Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paddy, Bet they are Die-cut like the EN-AR-CO sign boy w/ exception of him wearing Hawaiian Shirts & Sneakers? wink

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess I am a dinosaur...I use the business card function on an old word perfect program and do my own cards with my own art on both sides of them. I use double sided mat photo paper and cut them myself. Other than crying on the cards if my prices seem too high, I don't anticipate them getting wet. I also get as much contact information as I can and usually send a follow up e-mail, cataloging their information in the process so I am not depending on the cards. Sometimes I don't bug people for their infomation and just give them the card. I can figure out pretty quickly if someone is interested. The problem in my line of work is that people can enjoy looking at my stuff without the pull of owning something! cry

My neighbor is a printer and I could get 1000 high quality cards for free but I like doing 20 to 40 at a time so I can change out the art. I guess they are not going to be as durable, but the folks that get them aren't going to keep them in a stack of cards in their wallets that they will be shuffling through and wearing down on a regular basis to get parts etc, so it works for me.

Nicole #315980 Fri Mar 30 2012 10:11 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Somewhere you all got off the subject KW asked about, he was asking about the design, not the cost of the cards.
He is looking for a design that he would like.

Every time I get a piece of service station literature I scan it, I have over 800 gb of scan pictures, and over 500 CDs filled with pictures, let me know what kind of a design you want and I'll see if I have something you might like. I even have a file that I started years ago titled "Business card images," just in case I need one. No charge, I remember the nice Coke machine you sold me a few years ago.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #316019 Sat Mar 31 2012 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had mine done by "Vistaprint" and they are OK, but you have to do all the custom layout yourself. And if it does not come out right, there is no, "do over". I forgot to put my email on the first ones.......Dah..
I am sure the pros on here would deliver a much nicer card. I would have one of the guys on here do my next ones.

Last edited by Old Racer; Sat Mar 31 2012 06:17 AM. Reason: typo

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Old Racer #316241 Sun Apr 01 2012 08:42 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
here are mines

Nucky #316259 Sun Apr 01 2012 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Def a COOL card design John. Looks like a coke machine and without any copyright issues minus the Coca-Cola logo!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin,

While my petro collection is pretty pitiful (my money goes to expensive paints), I am very visual and I think these are general tips that could be helpful:

Think about your target audience. If it includes the general public, keep it simple. Anything technical may stop them from reading the whole card because they'll think it isn't for them. If there is more than one target audience, does it make sense to have more than one type of card?

In addition to handing them out, are the cards going in a holder for a show? Are you leaving them on someone's doorstop. ETC.

Must haves are of course contact information, but also a website (or as Nucky did a blog) address. You can't cram all your best visual stuff on the card, so the card becomes the opener for your website of wares or services. Almost everyone, even seniors, go on the net, tho I would also have a nice slim notebook sized portfolio with decent sized photos on hand when handing out your cards, because there are a few old timers who do not do the internet.

Do you want the back of the card blank so you can write additional infomation on it? Like the time you will be meeting them at their home, etc. They are more likely to loose that scrap of paper you wrote the info on than your business card, or will look at that scrap and wonder who they were to meet. One-sided cards limit how much you can put on the front.

Definitly a simple graphic that sums up what you do, with clear contact information as Wes and James have. Though I must say Nucky was able to combine an over-the-top eye catching graphic on a one-sided card with text.

If the target audience is over 40, and it probably will be, make the text bigger if you have the space. I hate getting out a magnifying glass to see someone's phone number.

Also if you do multi colors, make sure the text stands out and is easy to read. Don't assume that red will stand out on green if, for example they are the same value (same darkness or lightness). If they were different values, they would stand out. Do some mock cards and have older friends and family tell you which is easiest to read. A professional printer should also be able to tell you which color format, plus what fonts you choose are the easiest read. I'm guessing most printers will tell you not to go too crazy with colors and fonts.

If you have text on both sides, you can add more stuff to it with graphics with contact info on one side and the second side only text. Old Racer's a great example of that. You can't mistake from his graphic that this is a serious collector of lots of kinds of petro stuff. And the text clearly shows what he is looking for. His card would also do well as a table top hand out, or perhaps in his case, something to leave on the door stop.

Sorry to run on, but I thought these tips might help. smile

Nicole #316352 Sun Apr 01 2012 06:43 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
QUOTE-IF YOUR TARGET IS OVER 40-BIG BLACK LETTERS.

I'll vote for that,or just hand them out to eyeglass wearers

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Kevin,
This matchbook cover would make a great design for your business cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160778834649&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved