago that some folks would never agree, but the ones who were most at peace and got the most done were able to find a way to work with people who don't agree with them.

I learned not to worry much about people who get so seriously upset about things that are not really all that big, when you consider the big picture of life.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
always lookin #314603 Sat Mar 24 2012 02:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A majority of this bickering lately has been about and against the "pickers" ....the ones that only got interested in petro-collectibles when they found out about the major money that can be made from it's sale. They are ONLY in it for the money. If it wasn't for the money to be made....they would not spend two minutes on this site. They only come on here to do quick and lazy research to price their goods.

Long ago I posted that this site should ban the free appraisels....asking of values. I perceived that was not the intentions of this site. That went over like a lead balloon. Later the subject of a seperate catagory for these appraisels was brought up...I whole heartedly agreed that this was a good compromise so this escalating amount of value questions did not clutter the general discussion.

If free appraisels were banned...a lot of these perceived freeloaders would just go away, or not even register. They would have to put forth a little effort to research their asking prices themselves. That value section is becoming more of a problem all the time....and to me it is of little value to anyone who really cares about collectng. There are ample ways to value something these days..without a bunch of collectors (and pickers)disagreeing with each other....starting these bickering sessions.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Mr.Wadhams #314609 Sat Mar 24 2012 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams

If free appraisels were banned...a lot of these perceived freeloaders would just go away, or not even register. They would have to put forth a little effort to research their asking prices themselves. That value section is becoming more of a problem all the time....and to me it is of little value to anyone who really cares about collectng. There are ample ways to value something these days..without a bunch of collectors (and pickers)disagreeing with each other....starting these bickering sessions.

Jim

Instead of them moving on they would just load up the General section and ask the values there. It is what it is. I read the value only section only for the purpose to try and help the other moderators with it. There is really no reason that a person who dislikes the value section ever has to open it.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Mr.Wadhams #314610 Sat Mar 24 2012 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remember when you could get an answer to your question? I don't see what's wrong with the value section. It's part of the education to be gained on this site. If someone found something and is not a collector but a picker or wanna be picker who cares. Give a value if you have one.
Don't look at this section if you don't like it, or respond if you don't have a value or positive comment. The best way to learn is to ask questions. The best way to turn someone off is to make them feel like their questions are stupid and of no value. That won't help perpetuate the hobby. Not all know about the books and value guides. Maybe at the top of the value section a list of the value guides and books that are out there for those who want to try and educate themselves. I'm a sign guy but if I found a globe, pump or air meter the value section should be a logical place to go to ask a question. One or two request of value should not make you a book buyer. More than that, I think the books and guides are the next step in the education process.( I bought them all but still ask questions) Keep up the value section. Don't go there if you don't like it.

bustermonty #314616 Sat Mar 24 2012 03:42 PM
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
The main change that I have seen over the years esp since ebay is that your knowledge has become worthless. Collecting and dealing is a game of knowledge and memory. Now you can go online and get all of the information for free. I spent thousands on price guides and auction catalogs over the years. Also there used to be different levels of dealers. From the guy that bought things at garage sales and sold at local flea market to local ,regional and national dealers. There have always been pickers or every thing would hve been sent to the dump.

kburkett #314625 Sat Mar 24 2012 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Might be out of context. Knowledge is never worthless. Knowledge is everything!

Ryan Underthun #314628 Sat Mar 24 2012 04:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun
Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams

Jim

Instead of them moving on they would just load up the General section and ask the values there.

And then moderators like you would remove their posting for rules violations! smile

The only times I posted a question on the values section was being curious what values would be posted on a particuliar item....not because I needed a value. I post my opinion of values if I know them at times....but I really don't know why???

Bickering threads are fun to read anyway!

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved